• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Smitty79
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2017

Optic Selection

I just finished putting together my first Grendel with a 22" fluted upper from GrendelHunter.com. Only thing left is an optic/mount. This will primarily be a range rifle, with occasional coyote hunting in open desert, grassland, and canyons. I'm not sure this upper is capable of it, but I do have the opportunity to shoot 1000 yards. If the upper does prove to be accurate enough, I might even try a few local 200-600 yard rifle matches with it. I am on a budget, so I was thinking of pairing a used Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 with a Warne 20 MOA mount. I can get both for about $430 total. To me, it seems like this scope/mount combo should meet my needs, but I'd like some other opinions. Is there any better combo I can get for about the same amount of money? Or anything wrong with the combo?
    Thanks in advance.
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

I use the exact same scope on my 204 Ruger varmint rifle. Nothing wrong with it at all. For what you are doing, I think it will work perfectly.

In my experience, the glass is surprisingly good in lower light situations, and tracks perfectly.

Comment

• Smitty79
      Unwashed
      • Jul 2017

Glad to hear. Thanks.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

That Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 Mil Dot was the first scope I ordered from their line-up before the PSTs were out. I wanted to get a feel for the company's products with one of their existing scopes, and it was way more scope than I paid for.

Excellent little scope that held up to repeated semi-auto abuse on both Grendel and .260 Remington, then went onto an SPR. Chugged along in 100˚ F heat at high altitude, to high humidity, sub-freezing temps in the Arctic in a pretty heavy shooting schedule.

Your click values are in 1/4 MOA though, with capped knobs, so it isn't the best for target work when you look at transitioning from TGT to TGT at different ranges. If you get a reticle with hold overs and know your drop data, you can deal with it that way much faster. I like the Mil Dot version better than their hunting stadia line reticles.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Smitty79
          Unwashed
          • Jul 2017

Thanks for the info. I was looking at the BDC version just because it is what I have always used. I have two Diamondback HP's with BDC that I've been happy with on a couple 5.56 ARs. I've never used a Mil Dot, but should I look into it if I'm considering longer distance shooting? Even with a Mil/MOA scope and capped turrets, I should still be able to leave the caps off and adjust for elevation and windage at longer distances, just not as quickly right? And I'm guessing that unless using the Mil dot reticle as a quick holdover reference, I would essentially ignore it and use MOA adjustments alone?
          Last edited by Smitty79; 08-09-2017, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• Brandi
            Bloodstained
            • Aug 2014

I'm in the same boat, my current Grendel (which I'm giving to my sister) has a Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x44 Dead Hold BDC which has been a great scope but with my new build I want something with higher magnification (my eyes aren't so great anymore) and possibly go from a second focal plane to a FFP scope. Trying to decide has been brutal and being indecisive is making it worse.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Smitty79 View Post
              Thanks for the info. I was looking at the BDC version just because it is what I have always used. I have two Diamondback HP's with BDC that I've been happy with on a couple 5.56 ARs. I've never used a Mil Dot, but should I look into it if I'm considering longer distance shooting? Even with a Mil/MOA scope and capped turrets, I should still be able to leave the caps off and adjust for elevation and windage at longer distances, just not as quickly right? And I'm guessing that unless using the Mil dot reticle as a quick holdover reference, I would essentially ignore it and use MOA adjustments alone?
              The biggest challenge using the elevation turret to dial with on a capped scope like that is keeping track of where you are with your turret location, since there is no zero stop.

Capped scopes like that are meant to be zero'd and left capped really, so if you go that route, I would get whatever hold over method you want to use and go with that.

Next step would be to just get a 4-16x44 HST VMR MRAD. Basically a Gen I PST with XD glass, no illumination. $569 with free shipping on Amazon right now.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Dinny
                Warrior
                • Jun 2016

Thanks for all the recommendations. I was preparing to post similar questions for optics on my Howa Mini Grendel.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• karaRobert
                  Unwashed
                  • Sep 2017

I'm using 3-9 variable low cost scope on all my 22's, but I'm pleased with golf ball sized groups at 25 yds, haven;t down 60-70 yet, but it should do baseball and softball sized, which is good enough for me.

Comment

Working...
                  X