New Guy - Central Carolina is multiplying...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DJL2
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2017

New Guy - Central Carolina is multiplying...

I consider myself a nomad, but I've been in an around central Carolina (Moore County) for most of the last seven years or so. However, perhaps more germane to this forum, I was into 6.5 mm waaaaaaay before it was cool. I came to love the 6.5mm as a teenager back in the 90s. I am analytically inclined and a mechanical engineer by education. I started exploring long range shooting and cartridge efficiency back when sites like Sniper's Hide were just getting off the ground and internet was dial up. I poked around places like Sniper Central as well as others because long range shooting always fascinated me. I remember the introduction of the McMillan M99, the development of the Mach 5, the .408 Chey Tac, a host of Dakota Arms stuff and various other odds and ends in the long range game. However, once upon a time, VLD wasn't quite the buzz word it is now. No one loaded for aerodynamic efficiency...the state of rifle shooting in the late 90s and early 00s, as you may recall, was all about pushing the same old bullets out of bigger cases with more powder. At the time, I was all about the 6.5x55mm Swede...or, at least, it's potential. Folks made a big deal about how "light" the bullets were and missed out on the fact that, at range, they hit harder than .308 or even .30-06 because they retained energy and velocity much, much better with common loads. The 6.5 bore got a jump start on today's hotness with relatively aerodynamic loads in common bullet weights and access to high BC bullets that 6mm, 7mm, and 7.62 really couldn't match. Anyhow, you all already know that, right? So...

If I'm completely honest, I don't own a 6.5 Grendel yet...it's in the mail and the fine folk at UPS say it should be here tomorrow courtesy of the fine folks at LaRue Tactical. Worse still, I bought parts for a 6.8 SPC that, eventually, got assembled by my Dad into a complete rifle. I suppose that makes me something a heretic - I do like throwing 90-95 grain pills at what are, essentially, 5.56 equivalent velocities from 16 inch and shorter tubes (perhaps even better in some cases). With heavier bullets, neither the SPC or Grendel has really blown my skirt up - however, the 6.5 does seem to have an edge in economics and...of course...it IS my favorite bore size from way back. Anyway, I've got a case of cheap ammo on the way while I get sorted out and will be poking around here for information on a cartridge that I've always paid attention to, but have never really been enthusiastic about (gasp!).
  • just_john
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2012

Welcome to the Clan. You have found a really great place to learn about the things 6.5.

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

Welcome, sir!!

My father has been a 6.5 nut from way back.. when I was a teenager, the first centerfire he gave me, and took my first buck with is a Rem 660 Mohawk In 6.5 Rem Mag. He used a 264 Win mag for years, then build a Armalite AR10 in 260 Rem, and in the early 2000s became one of the first Creedmoor nuts I was aware of..

All the things you love about the 6.5 caliber will be apparent in the Grendel. You don't need to push those efficient little bullets thay hard to get stellar ballistics and great terminal performance.

6.8 has it's place, and I hear ya about slinging the light bullets at high velocities. Hell I still plan on building a 6.8 someday... The Grendel took me by storm, allowing me to hunt, and punch steel at long ranges with a light AR15. I recently picked up a great deal on a Remington R-15 chambered in 30 Rem AR, so a 6.8 will complete my little "collection" of AR15 intermediate cartridges.

The Larue stuff is top tier, and we will be lookoing foward to some pictures of your build and a range report!

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum DJL2! Most of the forum members are gun enthusiast first with many different calibers and types of firearms. I was drawn to the 6.5 Grendel cartridge in the AR-15 because it seemed to be the most efficient intermediate cartridge for the AR-15. I'd like to own a 6.5X55 swede Mauser some day, maybe I'll get lucky and find one that scratches the itch.

You'll have a top performing 6.5 Grendel AR-15 with Larue, let us know how your like your Larue!

Comment

• DJL2
          Bloodstained
          • Aug 2017

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
          Welcome, sir!!

My father has been a 6.5 nut from way back.. when I was a teenager, the first centerfire he gave me, and took my first buck with is a Rem 660 Mohawk In 6.5 Rem Mag. He used a 264 Win mag for years, then build a Armalite AR10 in 260 Rem, and in the early 2000s became one of the first Creedmoor nuts I was aware of..

All the things you love about the 6.5 caliber will be apparent in the Grendel. You don't need to push those efficient little bullets thay hard to get stellar ballistics and great terminal performance.

6.8 has it's place, and I hear ya about slinging the light bullets at high velocities. Hell I still plan on building a 6.8 someday... The Grendel took me by storm, allowing me to hunt, and punch steel at long ranges with a light AR15. I recently picked up a great deal on a Remington R-15 chambered in 30 Rem AR, so a 6.8 will complete my little "collection" of AR15 intermediate cartridges.

The Larue stuff is top tier, and we will be lookoing foward to some pictures of your build and a range report!

Remington makes me want to gnash my teeth sometimes....truly. Can there be a worse company for promoting a cartridge and getting it right? In terms of the design, I think a strong argument can be made that 6mm Remington was better than .243 Winchester. The .270 Winchester may be a classic, but I'd argue the .280 Remington is the better cartridge. That "other" cartridge is another, better known, Remington marketing failure of more recent vintage. It's a small miracle that that 7mm Rem Mag is as popular as it is, and the 6.5 is arguably better than the .264 Win Mag...but, the market has sort of settled that out by now, eh? The .260 Remington is what really gets me. I was so excited when Remington announced the .260...and it's not a bad cartridge, per se. However, if Remington had done the job on design and collaboration they should have, people would be shooting .260 instead of 6.5 CM, and 6.5 Lapua - the former doing more or less the same thing and the latter stepping out a bit slower. That's just Remington's schtick...they can and do design good cartridges and then they just die on the vine.

The 6.8 SPC thing was on impulse several years ago. I went in on a group buy for a lower and then, with no plan, just started buying parts to finish the build...and then not finishing it. I didn't want another 5.56, so I went a different direction. I had an entire AR in pieces in my family room (hey, it was in drawers) for like two years...and then gifted it to my Dad because, truthfully, I didn't really want to be in 6.8 SPC after all. However, as a dutiful son, it would appear a Dillon 650 with 6.8 dies is in my future because factory ammo is expensive and my Dad is now retired and enjoys the 6.8. This in spite of the fact that he has also established himself as the guardian (we have an LLC) for my SBR. I guess years ago when I bought the barrel it didn't seem as clear that the 6.5 would enjoy the success it is now - it'll be tough to get my Dad into 6.5, but I can try ;-). UPS says mine will be here in the next four hours or so...not that I am obsessively checking.

I do still own a 6.5x55 CZ550FS...not really enough barrel to get the most out of the cartridge, but still a great rifle. At some point, assuming I can get a grip on the 6.5 Grendel, I will get a 6.5 CM as well.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard. I agree with your assessments of .270 Win vs. 280 Rem, 6.5x55, and I like that 6.5 Rem Mag chambers in a short action compared to the .264 Win Mag in a LA.

Nothing heretical about owning a 6.8 SPC. It would have been really nice as a .257 Remington I think, and DTI makes a nice upper in that conversion with a 30˚ shoulder. Too bad there aren't many good .257" bullets with long boat tails on them though.

Grendel does everything the 6.8 does and more, with a shorter barrel because of BC, at lower working pressure and more efficient case design, with a much wider assortment of projectiles even if you limit it to 85-130gr.

This is one of my old photos of less than half of the 6.5mm bullets. Since then, my bottom row doesn't have anymore room on it and the middle row has filled up too.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
            X