• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wafavre2
    Warrior
    • Feb 2017

Help with a thermal scope

Hi All,

I am thinking about getting a Thermal Scope for my AR15 Grendel. I have a budget of $6,500.00 to include a DVR recorder and external battery. I have been studying the Armasight Zues 640 3x75 30hz. If you don't mind give me your thoughts on this one and recommend something else if you think it's better. Also recommend a dealer that you would deal with. I plan on using this for Hogs and vermin to about 300 yards

Thanks,

Will
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

I have no experience with thermals but optics planet is a good place to check a price on. I would call them to. I've always received a lower price calling then what is posted on their website.

Comment

• Wafavre2
      Warrior
      • Feb 2017

Thanks Bigs28!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2013

Wafavre2, I am a thermal user and 'pro staff' for Third Coast Thermal. I don't do sales and don't keep up with prices. So I may be a little off on my suggestions, but this will give you some thoughts.

The Armasight Zeus 640 3-24x75 will work for you. I would not suggest the HD version as I don't feel they add value for the additional expense (assuming they are in your price range). Note that these are a 17 micron scope.

With that said, FLIR purchased Armasight. FLIR has come out with their new Thermosight Pro line. They have only released the low end model(s) but higher end units are coming and they appear to be competitively priced. They have a built in DVR (but no sound). I understand they do have a video out port so you could do an external recorder such as you would use with the Armasight. However, you might be waiting until the end of the year for one, but these are 12 micron scopes.

Generally speaking, everything else being the same better images tend to come from...
        Higher native magnification
        Larger objective lens
        Smaller number of microns
        Higher resolution

As the IR Hunter (formerly by IR Defense, now by Trijicon) scopes showed us, a scope with a smaller number of microns can produce and better image even with a smaller objective lens. So waiting on the 12 micron Thermosight Pro line might be worthwhile unless you are in a hurry.

I would also suggest contact private vendors (plural) such as Third Coast Thermal to see what sort of deal they can work with you. Shopping around can save you $.

The only scope that would be close to your price range that I think could work well for you that I would suggest is an IR Hunter MKII 640 2.5-20x50mm 12 micron scope. However, you can find them for sale, used, at a good price. If you are on Facebook, check out this group - Thermal Night Vision Hunting Equipment Buy, Sell, And Trade

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.
        Kill a hog. Save the planet.
        My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Wafavre2
          Warrior
          • Feb 2017

Thanks DNS, great info from a user. I will look into the IR Hunter and check out Third Coast Thermal.

Thanks,

Will

Comment

• ricsmall
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

I agree with DNS. I bought the IR HUNTER MKII 20mm and love it. Everyone that has tried it next to other brands preferred the IR HUNTER.I bought it from third coast thermal and cliff beat everyone else on price and included some extra goodies and a personalized third coast thermal tshirt as well. Great guy to deal with.

Richard

ETA: I got the 20mm because most of my hunting is 100 yds or less and I wanted the wider field of view. If I could do it again I would have gone with the 35mm for the higher native magnification for the occasional longer shots or even for identifying a long distance target.
            Last edited by ricsmall; 08-30-2017, 09:49 PM.
            Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• Wafavre2
              Warrior
              • Feb 2017

Thanks Richard, great info. on the 35mm. The IR Hunter is going on the list.

Thanks,

Will

Comment

• Drift
                Warrior
                • Nov 2014

I think that after about $4500 the additional money you spend is to shrink the size of the scope, not so much to improve thermal performance.. Check out the Pulsar line of thermal scopes. Don't just order over the internet, call the dealers and.. ..deal.

Comment

• Wafavre2
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2017

Thanks Drift. I really like the IRD MkIII Hunter and plan on contacting a couple of dealers to see how firm they are on price.

Will

Comment

Working...
                  X