X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Randy99CL
    Warrior
    • Oct 2017

Actually I want two scopes, one for hog hunting and another for longer range targets. The hog scope is pretty easy, as I wrote earlier I have an old Redfield 1.75-5x that will be good but I'm afraid the recoil of the AR may destroy it. And I'd like a lighted reticle.
    There are lots of good 1-4 and 1-6 AR-type scopes out there for not too much money.

But I have seen that good 4-16x (and up) do cost more than a few hundred $$$. I watched some "6.5 guys" videos last night and one showed that they own multiple $2K-$4K scopes, wow. My car isn't worth $4K.
    I have a Mueller 8.5-25x Tactical that I bought for one of my 10/22s. I've only had it for 6 months and will mount it on the 6.5 to see if I can break it while it's still under warranty.
    "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• Randy99CL
      Warrior
      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
      Thanks for that! I've read that Vortex has a 40% Veteran/LE discount (off retail, obviously) but there are restrictions. I'll check into it more when I'm ready to buy.
      "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• Lightning8
        Warrior
        • Jun 2015

I found deals on used Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 6-24x50 MRAD for $750 each. This is a great starter scope and deal can be found on refurbs or direct from Vortex with mil discount if you served/serving.

I have multiple Primary Arms "better" scopes that serve me well - I have multiple PA 4-14 "ACSS" scope with the 5.56/308 ACSS reticle and I have used these out to 800 yards on 223, 308, and 6.5Grendel. The PA 4-14s can be found for significantly less than $350. Are the PA 4-14s a great scope - no, but they may be one of the best choices for the money.

For the "hog" scope - consider the PA 1x6 ACSS if money is an object. I have these scopes on 223 AR uppers and used one a 6.8 upper too.

Comment

• s3silver
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

Randy,

Take a look at the Vortex Viper PA to HS models. They run around $300-600 depending on the model. Keep checking midwayusa and ebay as they have sales on them sometimes.

I have a few of their PA and HST models and am very impressed with them. Good clear glass, holds zero all the time, tracking is very repeatable, and lifetime warranty. I use them for 600 yard shooting with the occasional 1000 yard and they work fine. I don't shoot competitions and for what I do, they fit the bill just fine. I keep looking at higher end scopes, but can't justify the purchase just yet.

Comment

• s3silver
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

LRRPF52,

Thanks for the solid advice on learning to shoot at distance. Everything I know is self taught. Your advice confirms I'm on the right track.

Comment

Working...
            X