• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickt300
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

129 gr. Hornady spire point jug test

I always do this when I get some extra gallon milk jugs to shoot. I had 6 but only set up 4 in a row, a mistake. The load is detailed in the Wolf Classic steel case thread of mine. It runs 2200 fps in my guestimate out of my 16 inch barrel. Well it blew the first two jugs asunder, split the third top to bottom, and entered the fourth jug making a 3/4 inch round hole and it exited doing the same thing only it didn't completely cut a circle on the way out. Oddly the third jug was left standing but the fourth was knocked over. I set the jugs 1/2 inch apart. In the first three jugs there were a couple pieces of jacket material and one very small piece of lead in total. 2 pieces of jacket ( the skived triangles from the front of the bullet and a piece of lead 1/4 inch almost round. This is plenty of penetration! Jugs were set up at 100 yards. So Sunday I figure I will have a reasonably useful round to work with.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

What was the recovered weight of the pill in the final jug?

Any pics?
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• rickt300
      Warrior
      • Jan 2017

I couldn't find it as it exited the last jug and buried itself in the blackberry vine.

Comment

• SDguy
        Warrior
        • Oct 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
        What was the recovered weight of the pill in the final jug?

Any pics?
        Sorry no picks, yet Ill share my reason for my fascination for the 129 gr Hornady SP from my experience w 2nd load listed below from a bolt action 6.5 Grendel. This 129 grain Hornady SP was zipping out the muzzle aprox 2700 FPS. Yes from a 24" CZ 527 1 in 9 twist. This test was ran late last summer.

"Finally got some bench time in
        Focus tonight was bullet performance on water jugs / poor mans ballistic jell.

Tonights bullet was the Hornady 129 gr. Spire point.

Firearm is a bolt action CZ 527 W a 24" 1 in 9 twist barrel.

Only 2 loads tested on water jugs, Sorry no Chronograph.

1st load
        Virgin Lapua brass
        129 grain SP over 29.5 grains of WW 748 seated at 2.249". CCI 450 primer
        Results were a beautifully mushroomed bullet in the 4th jug with a retained weight of 109.3 grains. This yields roughly 85% bullet weight retention.
        distance to target from rest was roughly 95 yards.

2nd test was similar to the above test with the following exceptions.
        Note: Neck sized only brass 3 x fired Lapua. Lee collet Neck size die, Yea no lube!
        Powder 32.6 grains of LVR. Powder settled w an electric tooth brush. Slightly compressed load.
        protruding dent in the off side of the 4th jug. Bullet still in the 4th jug.
        bullet weight 92.8 grains whitch provides roughly 72% retained weight.
        the 32.6 grain load of Lever was showing no signs of pressure.

Anyone care to guess where I am leaning for a deer load for this season?

LVR too slow for that application. My azz!

I feel these loads to be safe in my firearm and no assumptions should be made as to whether this load data may be applicable to your firearm. Another words general disclaimer, start 10% low and work up."

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Bill Alexander described the 129gr SST as "murderous" on whitetail.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Les
            Warrior
            • Oct 2016

Is the 129 gr Spire Point designed for just Grendel velocity or Creedmoor too? I've used 139 gr Spire point in 7mm Rem mag for years (kills like lightning) and noticed it also performed well with some 7mm-08 I loaded for a friend, just wondering what velocity range it was designed for.
            Last edited by Les; 08-21-2017, 07:17 PM.
            Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Last edited by LRRPF52; 08-22-2017, 05:04 PM.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• rickt300
                Warrior
                • Jan 2017

As much as I like the looks and BC of the newer tipped bullets most of my shooting of game is inside 200 yards. If I were to push the Grendel out to 300 yards or a bit more I would use the more modern target/hunting bullets. My intended use for the Grendel is night hog hunting and rarely will I take a shot past 100 yards at night. I feel the AR platform and the Grendel are just right for this knowing the round will perform further out with satisfaction. The 129 gr. Spire point will work perfectly in this situation and loaded to top velocity I would bet it would work just fine out to 250 yards. That said the SST is a better all around projectile but until I shoot up my supply of my 16 cent apiece 129 gr. Spire points I'm good for now.

Comment

• Les
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2016

I don't doubt the spire point is obsolete, I'm not sure how long it's been around but I've been stuffing them into 7mag casings since 1980. I'd just never seen published data from Hornady about the velocity it was designed for and this thread got me to thinking about it. I've never recovered an intact bullet when used on muley or whitetails, lucky to find bigger pieces of jacket. Must be careful with bullet placement regardless of range. Since getting into this caliber the 7 sits.
                  Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

The 7mm Rem Mag is an excellent example of the difference in performance between flat based bullets and boat tail/higher BC bullets.

When you run the numbers of a 7mm Rem Mag with the common flat-based 175gr soft points, vs a 7mm-08 with a modern bullet, the 7mm-08 edges away from the 7mm Mag quickly, from a short action, much lower recoil.

7mm Mag with a flat based bullet is a waste of rifle size/action length, powder, and unnecessary recoil all in the name of muzzle velocity alone, which is not retained well at all at the distances that 7mm Mag really does well at with a good bullet. 7mm Mag is very popular out here in the West for elk and mulies, and black bear.

When I looked at the numbers of a 175gr Core Lokt, they weren't good compared to even a decent bullet from a 7mm-08.

175gr Core Lokt has a very pathetic .416 G1 BC due to the flat base. Really fast muzzle velocity (2900fps) burns out quick.
                    7mm Mag 175gr CL..........7mm-08 154gr SST or Interbond, 2800fps
                    100yds 2678 fps................2628 fps
                    200yds 2466 fps................2463 fps
                    300yds 2265 fps................2304 fps
                    400yds 2072 fps................2151 fps
                    500yds 1890 fps................2004 fps

Of course, if you load the 7mm Mag with a decent bullet, you'll smoke the 7mm-08, but you can load a lighter 139gr GMX or 154gr Hornady with less recoil from the 7mm Mag, increase your hit probability, and have better retained weight and performance on target.

If you're just shooting within 200yds, the flat based bullets at low cost are plenty and will do better from a lighter-recoiling rifle since hit probability is higher. The more moderate speeds of the Grendel are an advantage here because you get very predictable, consistent performance without super-explosive effects at the shorter ranges.

Hornady's engineers expressed this liking of Grendel for that reason. Everything is well-behaved.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• SDguy
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                      The 7mm Rem Mag is an excellent example of the difference in performance between flat based bullets and boat tail/higher BC bullets.

When you run the numbers of a 7mm Rem Mag with the common flat-based 175gr soft points, vs a 7mm-08 with a modern bullet, the 7mm-08 edges away from the 7mm Mag quickly, from a short action, much lower recoil.

7mm Mag with a flat based bullet is a waste of rifle size/action length, powder, and unnecessary recoil all in the name of muzzle velocity alone, which is not retained well at all at the distances that 7mm Mag really does well at with a good bullet. 7mm Mag is very popular out here in the West for elk and mulies, and black bear.

When I looked at the numbers of a 175gr Core Lokt, they weren't good compared to even a decent bullet from a 7mm-08.

175gr Core Lokt has a very pathetic .416 G1 BC due to the flat base. Really fast muzzle velocity (2900fps) burns out quick.
                      7mm Mag 175gr CL..........7mm-08 154gr SST or Interbond, 2800fps
                      100yds 2678 fps................2628 fps
                      200yds 2466 fps................2463 fps
                      300yds 2265 fps................2304 fps
                      400yds 2072 fps................2151 fps
                      500yds 1890 fps................2004 fps

Of course, if you load the 7mm Mag with a decent bullet, you'll smoke the 7mm-08, but you can load a lighter 139gr GMX or 154gr Hornady with less recoil from the 7mm Mag, increase your hit probability, and have better retained weight and performance on target.

If you're just shooting within 200yds, the flat based bullets at low cost are plenty and will do better from a lighter-recoiling rifle since hit probability is higher. The more moderate speeds of the Grendel are an advantage here because you get very predictable, consistent performance without super-explosive effects at the shorter ranges.

Hornady's engineers expressed this liking of Grendel for that reason. Everything is well-behaved.
                      Great analogy. I see a number of folks making a big deal over the ABLR and trying to make this bullet stretch the legs of the6.5 Grendel.

Even though I often hunt deer in very open country, I seldom find myself selecting a shot over 200 yards. I have taken deer at ranges exceeding 300 yards though my average shot comes in at less than 100 yards. As cup and core bullets go I feel one is giving up nothing with the flat based 129 grain Core lock bullet as long as they are accurate in your rifle.

I have found the Hornady 129 grain core lock spire point to be amongst my top 3 choices for a deer hunting bullet. There are a lot of promising bullets out there designed to do well inside of 6.5 Grendel parameters. Me preferring to go with the heavier options for great retained energy that sheds that energy well on target inside of 300 yards has been my criteria for the 6.5 Grendel. The fact that these bullets are offered at a very economical price point has made things easy on the pocket book.

More economical ammo = more practice. More practice = more confidence in the field. Nothing wrong with Simple reliable performance in my book.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

Yes, for within closer ranges, I doubt the animal will notice. 129gr Soft Point will do the job all day long.

The 129gr ABLR is something I see more of an enabler for shorter barrel Grendels, as opposed to turning the Grendel into a dedicated Long Range hunting cartridge.

For some, maybe that is what they're looking to do (LR), but the common distances most hunters are comfortable with taking medium game is where some of the better bullets will allow the same performance results, but from a much shorter, lighter gun.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                        X