• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scout_vet
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2016

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
    For ten rounds or less I bet a Ruger Mini 30 mag would feed 6.5 Grendel. I can't see me needing more than ten rounds in a bolt action rifle.
    Been going through the threads for the mini 14 in 6.5 grendel (custom work) and the users say the x39 mags dont really work even the company who does the conversation recommends 6.8 mags.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by scout_vet View Post
      Been going through the threads for the mini 14 in 6.5 grendel (custom work) and the users say the x39 mags dont really work even the company who does the conversation recommends 6.8 mags.

I think your right about the mini 14 conversions to 6.5 Grendel not being reliable with X39 mags. I thought on a bolt action with manually working the bolt the 6.5 Grendel might feed out of the Ruger Mini 30 mags since CZ and Howa are using 7.62X39 mags.

Comment

• Dinny
        Warrior
        • Jun 2016

Originally posted by scout_vet View Post
        Tell that to all,the people in places like Michigan who are buying up every 450 bush that they can get their hands on as it allows them to hunt in shotgun areas.
        Tell them what? Their magazines are a once-off and not a simple modification to an existing design. Ruger has proven time and time again they're willing to spend money to make money. The RARR doesn't cost them alot to make and is the perfect platform to launch new calibers to test the market.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Guys:

That Ruger looks pretty solid and well designed. May just get one if they come out with a Grendel. Would get the 7.62 X 39 and have a buddy make and install a Grendel barrel but for the magazine issue. Since I can remember on this and the previous forums, the 7.62 X 39 magazines did not work with the Grendel cartridge. I have always contended that the Grendel is an ideal cartridge for a Scout rifle and I would buy one of these Rugers if they chambered it for the Grendel.

LR1955

Comment

• Kilco
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2016

Those Ruger Americans are very very nice actions and good shooters for the price point. I own one of the predator models in 6mm Creedmoor, and a 243 win stainless from when they first came out.

My father and brother each own a ranch model in 450 Bushmasrer and have enjoyed it a great deal. They claim that with the much greater magazine OAL room them can load the 450 Bushmaster to a much longer COAL and run a grain or so more powder... odd-topic, but the RAR is a great rifle.

Comment

• howl
              Warrior
              • Nov 2015

Is the Ranch action shorter than the standard short action or do they use the standard short action with a bolt stop?

Comment

• scout_vet
                Unwashed
                • Jun 2016

Originally posted by Dinny View Post
                Tell them what? Their magazines are a once-off and not a simple modification to an existing design. Ruger has proven time and time again they're willing to spend money to make money. The RARR doesn't cost them alot to make and is the perfect platform to launch new calibers to test the market.

Thanks, Dinny
                I guess I explained it wrong. The point I was making was that all the people in Michigan and other places buying up every 450 they can will make,the money for ruger. Id love to see them make a 6.5 grendel american but it will be a harder sell.

Comment

• scout_vet
                  Unwashed
                  • Jun 2016

Originally posted by howl View Post
                  Is the Ranch action shorter than the standard short action or do they use the standard short action with a bolt stop?
                  Regular short action i.e. .308 sized cartridges.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

The Ruger American actions are longer than a Rem 700 Short Action, more like a Savage.

It's way more action length than you'll possibly need for Grendel even with super long COLs.

The feel between the Ruger American and the Howa Mini or CZ Micro Mauser is very noticeable to me.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Waynejessie
                      Bloodstained
                      • Aug 2017

Originally posted by kmon View Post
                      Love my Ruger #1 in 275 Rigby for a class act. The Grendel would be an easy one for them to do as well, or any good gunsmith could rebarrel one.

Perhaps it is time we started sending emails to Ruger for a RAR and Ranch rifle in Grendel
                      The #1 is a beautiful rifle but unfortunately in today's market if something isn't "tactical" the millennials can't concentrate on it.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                        Administrator
                        • Feb 2011

Love the Ruger Americans I've fondled in stores. Needs to be "miniaturized" a la Howa Mini and CZ527.

Good point how Ruger likes Hornady. I will also point out 6.5mm is hot these days. Even follow-the-herd marketing managers with little grasp of ballistic performance advantages can understand that.

Anyway, I'm betting Ruger WILL offer this in 65G within a year. OK, two years.
                        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Kilco
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2016

Ruger was the first big manufacturer to jump on the 6.5 Creedmoor. In under a year they almost completely dropped the 243 Win (except for American rifles) and went with the Creedmoor instead.

Now they are pushing the 6mm creedmoor.. I picked up a American Predator primarily because they offer it in a 1:7.7 twist. It stabilizes and shoots the 110gr Sierra match king just fine.

I'll also agree with LRRP52 that the Howa action does feel slightly more refined..

Comment

• Rebels010
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2016

I have a ranch rifle in 300 blackout that I use with my suppressor and have been very pleased with that rifle especially when it's just a $400 rifle. The accuracy is very surprising with both super and subs. I was getting hits on a 8 inch plate at 195 yards with subsonic ammo.

I have howa mini action with 20 hb that I also love. It's a nicer rifle than the ranch, but love that the ranch comes threaded. I've been putting off threading my 20 inch and would buy a Ruger in a heart beat if they come out with one. With 3 kids all under 7 I can never have enough accurate, light recoiling rifles.

Comment

• stilesg57
                              Unwashed
                              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                              Love the Ruger Americans I've fondled in stores. Needs to be "miniaturized" a la Howa Mini and CZ527.

Good point how Ruger likes Hornady. I will also point out 6.5mm is hot these days. Even follow-the-herd marketing managers with little grasp of ballistic performance advantages can understand that.

Anyway, I'm betting Ruger WILL offer this in 65G within a year. OK, two years.
                              Agreed on all counts!

Comment

Working...
                              X