First time to the range with new build. What gives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • -Justin-
    Bloodstained
    • May 2017

After building a rifle, I always check to see that it will cycle through a magazine by hand, then for the first 5-10 rounds I only load 1 round in the magazine at a time and make sure the bolt locks back after every shot. Then after it passes those 2 checks I'll work up to a full magazine and see how it runs. For the grendel I've only used AA E-Lander mags and haven't had any magazine related issues.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Bolt over base malfunctions are either not enough gas, or can be too fast of a cyclic rate too, or a weak magazine spring, rough magazine body inside, so there are several possibilities.

It looks like your set-up locked back after last round.

I would try the Elanders. ASC have been hit and miss for many years.

You can disassemble the magazine and see if there are any burrs, and what the spring length looks like. Don't try to stretch the spring, because they are tempered to a certain dimension, and stretching them out might help in the short-term, but not the long-term.

What is your gas port diameter and gas system length?
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Dcommoncents
        Warrior
        • Jul 2017

I had the same problem with my ASC magazine. Although, I had another interesting problem going on in my buffer tube that seems to have been causing short stroking (I posted about this today if you want to get a laugh http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...e-Uppers/page2), I would bet your problem is magazine related since your bolt appears to be locking back. My AA magazine worked much better.

Comment

• DJL2
          Bloodstained
          • Aug 2017

LRRP - I was hoping you'd make an appearance here...
          Is there a no-BS reference for gas port diameters for different barrel and gas system lengths for the 6.5 G around? I don't have a custom build or anything planned, just curious to know...

Comment

• Crabra
            Unwashed
            • Aug 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
            Bolt over base malfunctions are either not enough gas, or can be too fast of a cyclic rate too, or a weak magazine spring, rough magazine body inside, so there are several possibilities.

It looks like your set-up locked back after last round.

I would try the Elanders. ASC have been hit and miss for many years.

You can disassemble the magazine and see if there are any burrs, and what the spring length looks like. Don't try to stretch the spring, because they are tempered to a certain dimension, and stretching them out might help in the short-term, but not the long-term.

What is your gas port diameter and gas system length?
            I am buying the E lander 5rder.

My gas port is a .75 diameter, carbine length

How do my zero groups look, prior to weapons malfunction?:
            IMG_0217.JPG

Comment

• Earl Keese
              Bloodstained
              • Apr 2017

Sorry for the off topic, but how well does the Gibbz upper fit with the a
              Aero lower?

Comment

• Crabra
                Unwashed
                • Aug 2017

Originally posted by Earl Keese View Post
                Sorry for the off topic, but how well does the Gibbz upper fit with the a
                Aero lower?
                No worries, this gives me a chance to gush over my AR a bit despite the issues...if you're asking me, the fit is excellent.

Comment

• Earl Keese
                  Bloodstained
                  • Apr 2017

Originally posted by Crabra View Post
                  No worries, this gives me a chance to gush over my AR a bit despite the issues...if you're asking me, the fit is excellent.
                  Thanks!

Comment

• DJL2
                    Bloodstained
                    • Aug 2017

Something I like to do when zeroing if I will reuse the same target is to use a permanent marker, paint marker or thick tipped pen to mark groups on the target as I shoot them. Now, if you're doing it all through the spotting scope, you can mark them after the fact if you're saving the target for reference. If I assume you are firing 3 rd groups and that you wish to be zeroed dead center on the X, it looks like you might be a 1/10 mil high, windage looks good. Your lowermost round is right on, but the group average taking into account the nearest two rounds above that is just a shade high. Punch three through a fresh target and see what you get. Ultimately, being 1/10 mil off at 100 meters (I am assuming the distance as well) is probably a non-issue.

What I assume is the last three shot group looks pretty tight too, so you got that in the plus column as well.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

I am buying the E lander 5rder.

My gas port is a .75 diameter, carbine length

How do my zero groups look, prior to weapons malfunction?:
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]9704[/ATTACH]
                      That's your gas block journal diameter on the barrel. I was asking about the gas port diameter. They are usually .068" to .094". We're talking about the tiny hole cut into the barrel to bleed gas that will cycle the action. I also can't see what gas system length you have. Is it CLGS, MLGS, or RLGS?

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Crabra
                        Unwashed
                        • Aug 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                        That's your gas block journal diameter on the barrel. I was asking about the gas port diameter. They are usually .068" to .094". We're talking about the tiny hole cut into the barrel to bleed gas that will cycle the action. I also can't see what gas system length you have. Is it CLGS, MLGS, or RLGS?
                        Sorry it took so long to respond I've been waiting on some new parts, pistol grip and stock. I have CLGS, my gas port is a .136

Comment

• Gos
                          Unwashed
                          • Dec 2017

Why does .136" sound huge to me? Don't think I've see one that large in diameter outside of sub guns.
                          For what very little it's worth, we have the same bug in our rifles. Still working out mine.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

Sorry it took so long to respond I've been waiting on some new parts, pistol grip and stock. I have CLGS, my gas port is a .136
                            .136" is larger than the port inside the gas block in most cases, which normally are .125".

On a CLGS 16", the port should be no more than .068".

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                            X