AR15 cutaway and detailed breakdown of operarions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

AR15 cutaway and detailed breakdown of operarions.

Absolutely love this channel. Guy has been a Black rifle Enthusiast and guru for many years.

Has years working for Colt, and the author of Black Rifle 2.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

The most overlooked aspect and least understood is explained well in the video:

Notice that there are 3 critical Internal Diameters inside the AR15 carrier.

1. Is the initial bore diameter up front for the bolt guide band/ring, which helps keep the bolt centered in the carrier.

2. Moving back, you see the gas ring compression bore ID.

3. At the rear of the bolt bore, you have the bolt tail bore ID, which is a very important tolerance for the bolt tail. With a gun that has an out of spec carrier, this diameter will be too large, and carbon will conspicuously fill your FCG pocket in the lower receiver.

I have seen carriers that have rough tooling marks that were then hard chromed over in the bolt bore, which will eat gas rings like cookie monster, then the gun will short-stroke because you lost your gas seal after a few hundred-1000 rounds. Just one of the many things I look at when inspecting parts before they go into a blaster.

Just because I order a part doesn't mean it goes into a rifle, so I have my own reject rate on parts.
    Last edited by LRRPF52; 08-09-2017, 01:14 AM.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

Wow love the info! I read one of your earlier posts on this, and between your write ups and his videos my understanding of how these rifles work has increased exponentially.

Thank you for taking the time to share this knowledge.

Comment

• Troutguide
        Warrior
        • Jan 2017

I'll take any reject parts and do my best to wear them out.
        "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

Working...
        X