How's the quality of BROWNELLS 6.5 bolt/carrier ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • derek45
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by cb4017 View Post
    D45, can you measure the overall length of just the bolt

Thanks!
    2.800" same as my 5.56
    NRA LIFE

USPSA-IPSC

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

-Jeff Cooper

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
      Warrior
      • Nov 2016

Man stellar review, good pictures! Really helped me out I'm in the throws of deciding on what BCG to get and I need 6 of em.. still. I like your practical problem solvin' how many thou. Was that electrical tape? FWIW off the top of my head I think my headspace gauges are .005" difference. Now that I have a Wilson headspace gauge and soon more gauges I'll be casting and cataloging chambers for my new batch of barrels. Might run out of Cerro safe/true after this set.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by derek45 View Post
        2.800" same as my 5.56

Derek45 you might want to be aware the length on a 6.5 Grendel bolt generally is a little longer than a 5.56/223 bolt. I cut and pasted this reply from LRRPF52 on this sbuject from a previous discussion on 6.5 Grendel bolts.

"AA Grendel bolts are longer than 5.56 bolts, so the tail of the bolt takes up the deeper bolt face recess. Short story: You use regular AR15 firing pins. Measure your bolt length. It should be 2.810".

If you get pierced primers in your 6.5 Grendel a short bolt can be a contributing factor.

Comment

• derek45
          Bloodstained
          • Jun 2017

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
          Derek45 you might want to be aware the length on a 6.5 Grendel bolt generally is a little longer than a 5.56/223 bolt. I cut and pasted this reply from LRRPF52 on this sbuject from a previous discussion on 6.5 Grendel bolts.

"AA Grendel bolts are longer than 5.56 bolts, so the tail of the bolt takes up the deeper bolt face recess. Short story: You use regular AR15 firing pins. Measure your bolt length. It should be 2.810".

If you get pierced primers in your 6.5 Grendel a short bolt can be a contributing factor.
          Interesting.

What's the length of the JP Bolt ?

NRA LIFE

USPSA-IPSC

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

-Jeff Cooper

Comment

• derek45
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2017

so, since the face of the bolt is machined .010" further back, unless the tail is also increased .010" , you;ll end up with a firing pin that goes .010" too far forward.

Hmm...

Guess instead of test firing tomorrow, I'll call Brownells.

should have followed my gut instinct and got the JP

NRA LIFE

USPSA-IPSC

-Jeff Cooper

Comment

• derek45
              Bloodstained
              • Jun 2017

Comparing with standard 5.56 parts....

Looks like the firing pin is off by .010" also to make up for it.

Looks like it should work.

(.....until I need a new firing pin. )

Last edited by derek45; 09-17-2017, 06:13 PM.
              NRA LIFE

USPSA-IPSC

-Jeff Cooper

Comment

• Lastrites
                Warrior
                • Apr 2017

I had one sitting on the bench thats 2.815 or 2.816.

Comment

• derek45
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
                  I had one sitting on the bench thats 2.815 or 2.816.
                  JP or Brownells ?
                  NRA LIFE

USPSA-IPSC

-Jeff Cooper

Comment

• AP Smizzlers
                    Bloodstained
                    • Sep 2017

I wonder if it's a rebranded Tool Craft Bolt...

That's the one I bought for my first Grendel upper and was impressed.

Comment

• derek45
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jun 2017

Originally posted by AP Smizzlers View Post
                      I wonder if it's a rebranded Tool Craft Bolt...

That's the one I bought for my first Grendel upper and was impressed.

I wondered before I bought it

I emailed brownells Friday night, asking if they had spare extractors for it.

We'll see what they

I'll LOL if they prefer me to toolcraft
                      NRA LIFE

USPSA-IPSC

-Jeff Cooper

Comment

• VASCAR2
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Derek45, I wasn't trying to alarm you but since there was so little information on the Brownell's 6.5 Grendel BCG I thought I'd mention it. I know there have been a couple of manufactures who distributed bolts with 2.80 length bolts with standard firing pins which contributed to pierced primers. The solution was to modify the firing pin protrusion by .01. The only downside with the short bolt length is the non standard firing pin. I would have been surprised if Brownell's had not investigated the 6.5 Grendel bolt/carrier before brininging it to market.

With the way tolerances stack this may not be an issue in every barrel BCG combination.

Comment

• derek45
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jun 2017

I think as long as I remember that it takes a non USGI length firing pin, it should be OK

Do you agree ?

I was a bit alarmed when I first read your reply, groggy from a long shift Saturday, and sleeping in Sunday.

. . but after some good coffee, I started looking and measuring and things started to make sense LOL

I have to take my wife to the hospital Monday afternoon, but afterward, if there's time, I plan I test firing it ( with the brownells bolt/carrier and new FAXON 16" Gunner )

I'll save brass, and report back afterward.
                          NRA LIFE

USPSA-IPSC

-Jeff Cooper

Comment

• VASCAR2
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

With the firing pin supplied with the Brownell's bolt I think your BCG is gtg. Unfortunately a couple of times standard length firing pins were supplied and a couple manufactures got caught napping. It's a simple fix but is disconcerting on a new build to get pierced primers.

The only issue I foresee is if someone buys a Brownell's bolt and it eventually fails. The owner then buys a .281 length 6.5 Grendel bolt and then he encounters light firing pin strikes when he tries to use his Brownell's firing pin. Had I not been on the forum for several years I would have wondered why things weren't working.

At least with the length issue of 6.5 Grendel bolt being discussed on this forum members are enlightened on some of the individual characteristics of going to a non standard caliber in the AR-15. Had I been doing the specifications on a new product for Brownell's I'd probably spec a .281 bolt and standard firing pin. Could be Brownell's had a couple of vendors price BCG and Brownell's wasn't aware of the .280 and non standard firing pin compared to .281 and standard firing pin.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

One of the things Bill A. did to make Grendel as compatible as possible was spec the longer 2.810" bolt that would work with standard firing pins, so people wouldn't have to try to find another non-spec firing pin. It was one of the most overlooked dimensions on bolts in the after market.

Extractor pocket depth and pin location is different too so it will snap over the rim without impinging on the barrel extension teeth.
                              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• derek45
                                Bloodstained
                                • Jun 2017

brownells bolt ran fine tonight. primers look fine.

no problems

Life is Good
                                NRA LIFE

USPSA-IPSC

-Jeff Cooper

Comment

Working...
                                X