• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steamburn
    Warrior
    • Apr 2015

16" Barrel's Load Development

Published loads centered around a 16" barrel are very scarce. Most of them are done on 20" barrels.
    I wondered how those loads would work in my 16" AA barrelled AR15.
    After reading all I could on the matter, I chose as propellant ARComp. My bullets of choice, with the intention of hunting white tails, are the Hornady SST 123 gr.
    Up to know I had only shot factory loads, Hornady AMax with which I obtained groups of about 1 1/8" at 100 yrds with the AA barrel. On my previous build, I used a Precision Firearms 16" barrel and the groups with the same ammo were consistent at <0.75".

Components were as follows:
    Primers: CCI 450
    Shells: Hornady, one use, full sized with Hornady dies.
    Bullets: Hornady 123gr, SST
    Powder: Alliant ARComp

Cartridge overall length 2.249" with a very light crimp at the cannelure.

Yesterday I went to the range and here are the results:
    ARComp. Grouping
    26.6 gr. 2.16"
    26.9 gr. 1.2"
    27.2 gr. 0.77"
    27.5 gr. 1.40"
    27.8 gr. 1.26"

Neither the 27.5 or the 27.8 gr loadings showed any signs of over preassure.

It looks that my rifle likes the 27.2 gr loading, but I need to refine these preeliminary findings, so I prepared today a new series around the 27.2 gr loading as follows:

ARComp
    27.0 gr
    27.1 gr
    27.2 gr
    27.3 gr
    27.4 gr

I'll report on my findings next time I get the chance to go to the range.
    Last edited by Steamburn; 08-06-2017, 09:04 PM.
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

I am also a 16" fan, and in always looking for more data for thay specific length. I was getting some pretty amazing groups with 28gr ARC under the 123 ELD-M, but my velocity was about 40 fps slower than my pet load of 8208.

Keep me posted with your findings and velocity.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

There are 22 different loads across a wide range of projectiles and powders in Volume II of the Grendel Handbooks for 16" barrels.

They include everything from the 100gr Nosler Ballistic Tip to the 123gr SST.

You can use the velocity estimator graph from Volume I and JASmith's shooter's notes velocity estimator program if you have data for one barrel length or charge weight, and want another.

On the old site, we had sub-sections based on barrel lengths for reloading which I really enjoyed.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kilco
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
        There are 22 different loads across a wide range of projectiles and powders in Volume II of the Grendel Handbooks for 16" barrels.

They include everything from the 100gr Nosler Ballistic Tip to the 123gr SST.

You can use the velocity estimator graph from Volume I and JASmith's shooter's notes velocity estimator program if you have data for one barrel length or charge weight, and want another.

On the old site, we had sub-sections based on barrel lengths for reloading which I really enjoyed.
        I'm giving AA till Thursday to ship out VOLUME 1 and 2. If not, I'm ordering them directly from the build box.

Comment

• s3silver
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

I have (2) 16" grendels. They both shoot very well with varget. I never did like ARcomp. I just started messing with cfe223, which a like alot.

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Steam, you will get about 25 fps. less per inch of -shorter bbl. Drop down just a few tenths of a grain , It should be a fine start spot--- usually nice from the start -there.

Powders than burn a tic faster work well with the 16--14.5" tubes

I started with RL 7--- then switched to H335. Love it big time

I'm getting 2999 fps. with an 80 Gmx pill. Just nasty on whitetails - 16" tube. JASmith was the imputis behind this wt. -I like the 95---105 Gmx's.

Those that have the recent Shooting Times mag. Check the speeds they posted for the 6mm Creedmore -Ruger rifle.

Same as mine- yet they use the 22" tube. For an 80 Gmx pill.

I won.

Plus no lead smear into the meat.
            Last edited by sneaky one; 08-19-2017, 12:51 AM.

Comment

• Kilco
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
              Steam, you will get about 25 fps. less per inch of -shorter bbl. Drop down just a few tenths of a grain , It should be a fine start spot--- usually nice from the start -there.

Powders than burn a tic faster work well with the 16--14.5" tubes

I started with RL 7--- then switched to H335. Love it big time

I'm getting 2999 fps. with an 80 Gmx pill. Just nasty on whitetails - 16" tube.
              Okay sneaky, what quest can I complete ton get my hands on that pill and that load. VERY interested.

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

PM me

Comment

Working...
                X