20" Barrel, Adjustable gas block needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hdrolling
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2017

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
    Seeing the pictures, I'd definitely wait for the 'proof of the pudding'...
    If you line up the exposed setscrews with the bottom of the plain one, the height dimension seems significant... under a handguard that is...
    Hopefully the set screws won't be exposed, I have an SLR set screw jig so I can dimple the barrel for a more secure fit. I'm guessing now that all the 12" group buy barrels are in and shipped out that the 20" barrels will soon follow.
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Comment

• Gman6.5
      Bloodstained
      • Aug 2017

I just built a 20" Faxon barreled with a Faxon non adjustable LP GB and it ran like a thief with Hornady Black, and SST 123's. Also has a spikes T-1 buffer similar to a carbine weight buffer.

I think my Faxon liked the SST's better!

Comment

• Gman6.5
        Bloodstained
        • Aug 2017

I originally had BCM KMR Alpha rail (1.3 inner diameter) on my build that I believe the low-profile Faxon GB was vibrating against the rail giving me vertical stringing and as soon as I replaced it with a MI SP-Series (Suppressor Compatible) Rail the vertical stringing went away I am now getting good groups.

At first I thought there would be no problem because it did clear by a bit when looking at it inside the rail. When just flexing the barrel by hand it seemed to flex a lot more with the BCM KMR Alpha than it does with the larger more sturdy barrel nut of MI.

I also noticed with a couple of BCM KMR rails I used in the past it seemed that the barrel nut is made of a soft metal and marred very easy even when only torquing to 40 foot-pounds as per instructions from BCM.

When I installed the MI rail I went with Bill Alexander's advice and didn't want to torque any less than 60 foot-pounds and ended up making it to almost 80 foot-pounds when everything lined up and that seemed to do the trick.
        Last edited by Gman6.5; 09-17-2017, 05:23 PM.

Comment

• sawacs
          Unwashed
          • Sep 2017

Hdrolling, good luck with the gas block and the build.

For what its worth, I had to grind a little from the SOLO rail to be certain the gas block would not rub the rail. The S7 gas block was just too close for my comfort zone

Comment

• hdrolling
            Bloodstained
            • Aug 2017

Originally posted by sawacs View Post
            Hdrolling, good luck with the gas block and the build.

For what its worth, I had to grind a little from the SOLO rail to be certain the gas block would not rub the rail. The S7 gas block was just too close for my comfort zone
            Hmm, looks like the SOLO and NSR are both 1.3 inner diameter. That doesn't sound to promising, is the grinding noticeable from the outside?

Comment

• sawacs
              Unwashed
              • Sep 2017

If you did not know where to look, you would never notice the rail mod. Grinding the rail wasn't necessary and the only reason I did so was for a little additional clearance.

Comment

• Difranco
                Unwashed
                • Nov 2014

I went with the Rubber City Bolt Carrier w/ adjustable gas key instead of adjustable gas block.

Blacknitride+ Enhanced Made from 8620 steel With billet adjustable gas key side staked RCA patented pending adjustable gas system. Adjust gas at the carrier to avoid the need for changing your gas block. Includes: Directions, 3 1/8 screws and 2 3/16 set screws and wrench included to make necessary adjustments.
                Last edited by Difranco; 09-24-2017, 04:55 AM.
                When you clean the vacuum cleaner you become the vacuum cleaner.

Comment

• diddlyv
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2016

I have a 20 inch Odin barrel on one of my grendles. Odin told me I would not need an adjustable gas block. Having more money than sense I ordered one of their adjustable blocks screwed up and clicked set screw one vs clamp on that I really wanted. Pretty sure I could have sent back and got the clamp on but bird in hand I installed and works fine. Easy to adjust with the extended ball tip screw driver. Odin has witness mark on barrel and block slide up till hits collar align two marks tighten set screws. I did remove set screw to verify the holes lined up when block against collar
                  Queen of Battle
                  Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• hdrolling
                    Bloodstained
                    • Aug 2017

I ended up using the SLR adjustable and dialed it in Mon, very easy to use and glad I decided to try it.

When Installing I also used the SLR barrel dimple jig to align the gas hole to the where the dimples needed to be drilled on the opposite side, worked perfect and made the job simple.

IMG_9005 by hd_rolling, on Flickr
                    IMG_9004 by hd_rolling, on Flickr
                    IMG_9006 by hd_rolling, on Flickr

Comment

• Lastrites
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2017

Originally posted by Difranco View Post
                      I went with the Rubber City Bolt Carrier w/ adjustable gas key instead of adjustable gas block.

https://rubbercityarmory.com/product...djustable-key/
                      I often wonder why more guys don't try to run one of these or just buy the adjustable key for about $40 and add to your b/c instead of going with the adj gas blocks that at times have issues with access to the adjustment screws.

Comment

• hdrolling
                        Bloodstained
                        • Aug 2017

And the block cleared the hand guard easily top and bottom.

IMG_9023 by hd_rolling, on Flickr
                        IMG_9015 by hd_rolling, on Flickr

Comment

• hdrolling
                          Bloodstained
                          • Aug 2017

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
                          I often wonder why more guys don't try to run one of these or just buy the adjustable key for about $40 and add to your b/c instead of going with the adj gas blocks that at times have issues with access to the adjustment screws.
                          For me it was because I'm new to building and had never tried an adjustable gas block, glad I did it's very easy to use and with the extended 2mm allen I got from SLR adjusting was a breeze!

Comment

Working...
                          X