• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kswhitetails
    Chieftain
    • Oct 2016

Magpul Art of the Precision Rifle Series

A friend recently recommended I find a set and watch to get more familiar with the techniques and strategies for LRS. I did not know they have been discontinued. So, long story short, is there someone who may have a set that they would let me borrow long enough to get a couple good watches with? I will pay the freight. If I had the extra scratch, I would not hesitate to just buy the $190 set from Amazon, but I thought I'd try my luck here first. Thanks.
    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.
  • Bowhntr6pt
    Warrior
    • Feb 2017

Start here... there are many more in the series, gets as technical as you want.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
      Chieftain
      • Oct 2016

Sheesh. I think this guy likes hearing himself talk. Dunno though, apparently hes got the time, and the funds, to make an apparent hobby into a career on youtube. Lots of good info, if you can sweep aside the redundancy. So far, not so impressed.
      Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
        Warrior
        • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
        Sheesh. I think this guy likes hearing himself talk. Dunno though, apparently hes got the time, and the funds, to make an apparent hobby into a career on youtube. Lots of good info, if you can sweep aside the redundancy. So far, not so impressed.
        I have the MagPul PR materials so I can compare the "technical aspects" and merits of one source to the other. While the first few videos Rex does might be "redundant", the more technical ones, later in the series, concerning external ballistics and why bullets do what they do, is quite informative.

Sorry you're not "impressed".

Comment

• Kilco
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2016

I love the rex reviews 101 series!! Some very very in depth material covering all form of ballistics.

Really amazing a guy put out information that detailed for free on YouTube... the amount of detail and breakdown reminds me of a master's class in college lol.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
            Chieftain
            • Oct 2016

Technical information for someone new to the sport is fine, but too can be too much. And honestly, the first five episodes are boring. Sorry if I offended you, this is only my impression. Good info, I am sure, but I have my cartridge picked, I have my bullets picked, and just need the right info to get started. I will FF a little, I see this getting more into actual application soon.

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
              Warrior
              • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
              Technical information for someone new to the sport is fine, but too can be too much. And honestly, the first five episodes are boring. Sorry if I offended you, this is only my impression. Good info, I am sure, but I have my cartridge picked, I have my bullets picked, and just need the right info to get started. I will FF a little, I see this getting more into actual application soon.
              Not offended...lol. I just take the discipline of LR shooting more serious than some folks.

The video series is extremely well done and follows a pretty good course from A-Z for someone getting started. The series in INFORMATIVE... it's not intended to be impressive or entertaining. You can't successfully get into "Practical Application" IMO unless you understand the science behind LR shooting because w/o a good mechanical/technical knowledge base, you won't know what is causing possible performance issues... you will be clueless in helping other shooters as well. Knowing why something is or is not happening is extremely important in self-instruction, practice, and training.

My PR rifle classes ALWAYS start in the classroom with "boring" information concerning internal, external, and terminal ballistics... BUT it's a must have because when you get out in the field and encounter a problem, issue, or someone has a question, that's not the time for technical teaching and learning per se as it slows down the class training tempo.

The video series, even the beginning, albeit boring and slow, provides a solid base from which to build upon. If you want to get into PR shooting the right way from the start, slow down... don't be in a hurry to "get started". Become a student of the Long Rifle and thoroughly grasp what it takes to get first round hits on steel at 700-1000 yards.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
              X