• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill the loader
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2017

Encore loads

I've been reloading for about 4 decades, that being said I'm not an engineer. What I do know is any round shot in an encore barrel is forever to be shot in encore barrel. Will not chamber in bolt gun. Any answers. Also I'm new to the hoard. Loaded for grendel shooters, but only recently became one.
  • JASmith
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Bill the loader View Post
    ...any round shot in an encore barrel is forever to be shot in encore barrel. Will not chamber in bolt gun...
    ? ? ?

There must be more to the story. Most of us full length size when planning to shoot in multiple chambers. How is the Encore different?
    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Bill the loader
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2017

Do full length size, not sure what the problem is. But know I have to keep brass separated. It's not just one bolt gun. Had issue with several. Not all wouldn't chamber, but enough to be a real challenge.

Comment

• Bill the loader
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2017

I know encores, so nd other single shot rifles don't have the power of bolt action or semi auto action to eject spent cartridge. Believe chamber is over size somewhat to compensate. Believe brass expands too much.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

The set back on the shoulder of the Encore barrel might be different than on other barrels. When full length sizing you have to push the shoulder back enough or the round won't chamber. Some chambers might require .003 set back or a chamber might require you to bump the shoulder back .006 or more. There is a discussion on measuring brass with a lock n load cartridge case tool. Loading for different barrels may require you to screw you sizing die down further.

It is possible the chamber on the Encore is larger than the other barrels but I'd hope it isn't so large a full length sizing die would size it to fit other barrels.

Here is a link to the chamber comparator to measure brass shoulder.

A lot of people have been asking about sizing, how to approach it, do I cam over, smash the shell holder to the bottom of the sizing die, do I use a case gauge, etc. I think this method really cuts to the core of what we're trying to do with sizing, namely where we're placing the shoulder so we get consistent headspace that
          Last edited by VASCAR2; 09-05-2017, 02:57 AM.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
            Chieftain
            • May 2012

encore has a few thousands of frame stretch on firing so it is necessary to bump the shoulder during sizing which is something we have to do with the grendel in ar as well

i have a contender and bumping the shoulder is necessary on all the bottle neck rounds for the purpose of head spacing all the break action designs experience frame stretch compared to falling block single shots or bolt guns it is the nature of the beast
            Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

Working...
            X