• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shorthairedtornado
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2017

First grendel build

Hello guys, this is my first time building an AR, a decided I'd like to build my version of a mk12 or spr. I'd like this to be a high end build and I'm open to suggestions. I'd like to use as much carbon fiber as possible and make it as lite weight as I can. What started this was a hand guard I purchased thinking it was for an ar 10 , turned it it was for a 15. He handguard is a Christensen arms carbon fiber. I'd love to attach pics if someone can explain to me how.
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

It's your money, so I'm getting a Proof Research carbon fiber barrel
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Shorthairedtornado
      Unwashed
      • Aug 2017

That's what I was thinking, anyone have any experience with eisenach arms? They have a nice looking side charge upper for sale

Comment

• js8588
        Warrior
        • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Shorthairedtornado View Post
        That's what I was thinking, anyone have any experience with eisenach arms? They have a nice looking side charge upper for sale
        For the weight (9oz vs 10 on the Lantac and 11 for the Mega), Eisenach would be the way to go. CMT has a 7oz side charging upper but they're out of stock at the moment ($72 cheaper than Eisenach, though if you don't mind waiting).

I'll be buying 2 of Eisenachs nitrided BCGs as soon as I sell some C&R stuff.

Get yourself a nice ambi lower. Rainier Arms makes a very nice one with build in ambi bolt release and mag release. CMT also makes one that is logo/rollmark free but it's half an ounce heavier than Rainier's. Mega makes the lightest ambi lower but it doesn't have the built in ambi mag release. Not a huge deal since you can just pick one up from High Velocity Arms.

High end? Just get yourself a Fostech Echo trigger. The new gen works with any M16 cut BCG (which the Eisenach is). If that's not your thing, Geissele is always a safe bet.

Take a look at the Precision Armament EFAB flashcomp if you don't plan on running a suppressor. If you do, I'd suggest a KAC MAMS.

For a lightweight CF stock, as I recommended in another thread, the Lancer CF. I have one and don't think you can beat it for the price.

I've got 4 builds going right now with 2-3 more in the works. Always glad to help others spend their $.

Comment

• Shorthairedtornado
          Unwashed
          • Aug 2017

Thank you for the reply! I'm new to this, never had or fired a grendel but it seems like the perfect caliber to make my "improved" mk 12. Was thinking a proof research barrel or a Christensen arms( the proof seems to only come in 20 vs a Christensen arms 18) but would the 20 look crazy with my shorter handguard?

Comment

• js8588
            Warrior
            • Jul 2017

Thank you for the reply! I'm new to this, never had or fired a grendel but it seems like the perfect caliber to make my "improved" mk 12. Was thinking a proof research barrel or a Christensen arms( the proof seems to only come in 20 vs a Christensen arms 18) but would the 20 look crazy with my shorter handguard?
            How long is the handguard?

Comment

• StoneHendge
              Chieftain
              • May 2016

I've been doing a lot of research on Proof since it's likely that I'm going to rebarrel my RPR with one of their barrels once I wear my stock barrel out. Search the web - I found a lot of discussions on various boards out there. Accuracy aside (and I haven't seen a complaint about Proof's accuracy), Proof's carbon fiber wrapping is designed to dissipate heat but it doesn't seem as if Christenson has figured that out. That's bad since carbon fiber is actually an insulator. The Christenson's get quite a bit of thermal drift while the Proof's have virtually none. But that's hearsay from me. If your going to drop >$800 on a barrel, I suggest searching on your own
              Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Shorthairedtornado
                Unwashed
                • Aug 2017

The hand guard is either 12.5 or 13. It is one its way so I can't measure it

Comment

• js8588
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2017

The hand guard is either 12.5 or 13. It is one its way so I can't measure it
                  Then you'll be fine with the 20 inch barrel. 12.5-13 either partially (12.5) or fully (13) covers the gas block with a rifle-length system.

Comment

• Shorthairedtornado
                    Unwashed
                    • Aug 2017

How do I post a pic? I have a pic of the hand guard and would love to get some opinions

Comment

• Brosome
                      Unwashed
                      • Apr 2017

I'd pass on the Christensen arms, mine was pretty bad for the price, threads had pretty sloppy machining, and the chamber throat was way short on mine (a few other people over on ar15.com had the same issue with the throat as well). Swapped it for a Proof, a tiny bit heavier but very much worth the upgrade in my opinion. Plus if you want to switch to an adjustable gas block you don't have to deal with their odd-ball gas block journal diameter of .938.

Comment

• Shorthairedtornado
                        Unwashed
                        • Aug 2017

Sounds like proof research as of now, next question is side charge or standard ?

Comment

• js8588
                          Warrior
                          • Jul 2017

Sounds like proof research as of now, next question is side charge or standard ?
                          Side chargers are easier to mount a scope. If you're used to AKs, 10/22s, M1/M1as etc (I am), it's the same manual of arms.

If you're primarily used to AR15s, choose your own adventure (Ascend Armory's matched billet ambi set would be my choice if I were in the market for a standard setup).

I have 2 Lantacs and a Mega side charging upper. I'm waiting for CMT to get theirs back in stock for a lightweight recon build. Eisenach splits the weight difference.

Oh, also I recommend Alexander Arms Hard Use 6.5 bolt. The ionbond coating is superior to anything else out there

Comment

• Shorthairedtornado
                            Unwashed
                            • Aug 2017

I was thinking about a young bolt... but I'll look into this Alexander bolt... also a1 or a2 stock length?

Comment

• js8588
                              Warrior
                              • Jul 2017

I was thinking about a young bolt... but I'll look into this Alexander bolt... also a1 or a2 stock length?
                              I Have a young mfg. bolt as well for a target build. Not a thing wrong with it. Great company. Ionbond just gives a lower coefficient of friction (requires less maintenance/lubrication) than chrome and has a higher Rockwell hardness.

A1 or A2 is about a half inch length of pull difference. Go with either one. I'm betting you'll never notice (I bought the A2 FWIW).

Comment

Working...
                              X