X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cade
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2016

After alot of shooting and swapping scopes it was the Hornady 123gn SST that was terrible and fouled the barrel real quick throwing everything off. After doing some hand loads everything was just fine and shooting great. Hornady must have switched powder at some point as this was very dirty stuff.

Comment

• jkingrph
      Warrior
      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Cade View Post
      After alot of shooting and swapping scopes it was the Hornady 123gn SST that was terrible and fouled the barrel real quick throwing everything off. After doing some hand loads everything was just fine and shooting great. Hornady must have switched powder at some point as this was very dirty stuff.
      And I just had to buy some of that! My first and only outing was with some Wolf to get me on target then some of the Hornady. Accuracy was so-so, I attributed it a lot to being a hot humid morning with sweat running into my eyes which did not help. I did pick up some of the ELD Black ammo but have yet to try it.

I honestly think the stock on mine made it out without any finish. It was very smooth and looked as though it may have had a very light coat of something of something like Danish oil, very flat and open grained. When I cleaned the gun, and a drop of bore cleaner hit the wood it soaked in immediately leaving a small stain, imitating refinish time. I have been at it for about six weeks with a slow process using a boiled linseed oil, turpentine, venetian turpentine, and carnauba wax mix, that is very slow drying. Stock now looks great and I plan on waiting until weather cools off a bit before heading back to the range.
      Member before 2010, account deleted per 2011 spam attack

Comment

• Kilco
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2016

Every CZ I have owned was a shooter. You are not the only one reporting really groups with the SST ammo lately..

Comment

• Herzo
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2017

I can't speak to the CZ centerfires, but I have a couple of their rimfires that required an afternoon of scrubbing to remove whatever preservative that they used in the bore. Both are now 50 yard tackdrivers if I do my part.

Comment

• stilesg57
            Unwashed
            • Sep 2017

^^^ I had the same experience with my 455s, one in 22lr and the other in 17hmr. Both shot MUCH better after a thorough brushing and about 100 rounds. The hmr is now consistently sub-MOA at 100yds with a couple different factory loads, which is INSANE for a $400 rimfire rifle with the stock trigger that hasn't even been bedded yet.

I'm hoping the 527 Grendel I pick up tomorrow is the same. I'm going to clean it very thoroughly, run an initial box of Hornady through it, then run 4 or 5 boxes of cheap Wolf through it, then go back to the bench for groups with more Hornady to see if that broke her in. Fingers crossed -- at least she'll be pretty to look at either way

Comment

Working...
            X