• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickOshay
    Warrior
    • Apr 2012

Cerberus Version 2 Gel Results

Horde,

Here is the latest version of BluntForceTrama's quest for the ideal bullet - the 95 gr Cerberus V2. Thank you BFT for providing these to me for testing.

This is a continuation of his original discussion thread: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...ghlight=bullet

And his V1 results which are published in the LFP Summary Thread: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...he-6-5-Grendel

I'm sure you all will quickly notice the deep groove cut into the LFP in order for the tip to break off and create a second wound channel.

Here's how it looks seated to 2.260":

When shot into gels, the LFP performed as BFT envisioned: the tip breaks off and spins away from the penetrating base.

L to R: 2601 fps, 2373 fps, and 2250 fps.

As you can see, the wound channels are significant at the point of separation, and for the spinning tip. The lowest velocity 2250, showed the smallest wound channels as the tip separated curved to the left, than was recovered on the right side of the base after 23" and 26" respectively.

The tip did not expand at this velocity.

The total recovered weight was 95.5 gr and the tip weighed 41.1 gr.

Given a muzzle velocity of 2750 to 2800 fps, the Cerberus V2 would have a range to about 200 yds and still perform as designed.

I'll let BFT comment further on this idea.
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Thanks for excellent pix and report, ROS! Very grateful for your rigorous work testing these.

Design goal here is to create a Lead-Free Projectile (LFP) that has an excellent BC to retain velocity for maximum impact speed and yet increases wounding relative to caliber by both yawing and fragmenting.

Most hunting LFPs — like Barnes, for example — have a hollow nose cavity, which is designed to mushroom into petals upon impact. Two drawbacks: (1) Hollow nose typically requires larger meplat and chubbier ogive, reducing aerodynamic profile. (2) These designs typically require lots of velocity to get nose to open up, and don't open at lower velocities.

So if we want a sleek, pointy nose with no cavity, we need to rely on some other wounding mechanism. Yawing and tumbling is pretty well proven in Russian 7N6 5.45x39. Yawing and fragmenting is well-proven in M855. Yawing and fragmenting into two large chunks is well-proven in new M855A1.

So what we have here in Cerberus II is an analog to M855A1, but in all copper and manufactured with a straightforward lathing operation to keep costs down.

Accuracy testing remains, and we don't yet know a minimum fragmenting velocity, but — as ROS's testing shows — results are promising.

Gonna be yet another tool in the 6.5 Grendel toolshed. Hogs beware!
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

VERY interested in these. Let me know when I can throw one into a whitetail.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
        Administrator
        • Feb 2011

VERY interested in having you throw one into a whitetail. NEED some real-world testing. Will keep you posted.
        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

Comment

• Bigs28
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2016

How much would 20 or so cost to test out?

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
            Administrator
            • Feb 2011

Don't know cost at this point. Prototype run is gonna be different than production run. Again, will keep you posted.

Comment

Working...
            X