• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DJL2
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2017

Factory Ammo? (My Search-Fu is weak)

I hit up my usual websites and the results for 6.5 Grendel have been disappointing. I have found the following with regularity:
    Wolf WPA/MPT
    Hornady 123 ELD/SST
    Federal 120 MSR/130 Berger

Beyond that, it's a crap shoot - I sometimes see AA stuff pop up, and maybe some odds and ends from specialty shops with a wider bullet selection (Precision Firearms comes to mind). I don't seem to encounter any factory loaded SMK, TMK, A-Max (if that's even still a thing with ELD out now). I know there's a ton of bullets, but short of ordering from a specialty shop or loading them yourself...

Now, of the readily available stuff, I suppose I'd just shoot the Hornady and be happy...shopping around, the price difference between the 123 ELD-M and the Wolf/PPU Gold is negligible, so it's not like buying it for the brass would make sense (unless it was better brass, of course). I somehow doubt I'm gonna find a lot on the shelves of my LGS.
  • hikfromstik
    Warrior
    • Oct 2016

Try ammo seek . If money is no option try precision firearms or Alexander arms . Buds gun shop has some federal Berger the last I checked . Midway has the "alert me " option to email you when the fusion and federal Berger arrive , but you better jump quick because by the end if the day they will be gone probably.

Comment

• 1075 tech
      Warrior
      • Apr 2015

TargetSportsUSA.com. Just ordered 2 boxes of the Federal Fusion from them. Outdoorlimited.com has the wolf steel at $0.23/rd plus shipping. Both have decent prices on SST.

I predominately use these two because they will still ship behind enemy lines here in New Yorkistan.

Comment

• DJL2
        Bloodstained
        • Aug 2017

Ammoseek is my go to, usually. That's when I realized I had a problem! I also used just plain old google and some information from the forums here to help inform my search. While it would be interesting to see a shoot off between the SST and the Fusion (MSR boxed), my inclination is for the SST - I just have a very favorable impression of the bullet and the work Hornady seems to be putting in for intermediate "MSR" cartridges. That said, I have seen Fusions/Gold Dots turn in some very good groups in 6.8 SPC.

At the moment, the ELD-M isn't a bad deal for match ammo - around $.75-80/rd and Ammoseek will find it everywhere for you, along with the SST, Fusion, Berger loads. I'm curious to try the Berger as well...however, is 130 grains not a bit heavy for the Grendel?

If I knew with some certainty what would shoot, I might go the cost is no object route and order from Precision Firearms just to have great ammo to turn into great brass to turn into great reloads. I did buy the Wolf WPA stuff...being able to shoot Grendel for less than 5.56 is insane and I couldn't pass it up. In fact, I see an accuracy test/shoot off coming between 55/62 grain 5.56 and 100 grain Grendel - battle of bargains!

Comment

• joedirt199
          Warrior
          • Jul 2015

Sgammo.com is good for ammo prices. Their selection dries up quick but refills pretty fast.

Comment

• Rob57
            Unwashed
            • Jul 2016

I use ammossek and usually end up buying from Target Sport - when you factor in the free shipping their prices are the lowest. I've been shooting Hornady - AMAX and SST and just ordered some ELD Black. If I'm on top of things I can get .6 or .7 sometimes less but I always seem to throw a flyer out of 5 shot group which brings the number up. I'm shooting a JP SCR 11 with an 18" medium contour.

Comment

Working...
            X