X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Those under size steel Wolf/Branual FMJ bullets lack of accuracy reminds me of how a 22 rimfire long rifle behaves when shot out of a 1:9 twist 5.56/223 Remington barrel using a 22 LR conversion. The Steel jacketed bullets are not being stabalized consistently but wouldn’t have been great if Wolf had collaborated with PPU to put the 120 grain MPT bullet in the Branual steel cases.

A Friend bought some of the PPU MPT’s from Graf’s in bulk and they actually shoot pretty good considering the price.

Maybe wolf should contact PPU and see if they have any rail cars full of left over MPT bullets. Might be a marriage made in heaven, PPU bullets in Wolf steel cased ammo. lol

Comment

• Onebigelf
      Unwashed
      • Sep 2017

I've been following this post with some interest.
      I've been doing this with 7.62x39 for some time, but I dump the powder as well and just use the primed cases. At about .25 cents per primed case this works out pretty well for shooting tactical carbine comps where recovering my brass isn't an option. Loading 29.2gr of Hodgdon CFE and a 125gr Speer SP knocks 2 inches off my groups using Tula cases (I retrim length as well.) Not sub-MOA, but 1.75" out of an AK sbr is pretty fair.

Doing the same in 6.5 Grendel looks like it would offer at least similar savings. I don't think you're going to see much in improvement reloading the OEM projectile (my experience in 7.62x39 is that the quality is crap- weights vary, sizing, roundness... just... no) or just balancing out the powder charge. But Grendel cases are pricey as heck. Most places I've looked, the savings on the brass and primer is going to be .35/per or more. That's $7/box.

I've got dies and a factory crimp die on order. I'll post when I see what I can get. One run of the carbine course is abut 200 rounds and $70 is nothing to sneeze at!

John

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

The powder is good, especially given the groups that I got.

Recycle that powder too. I am going to get a box of 120gr ELD and try a straight pull/push and see what happens.

I will be very bored soon, and may just do a full pull down and reload on all I have. If I can duplicate that one group with the ELD...I have another 500 rounds to compete with.

Given the undersized pill coming out, there is no need for crimp. They handle a bolt release slam into battery without walking the bullet forward at all. All neck tension. That is with a JPSCS with a heavy spring.
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• bj139
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2017

Note to self: Try this pull/push with 85g Sierras. Shoot and report back here. Please remind me if I forget.

Sticks, do you inside chamfer to prevent scraping the bullet?
          Last edited by bj139; 10-20-2017, 03:19 PM.

Comment

• Sticks
            Chieftain
            • Dec 2016

I chamfered the inside and out, and still got "dust" on my fingers when I seated the 123's. Not enough to cause short range issues, all sub MOA groups @ 100. Stuffing a .264 pill in a hole that is .261. Tight fit.
            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• bj139
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2017

I just pulled 10 rounds, chamfered the necks and seated 85g Sierra HPs to the depth I used before which did not stick in the lands.

The next time I could shoot would be Monday. I will shoot two 5 round groups with standard Wolf and two 5 round groups with the replaced bullet rounds.

I will use my 24" AA Overwatch which is my most precise barrel. I will report after then.

Pulling the bullets is very hard with some rounds and easy with others as you have said. I did not factory crimp.

Hoping for a one holer.

Comment

• 1075 tech
                Warrior
                • Apr 2015

How do you think this will work out using 100gr TTSX? Just doing a pull/push? I'm still in the process of getting my reloading setup set up but I have two sealed cases of Wolf and plenty more loose boxes to work with.

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                  I just pulled 10 rounds, chamfered the necks and seated 85g Sierra HPs to the depth I used before which did not stick in the lands.

The next time I could shoot would be Monday. I will shoot two 5 round groups with standard Wolf and two 5 round groups with the replaced bullet rounds.

I will use my 24" AA Overwatch which is my most precise barrel. I will report after then.

Pulling the bullets is very hard with some rounds and easy with others as you have said. I did not factory crimp.

Hoping for a one holer.
                  B39:

I wouldn't hold my breath with the 85 grain Sierra's. I have shot a bunch of them through a couple of Grendels. Nothing stellar but at least they are .264!

If you get under 1 1/2 minutes with them, be happy.

Run the Wolf stuff through a seating die and push them in the case a touch to break the crimp and tar if they tarred the necks. It will make pulling them 'easier'.

LR55

Comment

• bj139
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2017

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                    B39:

I wouldn't hold my breath with the 85 grain Sierra's. I have shot a bunch of them through a couple of Grendels. Nothing stellar but at least they are .264!

If you get under 1 1/2 minutes with them, be happy.

Run the Wolf stuff through a seating die and push them in the case a touch to break the crimp and tar if they tarred the necks. It will make pulling them 'easier'.

LR55
                    Then I am extremely happy. I have shot several 0.5 MOA 3 shot groups with them from my Overwatch.
                    Here is a semi box I shot for fun one day.
                    IMG_20170707_150346 (Medium).jpg
                    I was grabbing the bullets a bit high and pushing them in first if I could and then pulling. I am not sure if I could push past the crimp if there is one.

Comment

• Sticks
                      Chieftain
                      • Dec 2016

I would think that the closer a person got to the 120 bullet weight that the wolf was designed around (powder charge) the better chance of success.
                      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• bj139
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2017

Doesn't the Wolf steel ammo have a 100g bullet?

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                          Chieftain
                          • Oct 2016

Doesn't the Wolf steel ammo have a 100g bullet?
                          Yes, it does.
                          Last edited by Kswhitetails; 10-22-2017, 07:33 PM.
                          Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                            Chieftain
                            • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                            Almost wish I got in on that Lapua 120 Scenar sale at, what, $.27 per? Double damn.
                            I will send you 250 at that price. That's what I paid, and had to add shipping. I'd even cover the shipping to you. Message me if you're interested. (Sticks)

I'm really curious if I should save my remaining 500 for my own MM*, or just start a ladder for my AA Lapua brass and some 8208.

If the 120 SCENAR-Ls prove effective in the steel, my Wolf case will become steel Lapua before my next range session. I already have started my search for a puller.

I know this is a hijack, but what would you guys take for a puller if offered either a Hornady cam-lock, or an RCBS for free? My dad wants to know what to get me for xmas. I'm trending toward the Hornady because of the ease of the up/down vs the screw lever. Don't know if it really makes it easier.
                            Last edited by Kswhitetails; 10-21-2017, 11:33 PM. Reason: Offer only valid to parenthesied ID
                            Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• LR1955
                              Super Moderator
                              • Mar 2011

Then I am extremely happy. I have shot several 0.5 MOA 3 shot groups with them from my Overwatch.
                              Here is a semi box I shot for fun one day.
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]9993[/ATTACH]
                              I was grabbing the bullets a bit high and pushing them in first if I could and then pulling. I am not sure if I could push past the crimp if there is one.
                              Don't know if you got lucky or my barrels just didn't like them too much. I shot a couple of High Power matches using them at 200 yards. Nothing spectacular but super light recoil. I finally just shot the 120's over the entire course with the same load. They shot better scores for me at 200 than the 85's or 100 (?) grain Varminters. Funny because I have always found flat base bullets to be super good for short range. Easy to load for and very consistent.

LR55

Comment

• bj139
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
                                I know this is a hijack, but what would you guys take for a puller if offered either a Hornady cam-lock, or an RCBS for free? My dad wants to know what to get me for xmas. I'm trending toward the Hornady because of the ease of the up/down vs the screw lever. Don't know if it really makes it easier.
                                I used my RCBS puller for the first time in my Lee turret press. Tightening the collet turned the turret. Not good
                                I wedged a .329 cast bullet between a top bolt and the turret to hold it in place.
                                The turning motion to loosen the collet unscrews the die so I screwed a quick change bushing on the die from the bottom to stop this.
                                The motion on the Hornady would not do this. The collets seem better made on the RCBS.

Comment

Working...
                                X