20" Barrel, Adjustable gas block needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hdrolling
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2017

20" Barrel, Adjustable gas block needed?

So reading through different threads and using the search feature I'm undecided if an adjustable gas block is going to be "needed" in my build.

So i'll try to spell out my thoughts.

For my 20" build (using the 20" Faxon GB barrel) I would prefer a non-adjustable gas block so I can use a 15" or longer free float hand guard.
    Could you also comment on why you decided to go with an adjustable ie. suppressor, different bullet loads etc.
    And if you could post what length hand guard you used to be able to adjust the gas block (rifle length gas system only). I see places sell long allen head tools for what I'm guessing is for owners with longer hand guards?

I'm looking at a good clamp on non-adjustable gas block but before I order one and a longer hand guard I want to make sure there is no reason I "need" an adjustable.

Also it looks like the SRL sentry 7 is a go to for many that use adjustable's, are these easy to adjust with a 15" or 16.5" hand guard?

Pics of either installed would be helpful, on the picture thread not everyone lists if their using an adjustable or not.

Thanks
    Last edited by hdrolling; 09-01-2017, 01:57 PM.
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

If it's a 20" barrel with a RLGS and a .94 port, I believe they run very well without an adjustable gas block.

I have no experiences with suppressors so ill leave that to the more knowing folk.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

I put an adjustable gas block on my 20" Shilen and haven't had to adjust it since my first day I set it on the range. The only way I'll put an adjustable gas block on another 20" 6.5 Grendel is if I was going to use a suppressor. Since I live in Illinois suppressors are not currently an option. I seriously considered getting a 20" Faxon group buy barrel and would've used a standard low progile gas block. I used a 15" Hogue over molded free float hand guard on my 20" Shilen barrel. I used a JP adjustable gas block clamp on with a top Picatinney rail.

Comment

• Wafavre2
        Warrior
        • Feb 2017

20" Bartlein PF with RLGB, SLR adjustable Gas Block with a Lancer Rifle+ Carbon Fiber hand guard. SLR came with the longer Allen Wrench. Setup GB with Wolf Steel cased to cycle and did not have to readjust with factory or handloads. I plan on using a suppressor so I installed the adjustable. Another advantage to an adjustable GB is you can tune it to the buffer system as needed and change from carbine to Rifle. Install an adjustable once and have flexibility.

Will

Comment

• Kswhitetails
          Chieftain
          • Oct 2016

If you have an adjustable GB, you can turn off your gas. Then you have a gas-less gas gun!

I had a seekins GB inside my 15" NOXS rail. Worked like a champ. I never had to tune it down, ran it wide open. It was a freebie with the guard, and I didn't yet have a suppressor, so no need.
          20" with RLGS and a .09x port.

IMG_6078 (Custom).JPG
          IMG_6157 (Custom).JPG
          IMG_6158 (Custom).JPG
          This was an experimental install of my SLR HELIX 16". Looked great, and I could easily enough adjust it inside the guard. Be advised, obtain a long allen socket to adjust the set screw or adjustment screw if they are accessed from the front of the hand guard. My two cents.
          Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• cb4017
            Warrior
            • Dec 2016

So far I haven't found that a 6.5 Grendel needs an adjustable gas block, if the gas port is properly sized. I've built two 20" uppers and just received a LaRue 18" upper. All run fine and are well behaved without an adjustable gas block.
            Cliff
            USN Ret., FPD Ret.

Dues Vult

Comment

• hdrolling
              Bloodstained
              • Aug 2017

Well I decided since I don't have a suppressor yet to just go with a low profile non-adjustable GB.

Started ordering this months parts:

20" Faxon barrel via the group buy
              "Monster" bolt via the group buy
              Sionics NP3 coated bolt carrier w/ firing pin, NP3 coated cam pin and firing pin retaining pin
              Noveske marked VLTOR MUR upper with forward assist
              Noveske 16.5" NSR handguard
              Noveske low pro gas block
              Black WMD rifle length gas tube
              x3 E lander mags

I already have a BCM comp mod 1 that I removed from my 300 blk than I plan to use for now.

If all these parts come in before I get paid again I use the lower off my DDM4V11 PRO that already has a PRS stock and Geissele SSA-E trigger in it to go test the upper out.
              Last edited by hdrolling; 09-02-2017, 02:31 AM.

Comment

• RogueNathan
                Bloodstained
                • Jul 2015

You should not need an adjustable for the vast majority of loads. We used the gas port spec'd by Bill Alexander.

However, an adjustable can always help reduce recoil assuming your load has extra energy to support reducing the gas port diameter.
                The Director at Faxon Firearms.

Please send us an e-mail anytime! Nathan.S@faxonfirearms.com

Comment

• hdrolling
                  Bloodstained
                  • Aug 2017

Originally posted by RogueNathan View Post
                  You should not need an adjustable for the vast majority of loads. We used the gas port spec'd by Bill Alexander.

However, an adjustable can always help reduce recoil assuming your load has extra energy to support reducing the gas port diameter.
                  I'm going to see how the non-adjustable works out, normally I just use one load and target practice with that. The longest range we have here in the FT Bragg area is 600 yards so that's going to be my target range.

Comment

• hdrolling
                    Bloodstained
                    • Aug 2017

And just like that I have an SLR Sentry 7, since I've never used one I really want to try one out. I was worried it wouldn't it wouldn't fit under my hand guard but now that I have it it's almost the same size as my low profile noveske gas block.

Won't know for sure until I get my barrel but I'll be ready for when it gets here.

Comment

• sawacs
                      Unwashed
                      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by hdrolling View Post
                      So reading through different threads and using the search feature I'm undecided if an adjustable gas block is going to be "needed" in my build.

So i'll try to spell out my thoughts.

For my 20" build (using the 20" Faxon GB barrel) I would prefer a non-adjustable gas block so I can use a 15" or longer free float hand guard.
                      Could you also comment on why you decided to go with an adjustable ie. suppressor, different bullet loads etc.
                      And if you could post what length hand guard you used to be able to adjust the gas block (rifle length gas system only). I see places sell long allen head tools for what I'm guessing is for owners with longer hand guards?

I'm looking at a good clamp on non-adjustable gas block but before I order one and a longer hand guard I want to make sure there is no reason I "need" an adjustable.

Also it looks like the SRL sentry 7 is a go to for many that use adjustable's, are these easy to adjust with a 15" or 16.5" hand guard?

Pics of either installed would be helpful, on the picture thread not everyone lists if their using an adjustable or not.

Thanks
                      After running an adjustable gas block, I wondered why I had not installed one sooner!

I run the SLR Sentry 7, set screw variant, on two 6.8's (16" and 18"), a 223 wylde, and a soon to be completed 6mm Predator (Grendel based).

With the adjustable gas block, I can tune the rifle to eject the rounds where they should be ejecting and keep a large portion, if not most, of the blowback from the suppressor out of the receiver. If I want to keep my brass looking like it came out of a bolt action rifle, I can close the gas block off enough to break the case free from the chamber but not eject the case leaving me to manually cycle the bolt. Shooting this way works great for loading out past mag length for accuracy testing.

Regarding adjusting the gas block, SLR makes an extended ball driver that allows you to reach the adjustment screw. For example, I can adjust the gas block while running the SLR 16" SOLO rail with a mid-length gas system and can still reach the same gas block with the 16.5" SOLO rail.

The pic is a 18" 6.8 with a mid-length gas system running the SLR Sentry 7 and 16" SOLO rail. Adjusting the gas block is no problem with this tool: http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?r...&product_id=75

Hope this helps,

Sawacs
                      Last edited by sawacs; 09-17-2017, 08:23 AM.

Comment

• hdrolling
                        Bloodstained
                        • Aug 2017

Originally posted by sawacs View Post
                        After running an adjustable gas block, I wondered why I had not installed one sooner!

I run the SLR Sentry 7, set screw variant, on two 6.8's (16" and 18"), a 223 wylde, and a soon to be completed 6mm Predator (Grendel based).

With the adjustable gas block, I can tune the rifle to eject the rounds where they should be ejecting and keep a large portion, if not most, of the blowback from the suppressor out of the receiver. If I want to keep my brass looking like it came out of a bolt action rifle, I can close the gas block off enough to break the case free from the chamber but not eject the case leaving me to manually cycle the bolt. Shooting this way works great for loading out past mag length for accuracy testing.

Regarding adjusting the gas block, SLR makes an extended ball driver that allows you to reach the adjustment screw. For example, I can adjust the gas block while running the SLR 16" SOLO rail with a mid-length gas system and can still reach the same gas block with the 16.5" SOLO rail.

The pic is a 18" 6.8 with a mid-length gas system running the SLR Sentry 7 and 16" SOLO rail. Adjusting the gas block is no problem with this tool: http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?r...&product_id=75

Hope this helps,

Sawacs

Thanks, my only concern is that the SLR sentry 7 wouldn't fit under my Noveske NSR hand guard. While researching I came across a few threads where owners had gas bock hitting the NSR and they needed to change to smaller gas blocks.

Now that I have the Noveske low profile GB and the Sentry 7 they look very close in size. But until I get my barrel and mock up with the gas block and hand guard I won't know for sure if it will clear the hand guard.

IMG_8992 by IMG_8995 (1) by hd_rolling, on Flickrhd_rolling, on Flickr

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                          Chieftain
                          • Oct 2016

Do you have another barrel to scavenge and use? Seems like it'd be simple enough to slide on a GB, and test fit a barrel, caliber wouldn't make a difference on ODs. It won't be worth dis-mantling another weapon, but the way you seem to have extras... never know, you may have 4 barrels leaning in the corner
                          Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• hdrolling
                            Bloodstained
                            • Aug 2017

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
                            Do you have another barrel to scavenge and use? Seems like it'd be simple enough to slide on a GB, and test fit a barrel, caliber wouldn't make a difference on ODs. It won't be worth dis-mantling another weapon, but the way you seem to have extras... never know, you may have 4 barrels leaning in the corner
                            No extra barrels, and all my current uppers are factory assembled so I don't want to take any apart. I already have the two gas blocks and I know the Noveske non adjustable fits so I'm 99% sure the SLR will, and I have a good feeling we'll be getting our 20" group buy barrels really soon now that the 12" barrels are done and mailed out.

Comment

• grayfox
                              Chieftain
                              • Jan 2017

Seeing the pictures, I'd definitely wait for the 'proof of the pudding'...
                              If you line up the exposed setscrews with the bottom of the plain one, the height dimension seems significant... under a handguard that is...
                              "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X