• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jk2paintworx
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2017

Looking for best factory loads

I am building a new Coyote hunting rifle and looking for a head start on factory ammo to test. The barrel is a 1/8 twist 18" Lilja. I have a lot of partial boxes of .223 that I use to determine what each rifle likes best but I'm new to the 6.5 so I am starting from scratch. I picked up a box of Hornady black but so far that's it. It will be exclusively used for coyote hunting and occasional trip to the range for practice. My goal is to accurately DRT Coyotes since most of my hunting is for ranchers.
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Were you not happy with the Hornady Black? I assume it was 123 gr. ELD Match, yes? If not, give it a try. I found it to be very accurate from my rifle and it did do a number on coyotes.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Depending on how far you intend to shoot coyotes and if your concerned about pelt damage can affect your choice of projectile. The Federal 90 grain TNT and Hornady 123 grain Black ELD-M will probably be the cheapest. Precision Firearms sells ammo loaded with the Nosler 100 grain Ballistic tip in Lapua brass. PF also sell loads with 100 & 108 grain Scenar which are target loads and might extend your range. I'm not sure how much pelt damage you'll get with the match Scenar bullets. I suspect the Scenar may exhibit inconsistent results where some shots the bullet might act like a FMJ with small entry and exit wounds. Other projectiles might tumble and fragment especially on larger yotes and create significant pelt damage.

A couple of forum members are coyote hunters and maybe they'll chime in. I have water tested the 85 grain Sierra Varmint, 90 grain TNT and 95 grain V-Max. All three bullets exhibit the same performance on water as far as penetration and fragmentation. The 100 grain Sierra varmint exhibits more fragmentation than the Noser 100 grain Ballistic Tip hunting bullet in water jug test but the 100 grain Nosler has a higher BC. I have some 100 grain A-Max loaded I want to test in water jugs.

The 95 grain V-Max is an effective coyote bullet but might give more pelt damage than a 22 caliber varmint bullets.
      Last edited by VASCAR2; 08-23-2017, 02:52 PM.

Comment

• Kilco
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2016

Hornady Black will do the job very well, but extremely explosive if you are trying to keep pelts.

The newish federal 90gr load going 2900 fps is ideal for coyotes as well. It is very flat shooting and more than enough womp to drop a yote in its tracks. Also comes in boxes of 50.

Comment

• Jk2paintworx
          Unwashed
          • Aug 2017

Thanks guys. I am not all that concerned with pelt damage. I have a guy that I give em to if they are prime and no big holes. But my main concern is That the are super Dead, and if that means a big hole then that's fine. We mainly hunt for ranchers so the main concern is elimination. I have other rifles I can use if I want to go fur hunting. I like the idea of a flatter shooting round.

Comment

Working...
          X