• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StoneDog
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2016

Load check?

Hi Everyone,

After loading my last batch a bit too hot (don't ask) I'd like to check with the collective wisdom here on the forum.

I'm hoping to start working up a load for Nosler 100gr BT and another for the Speer 120 softpoint.

With the 100 BT I'm going to try 8208 & CCI 400 and work from 28.2 to 29.0 with a COL of 2.24. Cases are twice fired Hornady.

With the Speer 120 SP I'm going to try BLC2 & CCI 400 and work from 28.5 to 29.3 with a COL of 2.24. Cases are also twice fired Hornady.

Any red flags?
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

I'd say orange flag on the CCI400s. Use CCI 450s instead, or one of the other thicker cup Small Rifle Primers out there we have on the list.

8208XBR is actually a great combination with the 100gr NBT. If you look at Hodgdon's data in Volume I and Volume II of the Grendel Reloading Handbooks, they started with 29.0 gr, worked up to 30.8gr Compressed before hitting max working pressure.

With 120gr Speer SP, I would start 29.0gr of BL-C(2) and work up to 31.7gr, no more than that, and you might hit your max before 31.7gr.

Use .3gr increments for both and shoot over a chronograph, Magnetospeed, or LabRadar.

Watch for departures from a tend line from your start load.

The 6.5 Grendel Handbooks would be a great resource for you, and we're happy to answer any of your questions as well on the forum.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• StoneDog
      Unwashed
      • Jul 2016

Much appreciated. These numbers are over what QL suggested but I think some of the variables may be off (which is why I asked!). Good to have confirmation from an expert. I'll be using the Magnetospeed, so that base is covered.

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

30gn 8208 @ 2.24"OAL with either BR4 or CCI450 in Lapua cases is what I've settled on for 100NBT. It's not a hot load but I wouldn't go any higher.

Never shot the Speers.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by StoneDog View Post
          Much appreciated. These numbers are over what QL suggested but I think some of the variables may be off (which is why I asked!). Good to have confirmation from an expert. I'll be using the Magnetospeed, so that base is covered.
          I'm just a student like most of us here, trying to pass on my notes along to fellow mates.

Some of us have spent a lot of time in the library and on the field and don't want to see others make any of the same mistakes.

I came to this forum back in 2009 looking for powders and load advice for this new 6.5mm cartridge I had dipped my toes in the water with, coming from a reloading background more in .308 Winchester, .223 Rem, .270 Winchester, .40 S&W, and .260 Remington. Everyone was really helpful and provided me with what I was looking for without any of the drama.

I saw immediate beneficial results by taking powder recommendations from several of the senior guys who had been hand-loading for Grendel for a few years on top of prior experience with many other cartridges like me. It helps to remember where we came from. I never thought I would spend so many hours over so many years working with this cartridge, to the extent that I would propose that we as a forum contribute to working on a Reloading Handbook for it. It's interesting to watch how things have changed from the days where my grandpa would pull out his calipers and micrometer, some cases from his drawer, and his workshop attached to the garage, to how easy it is for us to exchange information freely like this.

Wish he was still around so I could tell him about the benefits of .264" over his favored .257 Roberts. I can hear him now talking about muzzle velocity and case capacity, as I reach into my pocket and pull out my Star Trek scanner and show him the retained energy and wind drift of each.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kilco
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2016

Well that post hits close to home..

I remember sitting at the bench with Gramp helping him moly coat 150gr FMJs for his M1A....

Or the first time he let me size/deprime my fist cartridge... 22 Remington Jet.. I still have some of the cases..

Comment

• StoneDog
              Unwashed
              • Jul 2016

Just to follow up... I put together some 100 NBT (w/ CCI 450s) loads last night just to see. Burned a vacation day today and hit the range, here are the results:

IMG_0765.JPG

These are the best results I've had with the Grendel to date so I'm rather pleased.

Barrel is a 16" BHW 1:9 264LBC, trigger is an SSA-E, 10x Nikon Prostaff scope and the rifle was resting on Caldwell AR bags.

5 sets of 3 rounds probably isn't statistically relevant but until something changes my mind I'm going to focus load development in the 29.2 to 29.8 range.

Thanks for the assistance!!
              Last edited by StoneDog; 08-09-2017, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X