X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DJL2
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2017

Can we back up a second? Who's reloading for $.35/rd and what components are you using? For general "plinking," the competition is various incarnations of M855 at ~$.30/rd delivered and capable of <2 MOA in the rifles I own. That's the principle reason to even consider the WPA, as noted. The Hornady Black is cost competitive with virtually any match 5.56 I can find, so that's less a concern...and, of course, the 6.5G is a better choice for anything outside a normal qualification anyhow.

Basically, I'm not sure how much shooting I can do when it's $.80+/rd every time the rifle goes bang, but I know for sure that I am a lot better off @ $.35/rd, assuming I'm getting some comparably decent performance.

Comment

• CastorTroy
      Warrior
      • Mar 2015

What kind of load? Just a blasting/plinking load?

Lapua 100gr spitzers @ .24ea
      31gr powder @ .133ea (assuming $30/lb for powder)
      Primer @ .035ea

Gets you to ~.41 a round not including your brass cost

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
        Chieftain
        • May 2012

excluding brass and rounding
        nosler cc 123gr 0.14
        powder .13
        primer .04

comes to 31 cents a pop but i got bullets cheap watching shooter pro shop for deals and stocking up
        Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• CastorTroy
          Warrior
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
          excluding brass and rounding
          nosler cc 123gr 0.14
          powder .13
          primer .04

comes to 31 cents a pop but i got bullets cheap watching shooter pro shop for deals and stocking up
          damn, thats quite the deal on the bullets

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
            Chieftain
            • May 2012

Originally posted by CastorTroy View Post
            damn, thats quite the deal on the bullets
            yeah it was a few years back they were basically dumping 6.5 bullets on sps a lot of us stocked up they may not have the bc of other stuff but for plinking inside 300 they shoot better than i do

Comment

• Sticks
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2016

So, I am working 7 days a week right now (out of town), so I am only back home long enough to do laundry, pack and head out again.

I pulled down 100 rounds of Wolf, and did some checking.

Bullets are all .262 =/- .0005. Powder on 20 rounds was mostly 30.0gr, a couple were 30.3gr and a couple were 29.7gr. The biggest thing that I noticed was inconsistent neck tension. Most pulled normal, some were wicked tight - 25%. Makes me wonder if that is part of the accuracy.

I loaded up 20 rounds to start with. All were run through my sizing die to try to get the necks consistent (which after the fact I realized I need to expand it out first) Chamfered the mouth and loaded 10 at 30gr with the wolf pill back in, another 10 with 30gr and 123 ELD. I should note that I did have brass/copper dust after seated the ELD. I am going to load up 10 rounds of some Federal brass with 30gr and a pulled wolf pill that I have to see if the wolf inaccuracy is the case or the pill.

Who knows when I will get to fire them. I also plan on some ladder loads looking for accuracy nodes, and a lighter pill. 100 - 110 weight.
              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• bj139
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2017

Sticks,

It looks like you're making good progress. I am surprised you did not cut the powder back on the 123g due to 23% heavier weight.

I sized a fired Wolf steel case in my reloading die last night and was surprised how easy it was even bending and breaking the decapping pin due to Mr. Berdan. Oops.

The expander could be raised in the die so the pin does not hit or the right size bushing die would not need re-expansion of the neck.

What bullet puller are you using?

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2012

if you are in the mood to experiment you can water punch the primers out of berdan cases and remove the berdan anvil and drill a center hole for boxer type, with wolf cases i have found a empty 22 lr brass to be the perfect filler for reducing the diameter of the pocket to accept standard boxer lr primers you gust tap them in trim with a dremmel and swedge them into the pocket and chamfer, by the time you do all of this you would probably be farther ahead just accepting the loss of a reloadable brass case.....
                  I was in the mood to experiment one day during the 2 years of its coming next quarter that occurred while we waited for wolf steel case grendel and converted a wolf 7.62 steel case and sized then fire formed it it gets loaded every time i load a batch as part of the ongoing experiment to date it has 8 firings without issue using the same charge and bullet i use with my lapua cases

Comment

• Sticks
                    Chieftain
                    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                    Sticks,

It looks like you're making good progress. I am surprised you did not cut the powder back on the 123g due to 23% heavier weight.

What bullet puller are you using?
                    Probably not my brightest moment. I will fire one round and inspect. Between velocity and primer condition, I'll have an idea if it's safe to continue. I'll still have my ladder loads going on before I get to that point with the 30gr charge.

I am using a RCBS Bushing FL sizing die with the decapping backed all the way out.

The puller is a RCBS Collet Puller.

Lee Breech Lock Press. Not the best, bulk of my funds for reloading Grendel went into the Type S bushing die set. My loadmaster may get put back into service for case prep.
                    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• bj139
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2017

I was using a newly purchased Lee breech lock hand press when I broke the pin.
                      It was TOO easy.
                      I had this idea the hand press is weaker than a bench press.
                      Now I don't think so. The hand press may be a good option for traveling.

I only have a kinetic bullet puller so I will have lots of pounding to do 20.
                      Your finding of case neck tension inconsistency may be key.
                      Could be as simple as pulling, dumping powder, resizing and reinstalling original powder and bullet.
                      If groups go to < 1 MOA, I will be amazed.

Comment

• Sticks
                        Chieftain
                        • Dec 2016

There was no way a kinetic puller is going to break some of those wolf rounds down. When I mean wicked tight, I mean I have the collet all but marring the bullet, and two handed (push pull) on the press & handle to extract.
                        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• LR1955
                          Super Moderator
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                          There was no way a kinetic puller is going to break some of those wolf rounds down. When I mean wicked tight, I mean I have the collet all but marring the bullet, and two handed (push pull) on the press & handle to extract.
                          Very true for military types of ammo. Laquered or tarred into the neck with a hard crimp. I have literally crushed LC M-855 and M-80 Ball bullets trying to pull them out of the brass. Most have been hard to get out, some almost impossible.

A technique is similar to yours but with less strain on the collet bullet puller. I would run them into a seating die and push them into the case a little. They come out easier after that.

A kinetic bullet puller is a means of convincing anyone to get a collet bullet puller.

LR55

Comment

• Sticks
                            Chieftain
                            • Dec 2016

Well it might trash a turret, but my loadmaster could be set up with a cheap seating die in #1, puller in #2, Expander to open the mouth out to .264 in #3, sizing in #4, then remove and dump the powder.
                            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

A kinetic bullet puller is a means of convincing anyone to get a collet bullet puller.
                              This is sigline material here. I had a primer activate on me on load I was pulling down before.

I was pulling it because it didn't weigh anywhere near all my other cartridges. Turned out to be a squib, thankfully.
                              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Sticks
                                Chieftain
                                • Dec 2016

I managed to get all my ladder loads made up (AA2230, AA2520, CFE-223, Wolf case & Powder+ ELD, 20 rounds of Federal Brass, 30gr Wolf Powder, CCI BR primer, & Wolf Pill). Now to go shoot at some point. I am hoping this coming Saturday. Finally off, and weather is supposed to max out in the mid 70s.

Ill shoot some baseline Wolf and ELD to give me an example to go with. The ELD I'll shoot first out of a clean cold bore. Not sure I want to Foul with Wolf.
                                Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

Working...
                                X