X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Capt. Morgan
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2015

Yesterday my FFL called - the tax stamp is in. Submitted last January, almost 9 months on the nose.

Hope to get out to the range Monday with the AR.

Still waiting on my bolt action Grendel from Precision Firearms.

Comment

• Capt. Morgan
      Bloodstained
      • Oct 2015

IMG_8081 (1).jpgSo ... how did it work out?

OMG Klem was right. It wasn't so much that I felt gas blowing back in the face. But when the RSO called ceasefire for target change and I dropped my mag the top round on the mag was filthy. Attached is a photo of two Hornady 123 gr. A-Max from the same box of ammo.

Guess I have a DI gun now. Quite a shock since my previous two semi-autos were a FAL and a 30 Carbine (both piston guns). It must have taken me an hour to get everything clean again!

How do you guys put up with it?

Anyway, I think I am going to put the flash hider back on the AR and restrict the can to the bolt action rifle.
      Last edited by Capt. Morgan; 10-23-2017, 03:50 PM. Reason: Attach Photo

Comment

• Capt. Morgan
        Bloodstained
        • Oct 2015

Oh - and the brass ejects about 2x the distance. Almost as far as my FAL could chuck it.

Comment

• explorecaves
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

How do I put up with it? I just look through the scope at the target and smile at the results.... LOL

Comment

• burnsy13
            Bloodstained
            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Capt. Morgan View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]10005[/ATTACH]So ... how did it work out?

OMG Klem was right. It wasn't so much that I felt gas blowing back in the face. But when the RSO called ceasefire for target change and I dropped my mag the top round on the mag was filthy. Attached is a photo of two Hornady 123 gr. A-Max from the same box of ammo.

Guess I have a DI gun now. Quite a shock since my previous two semi-autos were a FAL and a 30 Carbine (both piston guns). It must have taken me an hour to get everything clean again!

How do you guys put up with it?

Anyway, I think I am going to put the flash hider back on the AR and restrict the can to the bolt action rifle.
            Coming from shooting 5.56/9mm suppressed for the last few years, you just allocate more time to cleaning. That's it. All of my BCG's are now nickel boron or black phosphate so just hit em with the degreaser and wipe. Much easier than the standard BCGs. Microslick stuff is coming out too.

I don't think I've ever seen an accuracy decreased because of dirty rounds in the mag, I wouldn't worry about it.

Edit - also look into an adjustable carrier. I have a Bootleg carrier on the way for my 12.5" suppressed 5.56 I'll try before buying more for the 6.5G rifles.

Comment

• SDet
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2016

I just run it dirty. My grendel runs great from round 100 to round 500 after cleaning. The first hundred are iffy if I do a deep clean. So, now I only clean the barrel, chamber, and bolt face.

The Alexander arms Mags have (had) white followers, that changed quickly.

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

The crud all over the inside and magazine looks bad but it is only cosmetic. Burnsy's right, it doesn't affect accuracy to have a coat of burnt powder on the next round.

For cleaning I use a few generous sprays of WD40 to loosen-up all the carbon in the receiver and BCG. I lay a few old newspapers below as you spray and let it drip out, soaked up by the newspaper. Then wipe with a few disposable paper towels and - Voila! I agree, the amount of black crud coming out on the paper towels is a shocker but you get used to it, and it doesn't have to be brand-new-clean, just reliable clean. Like the old saying, 'It's only kinky the first time!'

It doesn't really take any longer than cleaning a non-suppressed AR, just uses a few more paper towels. The only thing is, for precision guns I like to leave the barrels dirty to retain the zero so have to watch that the degreaser doesn't go into the barrel. The only time I will clean everything and include the barrel in the cleaning is if it's an SBR or 100M subsonic gun like a 300BLK. Retaining a precise cold-bore marksman's zero is a non-issue in those types of guns.

When suppressed, the extra crud in your receiver and mag is coming back via the chamber, not the gas system. I know this being a left-hander. It comes back out the chamber from an over-pressured barrel and blasts out the ejection port into your face. Your gas system; DI or piston, regulated or unregulated, or even an adjustable carrier really has nothing to do with that. The choice of powder, the volume of the suppressor and diameter of the suppressor bore (e.g. using a 30cal suppressor on a 6.5, or a reflex suppressor with a generous blast chamber) will have more effect on the build-up of crud than the gas system.

An ultrasonic cleaner works better than a vibratory tumbler in cleaning suppressed cases and baffles. Bit more effort drying it all out so only use it occasionally and pop the primers out first. Normally I just set the vibratory tumbler for double the usual time and come back a few hours later.

Make sure you detach the suppressor from the gun after shooting. Don't store it attached is what I mean. All that carbon is hydroscopic so you don't want to encourage corrosion in the barrel.

Comment

• Crews
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jul 2017

I have a Larue rifle. It ran just fine with 2 different suppressors and the stock non-adjustable gas block, YHM ultralight 7” and a TBAC Ultra 5”. Maybe I’m just not as sensitive as some of you guys, or maybe I’m just a lot more ignorant. Who knows... but the rifle worked great with both. The AR-15 isn’t exactly a “finicky” weapon. sounds to me like there’s a whole lot of splitting hairs on this thread. Whatever suppressor you have, hang that sucker and start pulling the trigger, odds are it’s going to work. If you want to make a few changes, pony up a few bucks for a SLR AGB. It’s that simple.

Comment

• saturn
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2017

My GEMTECH ONE works fine on everything from a 5.56 AUG to a R1 300 Winmag. AR 15s 223,7.62x39,300 BO, AR10 260, 308, 300 SAUM, Bolt guns in 6.5 CM, 270 WCF, 280 AI, 30-06, 300 H&H.

Twist on quick mounts and blaze away.

6.5 Grendel AA upper (bought here) arrives today. Probably the ONE will work fine on it too.

Comment

• TKO
                      Bloodstained
                      • Feb 2017

Not familiar with the Larue issue, but with my 7" .30 cal Thunderbeast I had to dial the gas way back with my load.

I was running a standard 3 oz carbine buffer, but have since changed the steel weights out for tungsten ones to bring the buffer up to H2 weight. This was done because I had a couple of FTF's whereby the round stripped off the mag and chambered, but not fully into battery. I am hoping the added mass to the buffer will generate more momentum. I am curious to see how much, if any, I will need to open the gas system back up.

Actually, I hope it is to full gas or nearly so which will make the swap from suppressed to non-suppressed fire less involved. If the rain ever stops, I will be heading to the range to launch a few 6.5's and to do some more subsonic development with my 8" 300 AAC.

Comment

• Capt. Morgan
                        Bloodstained
                        • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                        The crud all over the inside and magazine looks bad but it is only cosmetic. Burnsy's right, it doesn't affect accuracy to have a coat of burnt powder on the next round.

For cleaning I use a few generous sprays of WD40 to loosen-up all the carbon in the receiver and BCG. I lay a few old newspapers below as you spray and let it drip out, soaked up by the newspaper. Then wipe with a few disposable paper towels and - Voila! I agree, the amount of black crud coming out on the paper towels is a shocker but you get used to it, and it doesn't have to be brand-new-clean, just reliable clean. Like the old saying, 'It's only kinky the first time!'
                        Yes, a shocker for a gas piston guy like myself. But as you say, the worst damage is probably just to my sensibilities.

I'll stick with the can on the AR for awhile. I'll get faster at deep cleaning the more I do it I suppose.

Thanks for the tips.

Comment

• chowser51
                          Unwashed
                          • Oct 2017

Anyone look at the Dead Air Sandman-K? It has no length limits. Was thinking of getting that and if it doesn't work well, I could use it with my 8.25" 300blk and use the AAC 762SDN6 with my 6.5.

Comment

• chowser51
                            Unwashed
                            • Oct 2017

Comment

• kansas
                              Bloodstained
                              • Nov 2017

... I was wondering if I should ask them to ship it without the brake installed ...
                              When buying an upper, I always ask for the muzzle devices to be removed and to have the threads wrapped in a "KAC thread protector" (some electrical tape). But now that you mention it, maybe 2 years ago, I called Larue and asked if I could buy a rifle and have them remove the muzzle device and they said NO. So glad to see they are a little more flexible now.
                              Factory installed muzzle devices can be a *itch to get off.

Comment

Working...
                              X