• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

Proof Reaserch soon offering Grendel barrels at midway

They also will be offering a carbon fiber wrapped barrel as well. Another option besides JP and Lilja for some top tier Grendel action!
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

I hope they make a shorter barrel. I love how the carbon fiber looks

Comment

• Kswhitetails
      Chieftain
      • Oct 2016

You know, I was just thinking about a 12.5" carbon 6.5G proof barrel and how it would make one HELL of an SBR. Damn, I've got to quit this thinking stuff my family needs to eat!
      Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• IceAxe
        Warrior
        • Jan 2014

doesn't look like a carbon wrapped barrel.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
          You know, I was just thinking about a 12.5" carbon 6.5G proof barrel and how it would make one HELL of an SBR. Damn, I've got to quit this thinking stuff my family needs to eat!
          "Daddy. I'm hungry...."

"Check out this new carbon fiber wrapped barrel, Titanium receiver set, adjustable gas bolt carrier coated in moon dust, with a Titanium silencer, topped with a thermal weapon sight! Isn't it great kids!"
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kilco
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by IceAxe View Post
            doesn't look like a carbon wrapped barrel.

There it is!

Comment

• howl
              Warrior
              • Nov 2015

What do these offer that a Faxon pencil barrel would not? Besides looking awesome one a Balios Lite and Smoke Composites UL build that I should not even think about.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                Chieftain
                • Oct 2016

Up to 64% lighter than traditional steel barrels of similar contour
                Match-grade accuracy
                Improved heat dissipation for cooler and longer lasting barrels
                No point-of-impact shift during high-volume fire
                Reduced harmonic barrel vibration

Just a few things I guess. Think of a 12.5 Faxon pencil. Then think of it half as heavy. Then think of it being able to handle higher rates of fire. All while being way neater looking. And making you feel more manly.. oh wait. I (we) are thinking again!
                Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                  Chieftain
                  • Oct 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  "Daddy. I'm hungry...."

"Check out this new carbon fiber wrapped barrel, Titanium receiver set, adjustable gas bolt carrier coated in moon dust, with a Titanium silencer, topped with a thermal weapon sight! Isn't it great kids!"
                  Seriously!~

Ok, a Larue UU kit with the 10.5 inch handguard, a proof 12.5 inch barrel, and my new Tranquillo 7.62, and an FDE battleaxe. Light, Aimpoint PRO, and some 120sp hot loads. I'd be all up in Mallya O'mighty's PDWs and ready to rumble.

I'd probably never (right?) EVER want another gun... ever... for sure.... mmhmm honey really...

Comment

• StoneHendge
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2016

As a new owner of a 24" Proof carbon fiber Cream S'more barrel, I can say they are worth every penny. The weight is a big plus but there are other factors too. This is my Cream S'more with the 24" barrel and Grendel with the 22" barrel kit.

Drogon & Greyworm.jpg

They both tip the Wally World scale at 13 lbs with the Atlas bipod (they currently share). Sure, the PRS on the Grendel is a porker compared to the Luth-AR MBA on the Cream S'more and the XRS is probably a few more ounces than the ERS, but the Cream S'more does have a JP Full Mass carrier vs a LMOS on the Grendel. The Proof is also a 24" heavy contour vs a 22" medium contour on the JP.

I was torn between a JP 22er and the Proof with the JP negative being a gas port that might be a little too big and the Proof negative being a reputation for having tolerances that might be a little too tight for an AR platform. The all in cost difference was around $150 more for the Proof over a JP barrel kit with the thermal dissipator and Teflon coating. I was leaning towards the JP since I have had a great experience with my Grendel barrel, but I had questions and no one would answer the phone or return a voice mail. I called Proof just to see if they would even pick up and I ended spending 25 minutes chatting and going over set up, including the steps of how to tune it using a SCS with the alternative spring pack and a Superlative bleed off block.

Benefits aside from weight? It really does cool faster provided its in the shade. The closest comparison I can make is to my black 20" stock barrel on my RPR in 308. After a string of 10-20 shots, I would say the Proof gets back to ambient temperature twice as fast provided its not in direct sunlight. The carbon fiber damping qualities probably come into play in a number of areas, but to give an idea of how good the qualities are, having my Magnetto strapped on doesn't perceptibly move POI while I pretty much experience a 1.5" - 2" rise with a steel barrel at 100 yds.

Accuracy? It shoots 130 grain Norma Match around 3/4" at 100 yards (I hope to prove next week that the Norma and Prime are the same ) while the JP does 5/8" with Hornady Black. The JP could put holes in holes with my pet load if I could. I haven't started loading the S'more yet (dies arrive today and powder tomorrow).

At the risk of being a heretic by posting this on a Grendel board, the accuracy speaks for itself. I guess this would be the same tube, just a different chamber, gas port and length for the Proof Grendel. You need to wait about 4-4.5 seconds to hear the impacts, but they are all audible.

All I ask for is a thumbs up from Nuggin for the portrait aspect
                    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

That Creedmoor is dialed in really nice with 130gr GT.

I think 130gr VLD bullets in the gas guns make the most sense. Are you using adjustable gas on the Creedmoor?

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                        Chieftain
                        • Oct 2016

I think he said he has a superlative bleed off GB in the video description.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post

At the risk of being a heretic by posting this on a Grendel board, the accuracy speaks for itself. I guess this would be the same tube, just a different chamber, gas port and length for the Proof Grendel. You need to wait about 4-4.5 seconds to hear the impacts, but they are all audible.

All I ask for is a thumbs up from Nuggin for the portrait aspect
                          Not only is it the proper aspect, but your videography is quite good. Very smooth. Your shootery is also impressive. 5 of 5! The view from the target was a bit dizzying, too!

Nice weapon and nice video.
                          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• StoneHendge
                            Chieftain
                            • May 2016

Yeah, using a Superlative bleed off at the recommendation of Proof. Also a JP full mass carrier and then ended up with the lighter spring in the SCS pack. All were the recommendation of Proof to delay bolt unlock as much as possible. Mike told me where to set the block and then to go down to the light spring if it didn't cycle with the medium (instead of increasing gas with the medium).

I have some 130 GTs left over from my Grendel experiment so I'm going to try those before 130 VLDs - I'd be more than happy with a nice mild load with them. I'm using a G7 of .285 which is pretty much what the Bergers are. The only 140s I'm going to try are RDFs - They're the one bullet where it seems the BC gain outweighs the velocity loss, and I've been super impressed with the 175 RDFs in 308 (I had to true UP my velocity past 800 yards). If chamber dwell time is too long with the 140s, so be it.
                            Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

I consider the 130gr GT a VLD-type bullet as the profile and BC seems to be the same as the Berger.

I have them both and my best results at 1000yds seem to come from the 130gr class.

Shooting the 140s feels a lot like a .308 to me. I can throttle really fast and shoot 4" targets in a string at 400yds, which is especially fun when they're reactive and make a large boom.

I haven't had my .260 Rem together in a long time though.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X