• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pajasonc
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by CastorTroy View Post
    I emailed Hornady this morning. At first they said no because nobody makes steel Grendel cases they could use. I informed them of the Wolf/Barnaul Grendel(which is who I assume they get their steel cases from), and he said he'd pass it onto their engineering department.
    Yeah they already get the 7.62x39 casings somewhere, they already make grendel ammo, shouldn't be that hard for them to do. Thing is would it make them a profit and would barnaul sell them the cases at a good price. It would definitely sell if they put a 123 sst in a steel case for 50 cents a round.

Comment

• joedirt199
      Warrior
      • Jul 2015

So I took on the project of pulling wolf military bullets for use in fireforming a bunch of 7.62x39 cases. $5 a box of 20 makes for cheap bullets and the powder can be reused in fireforming as well. Hornady collet bullet puller works well to save the powder.

In measuring bullets and powder, I found out that the ball powder averaged 27.9 grs with a deviation .3 grains. Bullets averaged 100.3 grs with a deviation of 1.4 grs.

Will have to weight out the bullets and group them for better accuracy and consistency.

Comment

• rickt300
        Warrior
        • Jan 2017

Shot some of these loads in my Mini Grendel yesterday. 5 shots into .8 three times in a row. Bullets dug out of my backstop seem a bit more expanded than those from the 16 inch AR upper. Maybe an extra 100 fps does make a difference. Going to run 5 jugs next time.

Comment

• Ammon
          Unwashed
          • Jun 2017

If you use the powder and projectile for fire forming 7.62x39 brass, and you attribute the 100gr wolf projectile @ 10 cents, powder charge @ 8 cents, then your fire formed brass has a cost of 18 cents + brass.

This leaves you with a valuation of 5-6 cents for the steel case and primer. Charge with 29 gr of h335 as suggested (8.3 cents) and top it with a good projectile in the 30-35 cent range, and you're left with MOA ammo for 43.5 cents - 49.3 cents.

All together you get MOA steel cased ammo, plinking/fireform ammo, and a loadable piece of brass for as low as 61.5 cents (plus the cost of the 7.62x39 brass).

Does my math seem correct?

Comment

• rickt300
            Warrior
            • Jan 2017

Just happened to have a 0-1 inch mike on my bench today so I thought I would check the diameter of the Wolf 100 grain bullet and it comes to .2623 for three. the Hornady 129 grain bullet is .2641. This could be the reason for poor accuracy.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by rickt300 View Post
              Just happened to have a 0-1 inch mike on my bench today so I thought I would check the diameter of the Wolf 100 grain bullet and it comes to .2623 for three. the Hornady 129 grain bullet is .2641. This could be the reason for poor accuracy.
              Yeah, that would explain a lot. Interesting. Are you measuring a pulled bullet at the shank?

All the US-made 6.5mm bullets are pretty much on the .264" money when I've calipered them.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• rickt300
                Warrior
                • Jan 2017

Yep measuring where it would be held by the case.

Comment

• ah1whiskey
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2015

very likely.

i figure a proper charge and a good bullet and it would work wonders.

a poor bullet and a light load 4"--LOL

Comment

• bj139
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2017

Rick,
                    I was trying to see if I could size some hard cast .329 bullets to .309 through a Lee bullet sizing die (.309) so I would not have to buy another bullet mold for a 300 BLK. It was a no go, but after, I tried it in the .329 sizing die and it required some effort to push it through. The bullet had increased in diameter. Maybe your pulled bullets and creative use of a reloading press could turn your .262 bullets into .264 bullets. I think you know enough to be careful. Just an idea.

Comment

Working...
                    X