How's the quality of BROWNELLS 6.5 bolt/carrier ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cb4017
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by derek45 View Post
    brownells bolt ran fine tonight. primers look fine.

no problems

Life is Good
    It should be fine with the shorter FP. I know Odin Works does the same thing. Evidently LaRue does too. Just measured the bolt & FP from my LaRue 6.5 Grendel upper. Bolt is 2.800 and FP is 3.270.
    Cliff
    USN Ret., FPD Ret.

Dues Vult

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by cb4017 View Post
      It should be fine with the shorter FP. I know Odin Works does the same thing. Evidently LaRue does too. Just measured the bolt & FP from my LaRue 6.5 Grendel upper. Bolt is 2.800 and FP is 3.270.
      Measured my Odin Works bolt/firing pin and you are absolutely correct!! Rather disconcerting...

So if I understand correctly, if I want a replacement firing pin I need one specifically for 3.370?

Also how does the 2.800 bolt effect headspace? Can I only use bolts that measure 2.800 or would a 2.810 bolt with standard firing pin work?
      Last edited by Kilco; 09-20-2017, 03:43 AM.

Comment

• cb4017
        Warrior
        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
        The bolt that came with my Odin Works 16" kit is 2.810 long and uses a standard firing pin. I've interchanged it with standard 5.56 bolts.
        Hmm, the bolt that came with my Odin Works 20" is 2.800 with a shorter FP. Guess they do it both ways.
        Cliff
        USN Ret., FPD Ret.

Dues Vult

Comment

• Kilco
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by cb4017 View Post
          Hmm, the bolt that came with my Odin Works 20" is 2.800 with a shorter FP. Guess they do it both ways.
          I measured again after reading your post and you were correct.

The extra pin I have is for an AA bolt that came with my Shilen barrel.

I edited my post and I have a couple questions regarding these 2.800 bolts and shorter firing pins.
          Last edited by Kilco; 09-20-2017, 03:48 AM.

Comment

• cb4017
            Warrior
            • Dec 2016

Measured my Odin Works bolt/firing pin and you are absolutely correct!! Rather disconcerting...

So if I understand correctly, if I want a replacement firing pin I need one specifically for 3.370?

Also how does the 2.800 bolt effect headspace? Can I only use bolts that measure 2.800 or would a 2.810 bolt with standard firing pin work?

Correct. You would need the shorter FP in a 2.800" bolt. You may pierce primers with a standard length FP.

Either bolt would work as long as the appropriate FP is used. Should make no difference in headspace as long as the bolt has the correct .136" recess.

Truthfully it is probably not something I would get too worried about. In almost 40 years of shooting AR pattern guns, including my M-16, I have never broke or worn out a FP.
            Cliff
            USN Ret., FPD Ret.

Dues Vult

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

The only real down side is if a bolt fails you need to make sure you buy the same length bolt. If I broke a bolt on my LaRue I’m sure I’d get another bolt from LaRue. If it was a Franken build with a wide variety of parts from numerous sources it’s going to happen where someone is going to use the 2.81 bolt with a short firing pin or vice versa.

As much as Bill A tried to get standardization this is another example where the 6.5 Grendel has it’s little nuances. If a person only shoots 20 rounds a year with their hunting 6.5 Grendel they’ll probably never encounter a problem.

Comment

• Kilco
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2016

If my setup came with a 2.800 bolt/pin I could always swap to the 2.810 bolt and standard firing pin though, right?

Comment

• Lastrites
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2017

If my setup came with a 2.800 bolt/pin I could always swap to the 2.810 bolt and standard firing pin though, right?
                  Yep, also a std firing pin can easily be reduced that small .010 amount. Chuck it in a drill and spin it on some sand paper or fine file.

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
                    Yep, also a std firing pin can easily be reduced that small .010 amount. Chuck it in a drill and spin it on some sand paper or fine file.
                    They are usually chrome lined per mil spec I believe. So I definitely wouldn't do that to the pin side. It would probably Stark to flake off or delaminate over time. Especially if rust starts. I wouldn't recommend it at all. I'd definitely avoid this whole debacle. Im sure I'd forget. Heck I remember reading this before about the longer bolts and already forgot.. I try and K.I.S.S. as much as possible.

Has anyone measured the Lehigh bolts yet? One of the reason I pick the parts I do is for main stream compatibility. What can I say, standards are great things!

The one great thing about bronwells though is they have that 100% lifetime return policy. And so much of their stuff is made in the US of A. Love them for that.
                    Last edited by The Profit Joseph Sith; 09-21-2017, 02:34 AM.

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2016

Just received my six BCG's from AIM Surplus. They look great. Tolerances are all within .002" at worst. I would recommend them. They are the 5.56 basic nitride ones. They ARE NOT HP tested which is something I was specifically looking for. Full mass carrier good for potential modifying in the future, I might try my hand at drilling and tapping for side charger bolt handles.

Comment

• mdmfxstsb
                        Unwashed
                        • Aug 2017

Does anyone have a source for the shorter, non-spec firing pins?

Comment

• Christopher67
                          Warrior
                          • May 2015

So IF i order a Barrel/Bolt/Firing Pin from Alexander Arms, i should be good to go?

Comment

• VASCAR2
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Yes, AA sell 6.5 Grendel chambered to use .136 bolt face depth 6.5 Grendel bolt. The AA bolts length is .281 which use Standard AR-15 length firing pin.

Comment

• Christopher67
                              Warrior
                              • May 2015

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                              Yes, AA sell 6.5 Grendel chambered to use .136 bolt face depth 6.5 Grendel bolt. The AA bolts length is .281 which use Standard AR-15 length firing pin.

Awesome, thanks!

Comment

• Lastrites
                                Warrior
                                • Apr 2017

Originally posted by The Profit Joseph Sith View Post
                                They are usually chrome lined per mil spec I believe. So I definitely wouldn't do that to the pin side. It would probably Stark to flake off or delaminate over time. Especially if rust starts. I wouldn't recommend it at all. I'd definitely avoid this whole debacle. Im sure I'd forget. Heck I remember reading this before about the longer bolts and already forgot.. I try and K.I.S.S. as much as possible.
                                No debacle really as Stainless Steel firing pins can be easily bought. So chucking it a lathe or even a drill and reduce a fraction off of it is of no concern...for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X