• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Opie76
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2017

New guy on the block.... also central NC

Just wanted to say hello. Just got my first grendel. All oden. 18". Have not had time to zero it in yet but can't wait. Especially after reading so much here.
  • Texas
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum Opie76. Let us know your first impressions after shooting the new Grendel.

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

Welcome friend! I'm a big Odin fan myself. I bet it will be a shooter. I've read lots of good reports on the 18" barrels. It's very heavy and makes for a solid shooter.

Comment

• just_john
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2012

Welcome to the Clan! Be sure to describe what you have when you tell us how well it shoots!

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Opie76!

Comment

• Troutguide
            Warrior
            • Jan 2017

I just got back from the outer banks. Beautiful country. Welcome to the Horde..
            "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• Opie76
              Unwashed
              • Aug 2017

Thanks everyone. I look forward to learning and sharing my experiences with you guys.seems to be a GREAT place to be for grendel info and support!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard. Beautiful out there in Central NC.

Will you primarily be hunting or TGT shooting, maybe both?

Either way, an 18" Grendel covers down on both applications really well.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Opie76
                  Unwashed
                  • Aug 2017

That's a good question 52. I just stumbled across this caliber as a buddy was building one. It will be for target shooting but I am very anxious to learn more about it's patterns and capabilities. Might just put the old 300 win mag in the back of the safe and do a lil hunting. Seems to be so many options with this guy.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                    Chieftain
                    • Oct 2016

This is one of the most reasonable and versatile hunting cartridges out there, which is surprising because it is so relatively new. With an accurate and confident shooter, it's well within its capabilities to snag medium NA game out past 400 yds, with 223 like recoil. And the ballistics! Gosh, you've made me gush about it all over again.

The newer Hornady Black ELD-M stuff (while Hornady states not for hunting - similar to the A-MAX) looks especially promising for deer at respectable ranges.

I'm glad you're here, and look forward to some range reports!
                    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• DJL2
                      Bloodstained
                      • Aug 2017

Whereabouts in central NC? I'm in Moore County and usually head to DeWitt's for shooting. I just acquired a 6.5 Grendel kit and am just waiting on some ammo to arrive to at least give it an initial wring out. I have no idea what became of my bench vise during my last move, so I did the limited assembly at 21st Tactical in Fayette-nam.

If you haven't, take a look at www-dot-ballisticstudies-dot-com. The gent in question has a very specific view on harvesting game and is definitely a velocity junky, but he's done a lot of research that's applicable to the Grendel by virtue of the fact that his long range hunting puts him in the same velocity window as the average Grendel hunter at <400 meters.

KS reminded me of this - Mr. Foster is a big fan of the A-Max for hunting and has dabbled with a variety of different match bullets. He is a big believer in predictable fragmentation for "wide wounding." I'll be curious to see what he thinks of the ELD when he gets around to it.

Comment

• Sputnik
                        Warrior
                        • May 2013

Opie, such a cool name for this area; addresses our Mayberry roots and Andy Griffith heritage. I am in Jacksonville, NC and have a son in West End in Moore county. I shoot in Hubert at Flatwoods, but the max is 200 yds. In Havelock there is a 500 yd range, but is an hour away and I haven't been there yet. Not familiar with DeWitts where DJL2 shoots, but may have to check that one out. There is a lot of info and expertise here so don't be afraid to ask questions. Several very knowledgeable and experienced horde members here willing to help. Search can be your friend; I believe this link works; again, welcome!

Comment

• DJL2
                          Bloodstained
                          • Aug 2017

DeWitt's maxes out at 200 yards as well. They have a sporting clays course as well as a pistol range, all outdoors. Lots of steel on the pistol range - only steel currently on the rifle range are a couple plates at ~180 yards. Naturally, some folks have hit those with things they really ought not have, but they're still serviceable at the moment.

Comment

• waccamawscout
                            Bloodstained
                            • Mar 2016

Cool another nc guy. I stay outside of Wilmington

Comment

• hdrolling
                              Bloodstained
                              • Aug 2017

Another new NC guy here, I still haven't found a place to shoot further than 200 yds either.
                              Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Comment

Working...
                              X