• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lone Hunter
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

Questions on Hornady 123 gr ELD M

I have read Double Naught Spy's review of the 123 gr ELD M for hogs. Does anybody have any different outcomes for them on deer or a comparable animal. They shoot super great out of my weapon and I would really like to hunt with them but I would like to see if anyone has had positive or negative responses. I have. BHW 20" barrel and using 8208 powder. The SST and NBT shot ok but nothing like the ELD M. I don't have the chance to try them out on deer until season opens so just varmints for now. I would like to shoot this bullet because of the great accuracy. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated..
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

I have yet to shoot anything but groundhogs with them, and they have been very messy lol..

Looks life full expansion half way through the chuck, and a massive exit wound.

Double Naught Spy has done the most extensive and RL testing on these bullets, and Hogs are a good representation of how they will perform terminally even in mich larger game. Hogs are tough!

I'll be using them for whitetail this fall, since my gun seemingly hates the 123 SST.

Some pics of varmint blasted with the 123 ELD-M from 100-200 yards.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
      Warrior
      • Feb 2017

They work great... no exit on the big one, others don't remember, range was about 15 yards.

Comment

• Lone Hunter
        Warrior
        • Jan 2017

Kilco, that's pretty impressive expansion. The deer I hunt are from 80 lbs small size to 200 lbs large size. This is gutted weight though. DNS is not that impressed with them. My gun shoots the SST OK but it shoots the ELD M fantastic. Haven't had a chance to kill anything with them yet as its too dang hot to do anything here except shoot right ar daylight to about an hour after. Kilco, Thanks for the reply and good luck this season.

Comment

• Lone Hunter
          Warrior
          • Jan 2017

Bowhntr6pt, Thanks for the reply. I'm shooting from base of tree to the 200 yds in the food plots. I really like how they shoot. Almost as good as my match rifle and it shoots but it is a bolt gun. Looking forward to hunting with an AR this year.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Hogs have a smaller vital zone when looking at their lung location in reference to the scapulae. DNS reports that the SST kills quicker for him, but the ELD-Ms still killed.

For deer, I wouldn't worry about it as much.

I also wouldn't worry if your SST loads shoot 2 MOA even, because you are well within cone of error in the vital zone still.

POA = center of 10" vital zone at 200yds. In no wind, your POI is within 4" of POA, and even the "bad-grouping" little carbines will group 2" or less in most cases.

A lot of deer have been killed with the 123gr AMAX, and the ELD-M has the exact same construction with the AMP jacket and uniform lead core, only with a new tip that doesn't matter for Grendel anyway.

Hornady does recommend using the SST for hunting though.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Lone Hunter
              Warrior
              • Jan 2017

Thanks for the reply LRRPF52, I guess I am OCD when it comes to accuracy. The ELD M shoots real small 5 shot groups. This gets my attention. The 120 Sierra and 123 SST will shoot but not as well. Under an inch. It's kinda like shooting SMKs I guess. On this lease I'm on about 200 yds is about all I can shoot in the food plots. Never hunted deer with an AR and want to try this year. Going to give the ELD M a try but going to try some Berger's also. Really liking the Grendel.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Here's a 123gr ELD-M buddy of mine just shared with me. "300yds, deer. Running, stopped to sniff. Dropped in right behind the diaphragm and took the top off the heart before coming to rest just under the skin in the sternal notch."

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Lone Hunter
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2017

Pretty good looking bullet for 300 yds. Hopefully I can get one to look like that this season. Thanks for the picture and info. I'm going to try some more loads tomorrow but the ELD M so far has out shot everything.

Comment

Working...
                  X