• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
    Doesn't the Wolf steel ammo have a 100g bullet?
    I'd have bet a fair chunk of my squirrel fund that they were 120s, and that the ones I initially pulled and weighed were 119gr. I just grabbed a small bunch from the bag and sure as S**** they are 99.2 to 100.8.

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
    I will send you 250 at that price. That's what I paid, and had to add shipping. I'd even cover the shipping to you. Message me if you're interested. (Sticks)
    All I need is 10 for testing purposes. 30gr may still be too much for 120s on a pull and push, given that I started flattening primers .6gr under that with 123s. A Howa may take it.

I may need to step down to some Lapua 108s ($.38) or 107 SMK ($.31) for the pull and push....Wishing I had not run the ballistics on all of the above....2 days making ladder loads for my 123s and the ballistics say 108s are the way to go.
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Sticks
      Chieftain
      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
      I used my RCBS puller for the first time in my Lee turret press. Tightening the collet turned the turret. Not good
      I wedged a .329 cast bullet between a top bolt and the turret to hold it in place.
      The turning motion to loosen the collet unscrews the die so I screwed a quick change bushing on the die from the bottom to stop this.
      The motion on the Hornady would not do this. The collets seem better made on the RCBS.
      Buy the cheapest single stage press you can find, or I'd go vice grips on the knurled portion of the die - something you can grab onto to keep the turret in position and not loosen.
      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• bj139
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2017

Yes. Vise grips. Thanks.

Comment

• bj139
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2017

Someone asked me how the Ballistic Advantage barrel shot in another thread so I shot the that barrel today.
          It had never been fired,
          I swabbed the bore with some Rem oil but I should have brushed the chamber as well since
          there were failures to feed on the first 20 shots and a few others. Later was better feeding.
          At first the shots were everywhere but each shot landed closer to the preceeding shot.
          Here are the first 20 shots. The last 5 were pretty good for Wolf steel ammo from a new barrel.
          IMG_20171023_161025 (Medium).jpg

I shot at 50 yards and multiplied the group sizes by 2 to get MOA.
          Here are the results of pulling the bullet from 10 Wolf steel rounds and replacing them with Sierra 85gr HP.
          The average of the 3 factory Wolf groups was 1.89 MOA and the 2 groups of 85g replacements was 1.19 MOA.
          I am very happy with the group sizes from the Wolf ammo. I think I have found a steel shooter.

There was an improvement replacing the bullets. I may have had better results from the replacements with a broken in barrel.

IMG_20171023_160945 (Medium).jpg

I might have shot better but there were a couple of guys wanting to use the bench I was shooting at.
          I could have rapid fired them if there were not so many FTFs.

Comment

• Bill Alexander
            Bloodstained
            • Jul 2015

Early lots of the steel cased ammunition used a Belgium formulated powder. The ammunition is now loaded with a US powder.

Bimetal projectiles are not going to perform at all in barrels with canted transitions between lands and grooves. The Wolf projectile was designed for the more aggressive tangent transitions and tighter minor diameters.

Comment

• Keef
              Warrior
              • Jun 2017

I wonder what a wolf upper would slug at...

Comment

• bj139
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Bill Alexander View Post
                Early lots of the steel cased ammunition used a Belgium formulated powder. The ammunition is now loaded with a US powder.

Bimetal projectiles are not going to perform at all in barrels with canted transitions between lands and grooves. The Wolf projectile was designed for the more aggressive tangent transitions and tighter minor diameters.
                The BA barrel has 6 groove rifling as compared to 5 groove which is what I see mostly in the Grendel.
                Which one should perform better with bimetal projectiles or neither?

Are there canted transitions in my Overwatch barrel or tangent transitions?

I have to look to see if the Overwatch is 6 groove or 5 groove. I never looked before

Edit: It looks like the overwatch is 6 groove.
                Last edited by bj139; 10-24-2017, 12:30 AM.

Comment

• GSPHunter
                  Warrior
                  • Jun 2014

Thank you for shedding some light on the powder Mr. Alexander. I've found my new Faxon 20" group buy barrel shoots the Wolf Steel cased significantly better than either my older J&T and Sabre Defense barrels. Is there any chance that the lands being .003" instead of .004" helps offset the disadvantage of being 5R?

Comment

• VASCAR2
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Bill why don’t you talk to Wolf/Branual and get them to introduce a second steel cased load using a better bullet. PPU is selling the 120 grain MPT aka HP BT as a loading component. The PPU bullet or a 123 grain SST would be a really good selling product. Even a multi purpose 100 grain Cup and Core tipped hunting bullet would sell good in a steel cased 6.5 Grendel.
                    Last edited by VASCAR2; 10-24-2017, 01:33 PM.

Comment

• Troutguide
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2017

I would vote for a 100 gr anything other than FMJ and better sized for accuracy.
                      "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• PVBoom
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Troutguide View Post
                        I wonder why they are using the undersize pill, can't be a cost savings unless there is an extra step to make the neck fit, more problems with oversized pills than under? Seems like an easy fix for a manufacturer to provide a superior product. Possibly they want to sell more expensive brass cased ammo, but volume should trump margin unless they are getting the brass cases for the same price as steel and they are just creaming the market and getting much higher margins on brass.
                        Commonality with another caliber? The same bullets for multiple calipers? If you are selling it cheap and the majority of your customers are using it for blasting ammo why not shave where you can with your tighter margins?

Comment

• Sticks
                          Chieftain
                          • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Troutguide View Post
                          I would vote for a 100 gr anything other than FMJ and better sized for accuracy.
                          I would vote for a properly sized bullet.
                          Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• biodsl
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2011

- Wolf Steel Case Control
                            AV 2618 HI 2629 LO 2603 SD 12 ES 26
                            2628, 2608, 2629, 2626, 2603
                            One 5 shot group: 2 MOA

- Wolf Semi-Steel 95gr V-Max
                            AV 2700 HI 2719 LO 2668 SD 19 ES 51
                            2700, 2668, 2714, 2719, 2700
                            Average of three, 5 round groups: 1.1 MOA

- Wolf Steel Case Control
                            AV 2508 HI 2535 LO 2482 SD 24 ES 53
                            2490, 2482, 2535, 2531, 2495
                            One, 5 shot group: 3.4 MOA

- Wolf Semi-Steel 95gr V-Max
                            AV 2589 HI 2608 LO 2578 SD 11 ES 30
                            2578, 2582, 2590, 2608, 2590
                            Average of four, 5 shot groups: 1.625

Side note: would anyone care to explain to me how a three groove polygonal barrel shoots the stock Wolf SC so much better than the AA?
                            Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Sticks
                              Chieftain
                              • Dec 2016

You also have 6 more inches of barrel to work some majic on that POS wolf pill.

I've read something either BFT or LR55 posted about groves/lands somewhere.

Nice results BTW on the 95gr.
                              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Sticks
                                Chieftain
                                • Dec 2016

I started pulling down half my inventory last night, and I'll be damned, there was a second type of powder. Straight up fine ball powder, whereas the first trials were a combination of flake and ball (new case). The older stuff I have that I got off the buy sell trade section was the fine ball. Not enough to justify a ladder workup, probably just load it light and use it for noise making.

Anybody interested in 700 or so undersized 100gr or so steel core blemished bullets? I don't know that a person can make this stuff accurate doing a proper load workup with brass cases, and I don't have a cheap barrel I am willing to shorten the life of doing so.
                                Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

Working...
                                X