X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drift
    Warrior
    • Nov 2014

True. The micro actions are ideally nitched as a short, light, cheap but accurate rifle. I think of them as modern day 30 30 that can reach out 500 yards.

Comment

• Troutguide
      Warrior
      • Jan 2017

No they are not a modern 30 30 They are a great alternative to everything overpowered and over priced out there. Why would a whitetail or hog hunter need anything else than a sub moa 6.5 Grendel capable gun? A .30/30 is a mediocre, cheap(typically) hunting rifle. So I agree plastic is not cool but it aint broke yet. I do want cheaper mags!!
      "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

A .30-30 doesn't compare well even with an 11.5" 6.5 Grendel AR15 pistol, which has more retained energy at 400yds than the 20" .30-30 does at 200yds.

I personally don't have any issue with the polymer bottom piece other than the mag release, which is too long, so I simply used my advanced DegReE of ManagEment in handheLd rotary tool operations to size it down a bit so that it was still functional, but not easily activated.

Making the bottom piece out of polymer allows faster time to market, so that puts a rifle in the customer's hands quickly.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

A 30-30 has a lot more kick, imo. Plus problems with having a good scope mount (for those older eyes which don't work with iron anymore). And barrel is banded, not free floated. short range and still about $500 for the one you really want. If I were shooting back in the 1890's or 1930's it was a great rifle! but now, there are better. Just like the Model T was great in its day but give me my 2010 truck for today! To each his own.
          I would chime in on the mag improvements but I guess I can wait (a little while)!!
          O, one more thought by the way... The 30-30 was the "assault rifle" of its day, with its magazine and rapid-cycling lever action. Just sayin... Relatively lots of lead goin down range compared to a trap-block or single shot.
          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Waynejessie
            Bloodstained
            • Aug 2017

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
            A 30-30 has a lot more kick, imo. Plus problems with having a good scope mount (for those older eyes which don't work with iron anymore). And barrel is banded, not free floated. short range and still about $500 for the one you really want. If I were shooting back in the 1890's or 1930's it was a great rifle! but now, there are better. Just like the Model T was great in its day but give me my 2010 truck for today! To each his own.
            I would chime in on the mag improvements but I guess I can wait (a little while)!!
            O, one more thought by the way... The 30-30 was the "assault rifle" of its day, with its magazine and rapid-cycling lever action. Just sayin... Relatively lots of lead goin down range compared to a trap-block or single shot.
            The 30/30 is just as deadly on white tails @ 100yds or less than a 338 . I still shoot one occasionally with one of my dads old Marlin 336 guns. Dad, who was an expert marksman from WWII actually dropped a whitetail with it @ 325 yds. Way too far for most hunters to try but not for him back in the day. I miss him.

Comment

• BD264
              Bloodstained
              • Jun 2017

My bottom plastic is starting to crack behind the rear guard screw. Can't wait for a metal replacement.

Comment

• Waynejessie
                Bloodstained
                • Aug 2017

Originally posted by BD264 View Post
                My bottom plastic is starting to crack behind the rear guard screw. Can't wait for a metal replacement.
                theres no way to maintain consistent torque on your action screws when they are tightened down against plastic. I don't mind the plastic mags but the trigger guard should be metal if for no other reason to be able to maintain accurate and even torque on your action screws which certainly affects repeatable accuracy.

Comment

• ripcord
                  Bloodstained
                  • May 2016

AMEN! Mine tends to wander a bit...torqued to 35 inch-pounds...doesn't stay there.

Comment

• Waynejessie
                    Bloodstained
                    • Aug 2017

Originally posted by ripcord View Post
                    AMEN! Mine tends to wander a bit...torqued to 35 inch-pounds...doesn't stay there.
                    Howa has definitely degraded since my last purchase several years ago. No excuse for a $700 gun to come with a cheesy plastic trigger guard bottom piece. I'm not against polymers. They have their place. Most of my defensive hanguns are polymer BUT long range repeatable accuracy is a whole different animal. You cannot expect top accuracy in a rifle when your action screws are torqued against plastic. C'mon Howa, you can and have done better than this.

Comment

• Matt @ LSI
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Waynejessie View Post
                      Howa has definitely degraded since my last purchase several years ago. No excuse for a $700 gun to come with a cheesy plastic trigger guard bottom piece. I'm not against polymers. They have their place. Most of my defensive hanguns are polymer BUT long range repeatable accuracy is a whole different animal. You cannot expect top accuracy in a rifle when your action screws are torqued against plastic. C'mon Howa, you can and have done better than this.
                      Howa is working on this, like i have stated before. The initial decision was made to include the detachable box magazine "kit" as a way to increase value in this little package. we have also had no issues with retaining sub moa accuracy across all calibers of the mini with this setup. yes, they will crack if over-torqued. but as a few members of this board know, i have worked with them when they have done so and gotten their guns back up and running ASAP. BELIEVE ME when i say that the feedback that has been coming from this board has been helping refine this awesome little rifle, unfortunately these things take time. Bear with us. thanks!

Comment

• Waynejessie
                        Bloodstained
                        • Aug 2017

If it came with a metal bottom it wouldn't take time. If it came with bottom metal nobody would crack one and waste Howa's time trying to get it corrected. I'm not a Howa hater. This ain't my first Howa but for a $700 gun this sucks. I don't care who makes the gun. Sub moa accuracy has been an issue with guys who have handloaded and shot for years.

Comment

• Waynejessie
                          Bloodstained
                          • Aug 2017

Originally posted by BD264 View Post
                          Apparently it's your fault for over-torquing it...

Comment

• Dinny
                            Warrior
                            • Jun 2016

Curious minds want to know, if Howa decides to make steel bottom metal and mine breaks, will it be replaced with metal bottom metal under factory warranty?

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• Waynejessie
                              Bloodstained
                              • Aug 2017

Originally posted by Dinny View Post
                              Curious minds want to know, if Howa decides to make steel bottom metal and mine breaks, will it be replaced with metal bottom metal under factory warranty?

Thanks, Dinny
                              I'm in my mini for almost $700 not counting accessories. I'm not looking for a thing for free. I'll buy the piece if it ever becomes available from Howa or the aftermarket but I won't buy another new Howa for what I paid until/unless they go back to their roots and offer a great value for the money.

Comment

• grayfox
                                Chieftain
                                • Jan 2017

Guys,
                                I think you've made your point. I'm into several $$$ for my howa mini too and yeah I wish it had a metal bottom and mag... I have a 20" HB in a boyd's stock b/c the action was all that's available when I bought it... all of which is fine. I had to take it to my GS for some inletting relief so I've got like I said some $$$ in it; but with all of that remember that Matt is a standup guy as are the rest of us horde-sters on here. They made their marketing decisions - come to think of it I've had several first-run guns that had worse problems with them that the mfr had to even recall and fix.

I say give Howa and the market a chance to work on these things... meanwhile I'm shooting my howa AND my AR, getting ready for this fall. And if a rifle has a problem whatever the source, I've got hunts to prepare for so there's always a plan B. Always.
                                Thanks,
                                "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X