• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spook1
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2017

Howa mini lightweight accuracy?

Guys I was all set on saving up and picking up a cz Grendel. I have a few cz rifles and they are all shooters. However the deal on the howas right now from Whittakers is hard to pass up. I have read where some people are getting great accuracy from the howa minis but it seems that most of them are the heavy barreled models. I was wondering what kind of accuracy you are getting or that I could expect from the lightweight barreled model mini that whittakers is offering. I like the lightweight of the rifle and know the barrel will heat up a little quicker. But will this be able to shoot as well as a cz? Or should I save my pennies and wait on a cz. Any help is appreciated.
  • ricsmall
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

My ltwt holds close to moa or a little better, but I probably don't have 20 rounds thru it. Been to busy to shoot it!!

Richard
    Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

I've shot my Howa Mini with the 22" Sporter barrel profile at 375yds. To me, the rounds were impacting fairly close to each other, and recoil was so light that I didn't come off target much at all. I basically just watched the impacts appear on the steel.

I haven't even shot paper with it yet, so I still need to do that, but I'm not concerned based on what I've see already. My sample size is one, however.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• smcdurmon
        Bloodstained
        • Feb 2015

I had a Lightweight 20" Howa Mini. I got a couple 3 shot groups at 100yds in the mid 0.5's, but most of the time it was a 3/4" to 1" shooter with Hornady Black 123gr ELD Ammo. Traded it to a friend of mine and he shot 2 Yotes at just over 200yds using the Hornady Black ammo.

I still have a Heavy Barreled Howa Mini and I have shot a couple groups in the 0.25-0.3" range, but most of the time its a 1/2" shooter with Hornady Black, Hornady Amax or Hornady SST Ammo. Haven't tried Handloads in it yet, but plan to in the near future.

Comment

• firefly
          Unwashed
          • Aug 2017

Just ordered a Howa 22 inch sporter and reloading dies. When I have the kit I intend to try CFE 223.
          I am located in the UK so not as easy to own firearms as in the USA. I already load for .223, .243, .270 and 45/70 so one more calibre should not be a problem.

Comment

• 4570govt
            Bloodstained
            • Aug 2017

I have a mini with 20 inch heavy barrel, I've shot her to 400 and 500 on steel while slinged up prone, no problem at all. Shot on paper at 200, no doubt a sub MOA rifle with Hornady ELD 123 grain. Has quickly become one of my favorite rifles.

Comment

• Spook1
              Unwashed
              • Sep 2017

Looks like they helped me make my decision. I see that Whitakers is out of the Grendel's that are 25% off. I actually got on there this evening to order one and see that they are out. So now I have to save a few more pennies and try and get a cz

Comment

• ThunderStick
                Unwashed
                • Sep 2017

I've been shooting a pencil barrel for nearly a year now. Mine does walk a little as it heats up, and I mean a little! 123 sst moa 3 shot at 100 yards? Easy peasy! I worked up a 120gr ballistic tip load with CFE223 this week that shots just over moa at 200 yards/3 rounds. Got 300 Nosler 129gr ABLR bullets on route to me now! I think it's the bomb for a LW WT deer rifle!

Comment

• Dinny
                  Warrior
                  • Jun 2016

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• Bill the loader
                    Bloodstained
                    • Sep 2017

I'm getting one inch, or better for 2 to 3 shots then barrel heats up and groups open some but not terrible. 22 inch skinny barrel. 123 set 27.5 TAC. 2.250 oral. 1st 2 are usually touching. But I bought it to hunt with so it's minute of doe head.

Comment

Working...
                    X