• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickt300
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

Wolf classic steel case loaded with ARComp and 129 gr. Hornady SP

I ordered 600 of the Hornady 129 gr, Spire points when Midway had their blem sale planning to use them for night hog hunting. I ordered 500 rounds of the Wolf Military Classic 100 gr FMJ for play and testing. Well they play all right and the estimated 3.5 inch groups are proven in my rifle. I decided to find out what I could do with the Hornady bullets in these cases. They hold 1/2 grain less powder than the Hornady Brass. I pulled the FMJ, chamfered the case mouth, filled it with 25.7 grains of ARComp and checked seating till The bullets didn't touch the rifling, COAL turns out to be a short 2.180 though the lead nose varies a bit + or - .005. First shots were very promising 1 1/4 inch group for the first three shot, hitting a bit low 3/4 of an inch. Primers are more rounded at the edges and not flattened at all compared to the factory load. Loaded up 17 more and found the load to be a near MOA round. I don't know exactly what velocity I am pushing but even if it's only 2200 fps it is still fine for hog hunting at less than 150 yards, fifty yards farther than I would normally shoot at night. 16 inch BCA M4 copy upper.
  • Troutguide
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

Cool I ordered the 129 bonded. Not there yet reloading but this is interesting still.
    "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

I think Hornady steel match would make a great factory option.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• rickt300
        Warrior
        • Jan 2017

Well I put together another 40 rounds. I found that 1-2 out of 20 cases is sort of hard to seat the bullet in. Accuracy is right at MOA with three shots, have not had any fliers like the factory ammo does. I really am not a powder cruncher but even with only 25.7 grains of ARComp you can hear the powder crunch as you seat the bullet. However accuracy is fine, pressure seems mild and the load functions perfectly.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

One of these days I'm tempted to try the Wolf steel case 6.5 Grendel with 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. I'd like to try them with the factory powder but also do a comparison with H-335 and IMR8208XBR.

Comment

• rickt300
            Warrior
            • Jan 2017

I have been saving the powder for a future project, maybe work up a 30-30 load. If I had any 100 grain Ballistic Tips or Partitions I would test them too.

Comment

• pajasonc
              Warrior
              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
              One of these days I'm tempted to try the Wolf steel case 6.5 Grendel with 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. I'd like to try them with the factory powder but also do a comparison with H-335 and IMR8208XBR.
              I considered doing this as well. Would be interesting to see how much difference the bullet would make. My experience is the wolf factory is a 3" load where as the hornady stuff is 1" to 1.5"(5 shots). My guess the 3 inch groups are probably caused by both powder and bullet and the noslers would be around 2" with the factory powder.

Comment

• CastorTroy
                Warrior
                • Mar 2015

has anyone pulled 20-30 bullets and weighed the individual powder charges? i feel like they must not be very accurate considering the high ES and SD of this ammo

Comment

• StoneHendge
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2016

Can someone enlighten me as to the purpose of doing this? Not the first time I've seen it. Is it because the ammo shoots so poorly you want to use the case/primer? Or is it just for sh!ts and giggles....
                  Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

100gr and 120gr NBTs used to be some of the most accurate loads on the forum back about 8 years ago.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• rickt300
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2017

Well the original load doesn't shoot all that well! I have three reasons, I like to hunt at night and don't want to hunt with a brass catcher on my rifle, the steel case is expendable. Second it is easy to get an accurate hunting load this way and third it is cheap. I am not losing anything other than the crap bullet that goes into the trash can as I pull it.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                        Chieftain
                        • May 2016

Ahhhhhhh - expendable case -gotchya! But maybe you should save the bullets and get a slingshot for your SHTF stash
                        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• VASCAR2
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

It would be interesting to take the 100 grain bimetal Wolf/Branual FMJ and load them in PPU or Hornady cases to see if the accuracy improved. I like to experiment and changing one component can affect accuracy either positive or negative. I've gotten good accuracy with a couple of 100 grain bullets using 29.0 grains of H-335, not super fast but very accurate, would be a good place to start with the Wolf 100 grain FMJ. The 100 grain FMJ bimetal bullets could still be used for short range blasting ammo. I wouldn't be surprised to see 1-2 MOA with the 100 grain FMJ in brass cases with good primer and powder.

I treat my PPU brass as expendable as it is only good for a few reloads but for higher volume varmint control the steel cases would be desireable. If Hornady sold a steel cased 123 grain SST in 6.5 Grendel for $8-$10 for 20 rounds it would always be out of stock as hunters would stack it deep.
                          Last edited by VASCAR2; 08-09-2017, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• rickt300
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2017

I just loaded 20 more and checked the powder charge in 6 of them, +or- 3 tenths of a grain. Don't think that is the cause for the poor accuracy. Looking at the bullets themselves shows the lead is not at the same level at the base of the bullet on all of them. Plus there is a void in the front of the bullet under the tip. Crap bullet I think.

Comment

• CastorTroy
                              Warrior
                              • Mar 2015

I emailed Hornady this morning. At first they said no because nobody makes steel Grendel cases they could use. I informed them of the Wolf/Barnaul Grendel(which is who I assume they get their steel cases from), and he said he'd pass it onto their engineering department.

Comment

Working...
                              X