• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

123 SST gel test

Damn impressive by any standards! Also shot from a 16" barrel!
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Turn to pages 40-50 in Volume II and you'll see that his results are right on with what we saw.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Lone Hunter
      Warrior
      • Jan 2017

Pretty impressive wound channel in the gel. I've got volume 2 and there is a lot of info in there. I'd like to see what an ELD M or X would do.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Here's what the ELD-M does from an 18" barrel on deer:

The 123gr AMAX and 123gr ELD-M have the same AMP jacket and uniform lead core for accuracy, so I didn't expect to see any difference between the two. Expansion threshold on the 123gr AMAX is supposed to be down to 1600fps.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kswhitetails
          Chieftain
          • Oct 2016

I need a "like" button.

240 rounds of this stuff waiting on mr. Larue to get my rifle completed.

1600 fps is what, 475 yds IIRC?
          Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2013

The test fairly well demonstrates what I see with shooting hogs with the SST. Overpenetration is common even on larger hogs. Fragmentation is common and significant. Damage is impressive.
            Kill a hog. Save the planet.
            My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
              Administrator
              • Feb 2011

:: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Kilco
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2016

I'm still hoping to eventually get my hands on a faxon 16" from the group buy I originally wanted, (and you were beyond helpful helping me attempt to aquire one. My son contracted the EV-D68 Virus at that time and was temporarily paralyzed from the waist down... medical bills were overwhelming) and a AA 16" so I can compare all three.

Being a dealer for Odin Works was the primary reason I used them in my hunting build.. the deal on the kit was quite unreal.. only thing about it that gives me pause is the ILGS with a .94 port on a 16" tube.. I've never tried it without an adjustable gas block, so I don't know how this setup would run with a standard gas block... slightly overgassed I would assume... I know the .94 gas ports are typically reserved for the RLGS and 20" tubes... it's the only 16" or 18" I'm aware if that Uses the ILGS.

I like the 1:7.5 twist on the AA better..

I like the specs all the way around and the finish on the Faxon the most as well..

Hopefully in the near future I'll have my wife her own rifle built with another brand and can do some comparisons.

Comment

• Lone Hunter
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2017

Kilco, have you tried a BHW Barrel with the 3 P rifling? I have one in a .264 LBC. and am really impressed with it. The accuracy is what I am really impressed with. The fit and finish is no slouch either. S/S 20" barrel with brake on it. Don't need the brake but had it lying around.
                  Last edited by Lone Hunter; 08-12-2017, 12:36 PM. Reason: Spelling. Lack of

Comment

• Kilco
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2016

From all reports on here the BHW barrels seem to be real nice shooters. I've yet to try a BHW barrel out. All of my notes and data have been for SAAMI spec chambers with a .136 Bolt face, so I've been nervous about using the 264 LBC chamber simply because in would be starting from scratch.. but from all accounts they are damn fine barrels.

Comment

• Lone Hunter
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2017

It really has impressed me with the accuracy. 123 ELD M and 85 gr Sierra HP shoot very good. 123 SST and 120 Sierra PH shoot good but not as good as the ELD M. I have the matching bolt .125 with a 20" BHW Barrel 1-8 twist and besides the wait time cannot say anything bad about it. Getting ready to stretch its legs out soon. Have always been a bolt gun guy but this one has got my attention big time. I really like the .264 LBC/ 6.5 Grendel cartridge. Have always hunted with a bolt gun but this year it's gonna be a Grendel year.

Comment

• Kilco
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Lone Hunter View Post
                        It really has impressed me with the accuracy. 123 ELD M and 85 gr Sierra HP shoot very good. 123 SST and 120 Sierra PH shoot good but not as good as the ELD M. I have the matching bolt .125 with a 20" BHW Barrel 1-8 twist and besides the wait time cannot say anything bad about it. Getting ready to stretch its legs out soon. Have always been a bolt gun guy but this one has got my attention big time. I really like the .264 LBC/ 6.5 Grendel cartridge. Have always hunted with a bolt gun but this year it's gonna be a Grendel year.
                        What's your load data with the 85gr Sierra? I have t tried them yet but I bet they would be explosive!

Comment

• VASCAR2
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

I have water tested the 85 grain Sierra Varmint, 90 grain Speer TNT and 95 V-Max. Penetration and expansion/fragmentation is very similar between all three rounds. I think the V-Max would have a better BC but I'm not sure there is a significant advantage within 300 yards. I have used Accurate 2230 and H-335 with the 85 & 90 grain bullets and the 85 grain Sierra's have primarily been factory seconds. I have been satisfied with the accuracy with all three bullets. I loaded my 95 grain V-Max with TAC.

Comment

• Lone Hunter
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
                            What's your load data with the 85gr Sierra? I have t tried them yet but I bet they would be explosive!
                            Haven't shot anything with them yet. When I do I expect them to really do some damage. I loaded them to a medium range load and am very pleased with the accuracy. The reason I loaded them was their a lot cheaper and a good way to break in the barrel. They shot so good I haven't tried any other powder or load with them. Hornady Brass,didn't want to use my Lapua, CCI 450, 30.6 grs H335, 85 gr Sierra HP Varminter.. 2832 FPS. I've noticed the BHW Barrel is faster than some of the other loads that have been published. Hodgon data said 29.0 start 32.0 max so I loaded in the middle. The 123 ELD M I use 8208 and it shoots very impressive...so good, this is going to be a Grendel year.

Comment

• DJL2
                              Bloodstained
                              • Aug 2017

My Grendel upper is just sitting here waiting on ammo at the moment. The internet ate my original age verification on one of my orders and cost me time...but, hopefully my SST and ELD will show up in the next couple days. Based on how common they are, if they shoot even half decent they're "it" for me unless/until I can load something better.

Comment

Working...
                              X