• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpistolero02
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2017

New Member from Austin, TX

I just wanted to say hello and thank you guys for what I have learned so far. I have a new LaRue that should be arriving today or tomorrow. I am pumped to get out and shoot and see what this thing will do. I will be loading for it, so I will keep you guys posted with my results.
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

Really looking forward to your range results and some pictures! What optic and loads do you have planned for your Larue?

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard. That LaRue deal is smokin' hot.

It's a very smooth-running rifle with the 18" even with MLGS. The gas block and gas tube ferrule really seal up the gas system nicely, so that I didn't see any gas leakage from that area. Cycling was surprisingly smooth, like well-oiled clockwork. I typically expect an 18" MLGS rifle to cycle fast and hard with a little bit of excessive cyclic rate, but not so on the Stealth 2.0 18" Grendel. It is really a joy to shoot for me.

We worked together as a forum many years ago and several board members put together 2 Reloading Handbooks specifically for the AR15/6.5 Grendel. There are hundreds of loads in there from both the industry sources like AA, Hodgdon's, Vihtavuori, Western Powders, as well as forum member data that we put through a test protocol to keep published loads within SAAMI MAP. There is terminal ballistics data in Volume II in a chapter dedicated to that, showing several different hunting bullets fired into calibrated Gel across the velocity spectrum, to determine how they perform with regard to expansion, penetration, and weight retention. It took many years of hard work, but has provided a very useful resource for owners and hand-loaders alike.

Even those who don't reload have many chapters relevant to their questions, and things they may not have considered as to AR15 set-up, barrel length and maximum hunting engagement distances, muzzle devices, optics, barrel profiles, component selection for rifle builds and intended uses, as well as bullet/ammunition selection for different game.

Feel free to ask any questions and have them answered by highly-experienced forum members who have spent a lot of time working with this cartridge and the AR15.

Right off the bat, I do recommend getting a Hornady headspace comparator kit for finding where your headspace measurement is so you can figure out shoulder set back when setting up your sizing die (if you don't have one already). I don't start out using that tool, but have found it very useful since I got it.
      Last edited by LRRPF52; 09-04-2017, 01:53 AM. Reason: typo
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• 1911man
        Warrior
        • May 2015

Originally posted by jpistolero02 View Post
        I just wanted to say hello and thank you guys for what I have learned so far. I have a new LaRue that should be arriving today or tomorrow. I am pumped to get out and shoot and see what this thing will do. I will be loading for it, so I will keep you guys posted with my results.
        Love it every time another Texan joins the board. I cant wait to see your results with that rifle. I have the upper kit from them and will be hitting the range this week for some testing myself.

Comment

• Texas
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum jpistelero02 from North Texas.

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Welcome to the horde jpistolero02!

Comment

• jpistolero02
              Unwashed
              • Aug 2017

Thanks guys! Yes, I do have one of those comparator tools. I have been reloading for a number of years, just not this caliber before.

I bought some CFE 223 and 8208 XBR to try. I have some Hornady 123 ELD's and some 123 Scenar's to try as I had them already for my 6.5x47. I am hoping to find a combo that works with one of them. I will definitely keep you guys posted.

Comment

• Wildcat
                Unwashed
                • Aug 2017

howdy from houston, texas

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                  Chieftain
                  • Oct 2016

Welcome to the board! +1 for the books LRRP mention. Good resource for the development, limitations, and strategies for loading supreme Grendel.

All you south Texas guys need to be careful these next few days, I'm prayin it winds up being good rain with a little light wind to save damaged shooting ranges!

Really, though, be safe.
                  Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• just_john
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2012

Welcome to the Clan from just N of Dallas. Stay dry, my friend!

Comment

Working...
                    X