Tree stand eye relief. Please check before season!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keef
    Warrior
    • Jun 2017

Tree stand eye relief. Please check before season!

I built a Grendel AR and have been shooting it on the ground. I guess I shoot different from a stand, had to move the scope forward about .75inch to get things back right. Glad I didn't work on a perfect zero before testing in tree.

Good news is I did some 350yrd shooting and the whitetails are in trouble when season starts!
  • Drift
    Warrior
    • Nov 2014

You may not be done yet. Depending on how high up you go up in the tree, the size of the tree and the wind speed blowing on that tree, the tree stand may be a moving shooting platform when you see your deer. 350 yards may be unrealistically far to hit on a windy day. Consider going up the tree now and trying to get a steady hold on your target @ your max range.

Comment

• rabiddawg
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2013

Keef, that's why I use an adjustable but stock on the guns I hunt out of a tree with.

Drift, you can't predict what conditions you may face. You just have to be prepared for anything.

I'm not going into my hunting area, set up targets and shoot them.
      Last edited by rabiddawg; 08-13-2017, 02:19 AM.
      Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Keef
        Warrior
        • Jun 2017

Ok. I've been hunting from this same ladder stand for multiple years, so I think I'm used to the height and understand conditions change things. Lol.

Also an adjustable length stock doesn't help if it's maxed out and the scope is still too close.

As for scaring deer..Hunting season doesn't start for a month or so. I've shot deer and by the time I've got the truck to pull them out, I'll find more when I get back. Everybody shoots here, if you're idea was correct there would be no more deer in the county...

Comment

• rabiddawg
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2013

You are just seeing the dumb ones.
          Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Keef, what state do you live in ? I need a new hunt spot

Comment

• Keef
              Warrior
              • Jun 2017

Not worth your time. The dumb deer around aren't worth shooting, but they taste good.

Comment

• IescapedCali
                Warrior
                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Keef View Post
                Not worth your time. The dumb deer around aren't worth shooting, but they taste good.
                All deer are worth shooting, for that very reason!

Comment

• AZBackcountry
                  Bloodstained
                  • Nov 2016

Keef you make a great point. Practice at different angles and positions that you'll be in while hunting. 40+ years ago I was afraid of getting scope cut like my neighbor. I adjusted my 7 Mag scope forward and craned my neck while practicing on flat ground. While hunting I had a shot downhill. I spent so much time trying to get close enough to see through the scope that I ended up with no shot. I was blessed with a uphill harvest that evening. When I got home, I readjusted the scope and started practicing uphill, downhill, laying in-line, laying to the right and left sides, leaning against a tree or rock, sitting with a rest, standing with a rest....etc. I later discovered Harris bi-pods and Trigger Sticks. I practice to 800 yards and still have the 7 Mag upgraded with a skim bedded Bell and Carlson stock and Leopold Mark 4 scope. AZ is not a target rich environment like you have. You are very lucky.
                  Life is fun when your ammo budget is more than your house payment.

Comment

Working...
                  X