• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpistolero02
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2017

LaRue Barrel Swap

I just purchased a complete 6.5 Grendel from LaRue. I went ahead and ordered the 5.56 barrel and bolt to go with it. What's the difficulty of actually swapping the barrels on the rifle? I assume it's not something you just do all the time. My experience level with AR's is fairly low. I have owned one for years, but never built one from the ground up. Thanks in advance for the help.
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

Typically from 6.5 to 5.56 and vice versa it's just barrel, bolt, and magazine.

You will probably want a separate gas block and tube to add to the simplicity of the swap, but at that point is where most people just buy another upper receiver, complete 5.56 BCG that comes with a 5.56 Bolt and charging handle and just swap uppers.

Someone with a Larue upper will probably chime in with the specifics. Typically you don't see many people swapping barrels frequently on an upper and bolts back and forth on a bcg... I mean you can, but most just dont.

Comment

• bfk4lyfe
      Bloodstained
      • Jul 2017

There are four little bolts on the hand guard, take those off, hand guard slides off, exposes the barrel nut which comes off with the included wrench. Pull barrel, reverse procedure. Can be done in a few minutes. Go look at those youtube videos on putting together the upper receiver kits he's selling now.

Comment

• 1911man
        Warrior
        • May 2015

Originally posted by jpistolero02 View Post
        I just purchased a complete 6.5 Grendel from LaRue. I went ahead and ordered the 5.56 barrel and bolt to go with it. What's the difficulty of actually swapping the barrels on the rifle? I assume it's not something you just do all the time. My experience level with AR's is fairly low. I have owned one for years, but never built one from the ground up. Thanks in advance for the help.
        The LaRue Rifle should come with the special tool to take off the barrel nut so you will need that tool along with a drive socket to attach to it. You will also need a vice and the tool that holds your upper receiver in the vice. Its a polymer block that holds the reciever in place in the vice and can be found on any gun parts web sit like Brownells, midway, or even ebay. The one I have is made by No-Mar. Its super simple to do.

Comment

• Lastrites
          Warrior
          • Apr 2017

Aim Surplus was selling Pro-Fab uppers with dust cover and forward assist for $40, while swapping can be done why bother with it brother when the few extra parts are pretty cheap.

Comment

Working...
          X