• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jk2paintworx
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2017

Lightweight build Questions

I am brand new to the forum as well as the 6.5 platform and I am building a AR for Coyote hunting. I want it as light as possible (within reason$$). I would like a left eject side charge upper but they seem to add some weight so I'm not set on it. I have a Gibbz side charge on another build but as I mentioned it is heavy. Does anyone know the weight of the Quality arms side charger or any other options to consider?
    How about a lightweight barrel? So far Ballistic Advantage is at the top of the list.

I want this rifle to be as accurate as possible and open to build ideas for Barrel, BCG, Receivers...
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

Not 100% sure of the weight but BCA makes a left eject side charging upper..

Quite a few good lightweight barrel options depending on the length you prefer. Alexander Arms, Lilja, and JP all make top notch 18" lightweight barrels.

Alexander Arms, and Odin Works are my favorite 16" lightweight barrels. Odin Works get the nod for weight, but in a 16" I like the AA 1:7.5 twist a wee tiny bit more than the standard 1:8. Both will stabilize the 123s and most common projectiles.

I went with the Odin Works simply because for around $400 they sell a complete BCG and Bolt, Barrel, tunable gas block and has tube.

Whatever you roll with i would strongly recommend making sure it's a SAAMI spec chamber and .136 Bolt.

Most reports claim the BA stuff is very good, I just have extremely limited research on them myself.

Comment

• Jk2paintworx
      Unwashed
      • Aug 2017

Thanks Kilco. Looking for a 16" barrel. I looked into the Odin and the fact that it comes with bolt, block... Is appealing.

Comment

• Lastrites
        Warrior
        • Apr 2017

If you're eyeing the Odin package, take a look at DSarms built Odin upper too while your at it, for $600 your getting a complete upper that seems to be a good value and is pretty light weight. I took the plunge on the above and have no regrets, well not until I saw the new LaRue upper get offered, lol. Water over the bridge occurrence.

Comment

• howl
          Warrior
          • Nov 2015

Fella on rokslide did one not much over three pounds. Good source of ideas, though getting too light makes them less "shootable."

Comment

• Jk2paintworx
            Unwashed
            • Aug 2017

I have looked into complete uppers but they always end up needing parts switched out to get exactly what I want. I am into quality over quantity when it comes to my rifles and I really enjoy putting em together how I want.
            How are the Odin barrels as far as accuracy. The offer 1.5moa guarantee which doesn't seem very promising as far as confidence. I am looking for Sub MOA in all of my rifles. I always get there but sometimes it takes some tweeking so I understand how it would be hard to "guarantee" anything as far as a barrel mfg goes but 1.5 doesn't sound appealing. How are the Satern Barrels? Also. I looked at LARUE but I don't see a 6.5G barrel offered.
            Who makes the BEST Lightweight 16" 6.5 barrel? Probably a tough one to answer.
            I tried to find the thread on the LW build on Rokslide but I am not familiar with that forum and didn't find it. Would like to see how he did it though. My goal would be 6# with optic and lefty side charge upper.

Comment

• NugginFutz
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Jk2paintworx View Post
              I have looked into complete uppers but they always end up needing parts switched out to get exactly what I want. I am into quality over quantity when it comes to my rifles and I really enjoy putting em together how I want.
              That's how I'm able to build my brush guns on the cheap. "Just add lower" and stir.

... I am looking for Sub MOA in all of my rifles. I always get there but sometimes it takes some tweeking so I understand how it would be hard to "guarantee" anything as far as a barrel mfg goes but 1.5 doesn't sound appealing.
              Hence the rationale for purchasing an assembled upper from a reputable manufacturer. I'm not recommending any particular source, but Precision Firearms and Larue Tactical both put together some very high quality uppers. Plus, Larue is running an insanely great deal at this moment. If you decide to buy one of those and still end up taking off components, I would be shocked if you couldn't sell them instantly.

How are the Satern Barrels? Also. I looked at LARUE but I don't see a 6.5G barrel offered.

Larue is presently not offering barrels, just uppers and complete rifles.
              Satern has been acknowledged by several members here as being some of the better shooting barrels.

BEST Lightweight 16" 6.5 Barrel? With such a subjective question, you will get a plethora of opinions, and you'll still end up researching that on your own.

For a short list, consider these for accuracy:

Lilja
              Bartlein
              Shilen
              Kreiger

Money? Ok, then consider
              AA
              Faxton
              BCA

I'm sure the Horde will chime in with some other (better?) suggestions.

Good luck in your quest.
              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Jk2paintworx
                Unwashed
                • Aug 2017

I have always put my own ARs together and have had great luck. Are complete uppers typically more accurate than ones assembled from high end parts? I do like that Larue lightweight upper.

Comment

• Kilco
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2016

How are the Odin barrels as far as accuracy. The offer 1.5moa guarantee which doesn't seem very promising as far as confidence. I am looking for Sub MOA in all of my rifles. I always get there but sometimes it takes some tweeking so I understand how it would be hard to "guarantee" anything as far as a barrel mfg goes but 1.5 doesn't sound appealing. How are the Satern Barrels? Also. I looked at LARUE but I don't see a 6.5G barrel offered.
                  I tried to find the thread on the LW build on Rokslide but I am not familiar with that forum and didn't find it. Would like to see how he did it though. My goal would be 6# with optic and lefty side charge upper.
                  I actually called Odin about that. Their 18" and 20" barrels say "1 moa guarantee" wile the 16" said 1.5. Their tech guy Aaron explained they are made with the same style reamer, but based on the less rigidity of the ultralite 16" (which goes for any lightweight barrel) it might be slightly more picky about ammo. Especially since most people using the 16" barrels are either using hunting ammunition or blaster/steel case ammo.

He assured me his personal 16" build with good ammo is every bit as accurate as the 18" and 20" barrels. I have been more than impressed with mine with both factory ammo and handloads.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Jk2paintworx
                    Unwashed
                    • Aug 2017

Nuggin. The complete upper I was looking at isnt the LARUE, it's the AA LW Upper w fluted button rifled barrel. At $714 it seems like a decent deal. However I would want to add a raptor charging handle and a SLR adj block so I could probably do cheaper w Odin barrel,block, BCG..
                    I looked into the LARUE and I don't see a lightweight upper in 6.5. They have something they call a stealth upper but I don't see it in 6.5G. Their site isn't the easiest to navigate though so maybe I'm missing something.
                    I am really wanting something nice, light and accurate so if buying a complete upper is a better way to go I'm open to it.
                    Does shooting with a Supressor have a negative effect on a LW 16" barrel?

Comment

• js8588
                      Warrior
                      • Jul 2017

Nuggin. The complete upper I was looking at isnt the LARUE, it's the AA LW Upper w fluted button rifled barrel. At $714 it seems like a decent deal. However I would want to add a raptor charging handle and a SLR adj block so I could probably do cheaper w Odin barrel,block, BCG..
                      I looked into the LARUE and I don't see a lightweight upper in 6.5. They have something they call a stealth upper but I don't see it in 6.5G. Their site isn't the easiest to navigate though so maybe I'm missing something.
                      I am really wanting something nice, light and accurate so if buying a complete upper is a better way to go I'm open to it.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

I have always put my own ARs together and have had great luck. Are complete uppers typically more accurate than ones assembled from high end parts? I do like that Larue lightweight upper.
                        You might want to look at this...

If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Jk2paintworx
                          Unwashed
                          • Aug 2017

Thanks. I Wish LARUE had a 16"LW barrel. Starting to get the feeling that they are the top of the heap as far as Grendel stuff. Might be worth sacrificing some weight. Hmmmmm.

Comment

• js8588
                            Warrior
                            • Jul 2017

Thanks. I Wish LARUE had a 16"LW barrel. Starting to get the feeling that they are the top of the heap as far as Grendel stuff. Might be worth sacrificing some weight. Hmmmmm.
                            Or just wait. I'm sure 6.5 Grendel Larue barrels will be released in time.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

You might consider buying the Alexander Arms 16" fluted stainless steel 6.5 Grendel barrel for $195. Build an upper in the configuration you want and test the waters to see if the 6.5 Grendel attributes satisfy your needs. If the AA barrel doesn't produce the accuracy you desire swap it for a higher grade barrel later. You could order a top tier barrel from PF or other custom shop. If your wanting to build a top of the line upper now you could get a top quality Lilja or JP barrel or upper. Lilja and JP usually are in hand just a few days after you place an order. There are a few vendors who stock JP barrels and uppers.
                              Last edited by VASCAR2; 08-08-2017, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X