• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joedirt199
    Warrior
    • Jul 2015

Bought an AA builders kit with 16" LW for hunting upper

Searched around for lightweight hunting rig as the only grendel I have now is a 20" BHW, which is on the heavier side. For the money, $300 is pretty good for a barrel, gas block, gas tube, upper reciever, and charging handle. Figure I have most of the other parts in the bin and looking to run a magpul slim handguard for simplicity. Will get some accuracy and chrono reading when it comes in. Will see how the chromoly melanite barrels do over the stainless version. Just noticed I put this in the wrong section if a mod could move it up one please.
    Last edited by joedirt199; 08-15-2017, 02:29 PM.
  • joedirt199
    Warrior
    • Jul 2015

Kit arrived today. Pretty fast for ordering on sunday evening. Barrel looks good, barrel extension to receiver fit could be tighter so I had some green loctite lying around and gave it a liberal dose. Also lapped up the front of the receiver. Lock tight is drying over night. Railed gas block is of the lower than receiver height varity so was going to use a troy low profile gas block. Looked weird with the gas block hanging over the first ring of the barrel so I guess the railed one will have to do. Could have provided a gas tube pin so I had to scrounge the one from the troy.

Waiting on a magpul mid-length slim grey handguard and a precision armament thread adapter so I can put my kaw valley linear muzzle brake on the Alexander Arms threading.

Items weren't really wrapped in the bubble wrap durring shipping so there was some small rubs but no big deal. Have a NiB rguns bcg to go with my faxon bolt I just got in the group buy.
    Last edited by joedirt199; 08-18-2017, 03:28 AM.

Comment

• 1911man
      Warrior
      • May 2015

Sounds like a good build, let us know how she shoots when the day comes.

Comment

• joedirt199
        Warrior
        • Jul 2015

Got it put together.

Alexander Arms upper receiver
        Alexander Arms extreme lightweight 16" melonite barrel
        Alexander Arms railed gasblock and gas tube
        Alexander Arms charging handle
        White Oak 10 moa scope riser
        TPS rings
        Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40 tactical scope
        Magpul slim midlength handguard in grey
        Kaw Valley .308 linear muzzle comp
        Precision Armament thread adapter for the muzzle comp
        Rguns NiB bolt carrier
        Faxon group buy bolt

weight 5.8 lbs on a bathroom scale

now to get some trigger time
        Attached Files
        Last edited by joedirt199; 08-21-2017, 07:28 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Looks good let us know how it shoots!

Comment

• joedirt199
            Warrior
            • Jul 2015

Well got to run about 24 rounds through it. Functions fine with carbine buffer stock and rifle buffer stock. Chamber seems tighter than my BHW chamber as the brass was measuring right where my shoulders are at after sizing for the BHW barrel. Tried fire forming some 7.62 brass and some got jammed where as they functioned fine in the BHW barrel. Accuracy was less than stellar so will have to mess with the rounds again to figure it out. Not a lot of rounds for break in so may just need more rounds down the pipe.

If accuracy continues to struggle may switch out the hanguard for a free float tube.

Comment

• Kilco
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2016

Looks really good! What kind of ammo were you running in it? Those AA barrels usually seem to be shooters.

Comment

• joedirt199
                Warrior
                • Jul 2015

123 amax, hornady brass, with 28 gr xbr reloads. Which works well in my BHW barrel but not so great in this one. Thinking the tight chamber may have been wreeking havoc on my reloads.

Comment

• just_john
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2012

You have too many variables. Start off with some known factory stuff for reference. Then compare handloads to that.

Comment

• joedirt199
                    Warrior
                    • Jul 2015

Ok so an update on this build and accuracy potential. I was getting large groups 2-3" with its current setup, plastic magpul handguard. Saw ALG had basic free float tubes on sale for $50 and decided to switch up to free float the lightweight barrel. Also found a used bcm upper receiver and am familiar with their tighter tollerences for the barrel extension area. The alexander arms receiver was very loose and required a lot of green loctite to tighten things up.

Got the barrel and new free float handguard mounted up. Bore sighted at 50 yards and was surprised no adjustment was needed to zero. Groups went from couple inches to under an inch. Also shot some 90 tnt loads of mine and those were under half inch 3 shot groups. Chamber is definately tighter as I was getting some pressure signs that do not show up in my BHW barrel build.

Lightweight barrels really benefit from being free floated.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by joedirt199 View Post
                      Ok so an update on this build and accuracy potential. I was getting large groups 2-3" with its current setup, plastic magpul handguard. Saw ALG had basic free float tubes on sale for $50 and decided to switch up to free float the lightweight barrel. Also found a used bcm upper receiver and am familiar with their tighter tollerences for the barrel extension area. The alexander arms receiver was very loose and required a lot of green loctite to tighten things up.

Got the barrel and new free float handguard mounted up. Bore sighted at 50 yards and was surprised no adjustment was needed to zero. Groups went from couple inches to under an inch. Also shot some 90 tnt loads of mine and those were under half inch 3 shot groups. Chamber is definately tighter as I was getting some pressure signs that do not show up in my BHW barrel build.

Lightweight barrels really benefit from being free floated.
                      All barrels benefit from free floating handguards.

Good job on the groups sir.

Comment

• 1075 tech
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2015

Nice job. I always free float the barrel. As mentioned, start with factory loads. Once you know it will shoot well, then develop your load.

I have one of their 16" LW barrels from about 4 years ago. SS, fluted, duracoat. It is a straight shooter. I have managed several 5 shot groups under .75" with factory SST's. It also does well with Federal Fusions.
                        Last edited by 1075 tech; 09-05-2018, 09:47 AM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2015

16 inch AA lite barrel today.

Red dot 50 yards PF loaded 100 grain NBT ammo.

3 rounds to find bull and then 15 round rapid fired group.

Good enough for me
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X