• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FloridaGuy
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2017

New to the 6.5 Grendel

I am looking to build a 6.5 Grendel Upper to swap out on my AR-15. It will only be a target gun I may try to stretch it out to see how far it will shoot. I have access to a 1000 yard range and that is where I shoot my 6.5 Creedmoor.

So far I have a Ground Zero Upper receiver and gas block. I am going to put a Nikon Monarch 3 scope on it. Any suggestions on a quality barrel looking for a 20" stainless steel heavy barrel. Any other suggestions or comments would be great.

Will also be building a dedicated lower for this Upper in the near future.

Thanks
    sigpicUSCCA Certified Firearms Instructor.
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

Budget? The Horde is very good and spending your money.
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• FloridaGuy
      Unwashed
      • Aug 2017

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
      Budget? The Horde is very good and spending your money.
      For the total gun build including both the lower and upper receivers I am looking at no more than $2000.00.
      sigpicUSCCA Certified Firearms Instructor.

Comment

• Kilco
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2016

If you are looking for a dedicated 1000 yard Grendel barrel, I would highly recommend the 22" JP barrel/bolt combo. Top tier in every way. Combine those with a good trigger, depending if you like two-stage or single stage, and you have the makings of a very effective long range Grendel.

For 1000 yard shooting in would probably recommend the 123 Scenar and 123 SMK, if you are hand loading. If not, look at both the Hornady Black ammo and Fedral Gold medal 130gr Berger offering.

You will probably need a 20 moa base, and a scope with a respectable amount of adjustment.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

My Opinion buy the best barrel you can afford. If you plan on shooting past 800 yards I'd recommend a 20 MOA one piece mount.

My suggestions on 20" barrel.

Lilja
          JP
          Shilen (I bought 20" DCM profile)
          Larue
          Precision Firearms
          AA
          Odin Works
          Ballistic Advantage

Mounts

I bought Aadmount
          Night Force
          Larue
          Geissele
          ADM
          Leupold
          Vortex

My next priority would be a good trigger. I like two stage triggers, Geissele and Larue MBT get great reviews as do many single stage triggers. I have used many RRA National Match and Geissele G2S triggers. Armalite two stage triggers get good reviews but I have no personal experience with them.
          Last edited by VASCAR2; 08-08-2017, 03:55 AM.

Comment

• hikfromstik
            Warrior
            • Oct 2016

Vltor MUR upper ( thicker and barrels fit tight ) or BCM ,seekens ,mega , JP ,or lantac etc... , I will vouch for the Vltor MUR . Lilja ,bartlein , kreiger , Shillen or JP barrels . Any upper tier forearm ( geissele, JP , slr, LMT , seekens ,Troy ,Yankee Hill, Midwest industry etc... ) . Get good quality bolt that will match the barrel chamber ( saami or Grendel 1 or 2 chamber ). Mega makes great matching upper lower billet sets as does Seekens and a few more companies if you want billet . Vltor makes a complete lower or stripped . BCM has a great enhanced lower parts kit with a good trigger ,but for $2000 I'd go geissele ssa or high speed Nation match or timney . Butt stocks are a personal preference . I went balls to the wall and got Magpul PRS stock. That'll get you close to your budget . Then you can work your way to other premium goodies like ambi charging handle, Atlas bipod/monopod , barrel break , JP silent captured spring . WARNING: Wifey problem can happen ,fare warning ,lol . These items are just my personal opinion of what parts I find to be top quality . I'm sure I forgot a few manufactures , but it's a good list of the top tier parts makers . If you have the dough then buy once and cry once, especially on optics .

Comment

• StoneHendge
              Chieftain
              • May 2016

kilco beat me to the punch. A 22" Jp barrel kit should enable you to stay in your budget. Mine was under $800 after 10% off, but I did pay extra to go black Teflon and did get the thermal dissipator (highly recommended). Kit includes barrel, comp, adj gas block, gas tube and the easiest To clean ar15 bolt your ever lay your paws on. Don't be put off by the extra 2", you'll need every fps you can get to reach 1k at sea level. My Jp does factory black at 5/8 MOA and my pet load better than I can shoot paper.
              Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• AZBackcountry
                Bloodstained
                • Nov 2016

I really like my JP Supermatch barrel. I bought the Thermal Dissipator which I don't need as a hunter, but it seems to cool down the barrel completely between target practice shots. You will probably need it to keep the barrel at an even temp during competition.
                Life is fun when your ammo budget is more than your house payment.

Comment

• Rockfish Dave
                  Bloodstained
                  • Feb 2016

Selling my JP 22" Med contour barrel with SLR adjustable gas block and nitrided gas tube at a deep discount. You will need a 1.8 or larger inner diameter hand guard if it is a key mod or Mlok to give room for the mounting hardware.

It is new, and cerakoted FDE for my build, but the hand guard is too narrow. A seekins suppressor compatible hand guard would work perfect.

It is still unfired.
                  Last edited by Rockfish Dave; 08-15-2017, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• hPaul
                    Unwashed
                    • Aug 2017

Originally posted by FloridaGuy View Post
                    For the total gun build including both the lower and upper receivers I am looking at no more than $2000.00.
                    "Budget"

Comment

Working...
                    X