Gathering parts for my 6.5 Faxon/Noveske build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hdrolling
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2017

Gathering parts for my 6.5 Faxon/Noveske build.

This will be my first 6.5 Grendel build, and first full build. For no reason other than I want to, I decided to use Noveske parts for this build. I have a Daniel Defense, BCM, S&W and Knights/BCM rifles already.

Two of the lowers I've assembled myself so I have that part pretty much down, hand guards I've switched around as well but this will be my first barrel and gas system assembly.

The parts I've ordered so far and currently waiting on:

20" Faxon barrel via the group buy
    "Monster" bolt via the group buy
    Sionics NP3 coated bolt carrier w/ firing pin, NP3 coated cam pin and firing pin retaining pin
    Noveske marked VLTOR MUR upper with forward assist
    Noveske 16.5" NSR handguard
    Noveske low pro gas block
    Black WMD rifle length gas tube
    x3 E lander mags (just notified these are back ordered)
    Sionics auto BCG (because they were on sale and the other BC parts I ordered are on 4-6 week back order)

I already have a BCM mod 1 comp, Magpul PRS stock with mono pod, Geissele SSA-E, Harris bipod, Vortex Viper 6.5x20-44mm scope and some Magpul PRO 45 deg offset BUIS.

I'm going today to look at stripped lowers, my local shop had a few Noveske last time I was in.

Just sharing my build and and hopefully getting some help if I have any questions along the way.

I'll add photos as I get them.

tdhhh by hd_rolling, on Flickr
    Last edited by hdrolling; 09-05-2017, 08:16 PM.
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry
  • Lastrites
    Warrior
    • Apr 2017

Bring your upper with you when you go lower shopping to check for fitment.

Comment

• hdrolling
      Bloodstained
      • Aug 2017

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
      Bring your upper with you when you go lower shopping to check for fitment.
      Great advice, but I don't have that kind of patience. The upper will be here Thur, but I picked up a Gen I Noveske lower today and a Noveske marked Geissele super charging handle.

My shop only had two Noveske Lowers for the sale, the Gen I and an upper/lower billet Gen III combo. The combo was way out of my price range and I already have a MUR upper coming.

Worse case if they don't match I can use the Gen I for another build.

So with the exception of ammo I know have everything paid for and the wait begins, glad I got on the group buy now at the last minute and not months ago like some of the members have been. I couldn't image having that kind of self control!

6.5 by hd_rolling, on Flickr
      Last edited by hdrolling; 09-05-2017, 08:16 PM.

Comment

• hdrolling
        Bloodstained
        • Aug 2017

Ordered 100 rds of Hornady Black, that should get me zero'ed and see if I can get out to the 600 yd targets.

Comment

• Kilco
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2016

600 will be a walk in the park for that setup! Really nice man! Please give us a range report on how it shoots and functions for you!

I use that exact same scope on my M77 Varmint in 204 Ruger, Nd for what I paid for it I'm very impressed. Used it for a couple very low light coyote stands and it worked flawlessly.

Comment

• hdrolling
            Bloodstained
            • Aug 2017

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
            600 will be a walk in the park for that setup! Really nice man! Please give us a range report on how it shoots and functions for you!

I use that exact same scope on my M77 Varmint in 204 Ruger, Nd for what I paid for it I'm very impressed. Used it for a couple very low light coyote stands and it worked flawlessly.
            Seeing that most of the important parts are either with the group buy or on back order I have no time table on when this will be completed but once it's finished I'll add my review and maybe some video.

I bring a vortex razer HD spotter scope with me to the range and have a phonescope attachment that lets my view my hits on my phone so I don't have to physically put my eye in the spotter scope. Works great if you shoot alone or have bad eyesight.

Comment

• hdrolling
              Bloodstained
              • Aug 2017

2nd round of parts came in today, BCM LPK/Noveske Marked Vltor MUR upper/Noveske 16.7" hand guard/ Noveske gas block with black rifle length gas tube/ Noveske pivot and take down pins.

I was going to wait until I had everything but I couldn't resist assembling the lower.

IMG_8964 by hd_rolling, on Flickr
              IMG_8965 by hd_rolling, on Flickr
              IMG_8966 by hd_rolling, on Flickr

Comment

• StoneHendge
                Chieftain
                • May 2016

Looking good! No reason to wait - best way to see if you forgot anything. I was reminded that I needed a charging handle doing a build back in the Spring.
                Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• hdrolling
                  Bloodstained
                  • Aug 2017

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
                  Looking good! No reason to wait - best way to see if you forgot anything. I was reminded that I needed a charging handle doing a build back in the Spring.
                  I know I have everything ordered, but now that I have hands on I'm second guessing if I should have picked up an adjustable GB. Looking at the NSR rail and the non-adjustable I don't think an adjustable would would fit.

If we don't have the barrels by next month I think I'll order an SLR Sentry7 to have on standby to see if it would fit.

IMG_8968 by hd_rolling, on Flickr

Comment

• hdrolling
                    Bloodstained
                    • Aug 2017

Next group of parts.

Sionics NP3 coated BC and cam pin plus the firing pin and retaining pin, this will be used with my 6.5 bolt that is coming with the barrel. I picked up the other sionics BCG because they had a great sale price and I'll have it for the next build.

The SLR Sentry 7 adjustable gas block, you can see beside the Noveske low profile that their about the same size so it should fit under my hand guard.

100 rds or Hornady ammo

The hogue grip, not sure I'm going to use it on this build. Doesn't quite have the feel I thought it would so I'm sticking with the BCM grip that came with the LPK.

Last some extra BCM panels for the keymod handrail, really love these things!

Waiting on the Elander mags, barrel w/bolt and the new ADM scope mount, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

IMG_8991 by hd_rolling, on Flickr
                    IMG_8993 by hd_rolling, on Flickr
                    IMG_8992 by hd_rolling, on Flickr

Comment

• hdrolling
                      Bloodstained
                      • Aug 2017

Hopefully we're two weeks or less out from getting our 20" Faxon barrels. So while I've been waiting I decided to skip the BCM comp and picked up a VG6 Gamma 65. Also have a barrel jig to make the gas block dimples in the barrel. And last I grabbed an extended 2mm allen so I can easily reach under my handgaurd to adjust the gas block. Last thing will be a new scope but thats going to wait until next month.

Comment

• hdrolling
                        Bloodstained
                        • Aug 2017

Added a new dust cover.

IMG_8998 by hd_rolling, on Flickr
                        IMG_8999 by hd_rolling, on Flickr

Comment

• Troutguide
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2017

Dang now we are all going to have to get one of those. BFT you need to set up a group buy where we can order direct from this source!!!!! That is sweet!!!!
                          "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• hdrolling
                            Bloodstained
                            • Aug 2017

Barrel and bolt arrived today!

First I set my SLR adjustable gas block over the barrel and then slid the NSR hand gaurd over to make sure it wouldn't touch, everything was good. So I grabbed the SLR dimple jig and went out to the garage and dimpled both screw holes.

Then I pinned to the gas tube to the block, I was waiting to make sure it fit before I pinned it.

I did use blue locktite to seat the barrel even though it was already a good tight fit, and then used areoshell 33 to grease the barrel nut. Torqued it on with the x3 tighten and loosen and then installed the handguard.

Final build list:
                            Noveske Gen I lower with BCM LPK
                            Geissele SSA-E trigger
                            PRS stock with monopod
                            Elander mags
                            Noveske marked Vltor MUR upper
                            Noveske marked Geissele super charging handle
                            Sionics NP3 coated BC with monster bolt
                            16.7 Noveske NSR handguard
                            SLR sentry 7 adjustable gas block with black gas tube
                            Faxon 20" 6.5 Grendel barrel
                            VG6 Gamma 65 muzzle device
                            ADM 20 MOA QD scope mount.
                            Atlas Bipod BT46-LW17 PSR

And I have a Vortex Viper PST gen II 5-25X50 FFP scope that shipped today.

IMG_9009 by hd_rolling, on Flickr
                            IMG_9008 by hd_rolling, on Flickr
                            IMG_9011 by hd_rolling, on Flickr
                            IMG_9010 by hd_rolling, on Flickr
                            Vortex Viper PST 5-25x50 EBR-2C MRAD Scope

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                              Chieftain
                              • Oct 2016

Awwww (beep) Snookie, its all on now!
                              Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

Working...
                              X