• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BD264
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Waynejessie View Post
    Apparently it's your fault for over-torquing it...
    I guess my 36 inch pound setting on my screw driver is too much.

Comment

• kmon
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2015

Don't forget Howa did us and the Grendel all a favor by bringing this little gun out in the Grendel. For a while they were just trying to keep up and might still be for all I know. I really doubt CZ would have ever brought out a Grendel if Howa had not decided to do so. I already have a semi custom or I would have already bought he Howa barreled action and dropped it in an LSS Chassis which is the way I would currently go if I were to purchase one. I still think the Howa with a youth stock, and I agree bottom metal would be a hot ticket item

Comment

• Troutguide
        Warrior
        • Jan 2017

I love my mini, sure there are things I see that could be improved, but for the price it is great. I get sub moa with factory ammo. I would have never got a 6.5 grendel if howa hadn't released the mini when it did. I am just now getting into the ar platform for hogs, but I will hunt white-tail with my mini as I intended when I was looking for a replacement for the old .30-06 that caused me to flinch terribly. The mini was a breath of fresh air and now I am confident I will not miss a deer this season with it and its plastic parts. I want cheaper mags and bottom metal would be nice but its still a great gun and Matt has been good about checking in here and I think listening to us. Remember Legacy does not make the guns they are the US distributer so I am sure "things take time".
        "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by kmon View Post
          Don't forget Howa did us and the Grendel all a favor by bringing this little gun out in the Grendel. For a while they were just trying to keep up and might still be for all I know. I really doubt CZ would have ever brought out a Grendel if Howa had not decided to do so. I already have a semi custom or I would have already bought he Howa barreled action and dropped it in an LSS Chassis which is the way I would currently go if I were to purchase one. I still think the Howa with a youth stock, and I agree bottom metal would be a hot ticket item
          We were trying to get CZ to do Grendel for years. There are a lot of 7.62x39 brand new CZ barrels out there that were pulled and replaced with 6.5 Grendel pipes.

I sent emails and stopped by their booth at SHOT for many years talking about this, and was scoffed at. They actually told me they would do 6.8 before they ever did a Grendel, which is a head-scratcher if I ever saw one from a European company with a rifle that already has the appropriate bolt face and magazine for a cartridge that will bite the heels of a 6.5x55 Mauser from a micro action. I'm a big fan of CZ's products and craftsmanship too. Looks like demand finally spoke though.

We also were trying to get Mossberg to do it. Howa saw an opportunity and stepped up to the plate, which is commendable. It will be my kids' first center-fire rifle for training on with loads we make ourselves, probably will start out with a light bullet in the 85-95gr region with a mild load (somewhere higher than a starting load) to let them work up.

Has anyone threaded a spotter barrel yet?
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LWP
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2017

Is that a https://www.tacticalworks.com/LSS-Ho...MDT-HMLSS.html or something that Howa now makes?
            Last edited by LWP; 08-25-2017, 10:47 PM.

Comment

• Dinny
              Warrior
              • Jun 2016

The sporter barrel would need to be shortened real close to 16" to have enough diameter to thread.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• stangfan94
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2015

Since we are talking about possible new models/changes, are any other barrel lengths being considered? I'd like to see a 16" LW barrel for hunting or a 24" heavy barrel for target shooting. I know I can chop down a 20" LW but prefer something from the factory.

Thanks!

Comment

• Swinestalker
                  Unwashed
                  • Feb 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  We were trying to get CZ to do Grendel for years. There are a lot of 7.62x39 brand new CZ barrels out there that were pulled and replaced with 6.5 Grendel pipes.

I sent emails and stopped by their booth at SHOT for many years talking about this, and was scoffed at. They actually told me they would do 6.8 before they ever did a Grendel, which is a head-scratcher if I ever saw one from a European company with a rifle that already has the appropriate bolt face and magazine for a cartridge that will bite the heels of a 6.5x55 Mauser from a micro action. I'm a big fan of CZ's products and craftsmanship too. Looks like demand finally spoke though.

We also were trying to get Mossberg to do it. Howa saw an opportunity and stepped up to the plate, which is commendable. It will be my kids' first center-fire rifle for training on with loads we make ourselves, probably will start out with a light bullet in the 85-95gr region with a mild load (somewhere higher than a starting load) to let them work up.

Has anyone threaded a spotter barrel yet?
                  Yes, I have had a sporter cut to 16 and threaded. Gunsmith did flare barrel at threads for the 5/8x24 threads. It's a wonderfully accurate little rifle that is still handy with a suppressor.

Comment

• Waynejessie
                    Bloodstained
                    • Aug 2017

Originally posted by kmon View Post
                    If it's worth doing; it's worth doing right.Again, I am a repeat Howa customer. My older Howa's with bottom metal is what convinced me to buy the mini-action sight unseen. I am not sure I agree with your statement about about Howa doing us a favor. I paid just under $700 for the favor. These are not $300 budget rifles from Marlin or Savage. I could expect plastic on them but not on a $700 rifle.

Comment

• kmon
                      Chieftain
                      • Feb 2015

I get what you are saying on doing us a favor or not . The way I see it is with the popularity of the Howa I expect to see others start chambering the Grendel. By stepping up to the plate with a Grendel Howa showed the other manufactures it is a marktable option to add to their own offerings. Would really like to see Ruger bring out the American in the Grendel. As people see a need there will be other options offered for making the Howa what you want it to be, but will cost extra $.

But I will just keep the CZ with a Grendel tube that was put together before we had any boltie factory options.

Comment

• kmon
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2015

LRR I have on of those CZ 7.62X39 barrels that I am not sure what to do with, not much of a market for them. Too short for a tomato stake but guess it could be a heavy but rifled spitball shooter

Comment

• ricsmall
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2014

I think it was pretty clear that howa was putting plastic bottom metal on these guns. Mine is still holding at 35 lb/ft. Remington did this years ago with the Mohawk before the advancements we have in polymer today. There will be bottom metal soon enough. Great little rifle. They did do us a favor by bringing these to market so quickly. We pushed and they produced.

Richard
                          Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• RockWarrior
                            Bloodstained
                            • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Waynejessie View Post
                            If it's worth doing; it's worth doing right.Again, I am a repeat Howa customer. My older Howa's with bottom metal is what convinced me to buy the mini-action sight unseen. I am not sure I agree with your statement about about Howa doing us a favor. I paid just under $700 for the favor. These are not $300 budget rifles from Marlin or Savage. I could expect plastic on them but not on a $700 rifle.
                            So you paid 700 dollars for something that you didn't bother looking at any pictures online or reading any reviews and now you are mad at Howa because of this? Did Howa advertise a bottom metal and then pulled a bait and switch on you? When I bought my rifle, I ordered online and knew what I was getting for the price I paid. I'm happy with my purchase and am thankful that Howa produced the rifle so I didn't have to go custom. I'm not sure what your gripe is with Howa, but it seems to me that you made the decision to pay for a product that you didn't do any research on.

Comment

• Rebels010
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2016

I paid $400 for a HB action from Brownells. Rifle shoots extremely well and I'm very pleased with it, plastic parts and all.

Comment

• ripcord
                                Bloodstained
                                • May 2016

Originally posted by Rebels010 View Post
                                I paid $400 for a HB action from Brownells. Rifle shoots extremely well and I'm very pleased with it, plastic parts and all.
                                Same here. I followed Howa's break-in procedure to the letter and the thing shoots quite well. Haven't had a chance to put any reloads through it but it does like the factory fodder.

Comment

Working...
                                X