• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kiloechoxray
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2017

Hornady Black 123 grn.

Anyone used this yet?

They are touting it to be an improvement over the AMAX.

The tiny amount of anecdotal discussion I've heard from others is positive.
  • rockslut
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2016

So I had my Grendel out to the range today for the second time first trip was to break in the barrel nice and slow I was not really worried about accuracy. 20 inch X caliber barrel. Brand new build. First ar build. I took two boxes of ammo one was Hornaday SST the other was hornady black. as you can see the Hornaday black shot way better than the SST the lower right target was a 3 inch group and a 4 inch group the only difference was how I was holding the rifle.

Last edited by rockslut; 08-17-2017, 05:50 AM.

Comment

• Sticks
      Chieftain
      • Dec 2016

PF Neptune VIII upper with 18" Barlitien barrel. 100 yards, 5-10 MPH wind at 1:30

5 shots here. Wish I knew what I did, as the rest of my groups were around .9 MOA. This one if you count the "flyer" or second shot, came in at just over .75moa.

I first thought I shanked three shots off paper, and spent 5 minutes looking over the rifle making sure nothing was loose, loaded up another 10 rounds and shot 2 more groups.

Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Kilco
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2016

Absolutely phenomenal ammo in every regard.

Price is awesome, accuracy has 1/2 min potential, terminal ballistics is capable of taking whitetail deer, standard deviation is better than most factory ammo, brass is great quality for reloading. No complaints here.

Comment

• rockslut
          Unwashed
          • Dec 2016

Any chance some one has a starting point on a load that closely duplicates these hornady blacks ? Ill prob shoot 5-6 boxes then start load development with the one shot brass

Comment

• kiloechoxray
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2017

Good info. I just got 120rnds from Sportsman Guide with my discount. Looking forward to testing this out.

Comment

• Lone Hunter
              Warrior
              • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
              Absolutely phenomenal ammo in every regard.

Price is awesome, accuracy has 1/2 min potential, terminal ballistics is capable of taking whitetail deer, standard deviation is better than most factory ammo, brass is great quality for reloading. No complaints here.
              I totally agree with Kilco. If I didn't reload I would shoot and hunt with this out of my rifle. Extremely accurate and the brass is a lot better than I thought.

Comment

• Ammon
                Unwashed
                • Jun 2017

My experience is not very scientific, so take it for what it's worth.

Last weekend was the first time taking my first grendel out. I shot wolf 100gr, Hornady SST, and Hornady Black.

The barrel at this point has maybe 50 rounds through it, so it might not be broken in yet.

The Hornady SST gave me 1" groups @50 yards, while the black gave me 1.15 inch groups.

I'll be shooting it this afternoon and will take pictures.

Comment

• Sticks
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2016

I'm coming up on 750 rounds down range, and still can not get SST to group.

On my way to a .5 inch 5 shot group with ELD yesterday at 200 yards then pushed one out 2 inches. 4 holes touching then twitch.

I want to start loading my own, but damn that ELD is accurate.
                  Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Lone Hunter
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2017

I could get the SST's to group but when you can get 5 to touch at 100 (ELD M)I know which one I'm going to shoot. Agree 100% that the ELD M is scary accurate. Getting ready to go to 200 and 300 soon as I have time. I've got to get some of the ELD X to try also.

Comment

• rockslut
                      Unwashed
                      • Dec 2016

Hornady black is in stock at Cabelas. Just bought 4 boxes

Comment

• Herodrh
                        Unwashed
                        • Jan 2016

I just recently had my JP grendel out to the range with my 1st ever batch of the new Hornady Black 123 grain ELD-M loading and I am quite tickled by the results. Took a minute to get things settled down, and did a little tweaking to resolve a reticle canting issue but man! Previously shooting mainly the Hornady 123 grain SST loading which shot really nice. The Black load shot to a similar POA and something like a quarter inch when I got my concentration and vision dialed in a bit! All this from Hornady marketing this loading even more economical to shoot than AMAX and SST loadings. I get a 200 round case of the Black loading home on my doorstep for about 186.00 bucks and that is cheaper than Alexander Arms is selling the Wolf Gold 120 grain MPT. I hope to get into reloading in the near future but until I do I will have a big smile on my face.

Comment

• Unclered
                          Bloodstained
                          • Sep 2016

what is the diff between X & m ?
                          "It's a long shot with a limb in the way but it beats suckin' pond water"- Jed Clampit 1964

Comment

• Sticks
                            Chieftain
                            • Dec 2016

ELD-X is hunting, ELD-M is Match/Target.
                            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                              Chieftain
                              • Oct 2016

Is there really much difference? From what I'm reading the ELD-M is the exact same construction as the AMAX bullet with a slightly different ogive and a new tip. If that's the case, I wonder what exactly the new ELD-X line is for considering the SST is still being made? Perhaps the SST is being phased away?
                              Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

Working...
                              X