• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Invasive High Fence Hogs

I was contacted by the owner of a high fence game ranch in north Texas about hogs that had invaded his property. A hole had been torn in his fence and the hogs had gotten in back in February. The hole was discovered and repaired as part of regular fence maintenance activities. While he shoots hogs when he sees them and has encouraged his clients to shoot hogs (unlimited and no charge), he only runs clients through his property part of the year. He has tried trappers, but trapping failed as the traps often caught his game animals and not hogs. Hogdoggers have been consulted, but could not provide assurance that the dogs would not chase some of the exotic game.

I am not exactly sure how to describe the property except to say that it is 800 acres with maybe 100 acres of open pasture and the rest of the property being covered with trees, valleys, canyons, and hills. I would say that the property is akin to being on the edge of an escapement with most of the pasture being up top and everything else being the eroded side of the escarpment. Elevation changes from top to bottom are as much as 240 feet. There are a dozen or so man made ponds and numerous natural and enhanced pools fed by natural seeps.

The owner gave me a 90 minute tour of the property that is crossed with vehicle trails (many hidden from Google Earth by the trees) that lead to the various canyons and hunting areas. Just about anywhere there was grassland (pasture up top or small meadows down in the canyons) there was rooting. There was rooting that could be seen along the car trees in the trees as well. The owner estimates that there are at least 20 hogs, two of which he believes are boars that may be over 300 lbs.

Aside from hogs, any predators are open season as well. Three years ago, a mountain lion reeked havoc on some of his axis deer. Coyotes have managed to get in from time to time as have bobcats and foxes.

Night #1 - Did a drive through of the upper pastures to become familiar with the property and spied a herd of deer with a half dozen hogs intermixed with them. Apparently the hogs and deer (probably fallow deer) get along just fine. Was unable to shoot because I never had a clear field of fire that didn't include deer somewhere behind the hogs. One very large boar was seen with the group.

Night #2 - Waited in same pasture the following night. Saw a total of 2 hogs. The first popped out of the woods and crossed a small open area and disappeared into more woods before I even thought about trying to get my rifle on target. Later, a large animal was spotted grazing that eventually revealed itself as a hog and was shot.

Night #3 - Returned 3 days later and opted to try to hunt at a water source in one of the canyons and ended up in the campground for the property. A small sounder of shoats came in and ended up killing one before they disappeared into high vegetation. No sow was ever seen with this group. Their uniform small size would indicate that they were born on the property after the fence breech.

I am still learning this property. I can't get any more lost than the edge of the fence, but that doesn't keep me from getting turned around trying to drive at night. With so many places to hide, I am sure I will not be the solution to the owner's problem, but only a part of his management plan to help keep the hogs in check until more guns are brought to bare on the problem when his clients start arriving later this fall.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Most of the hunting experience is just being out in nature. That 2nd video sure had a small zoo of specimens to observe. Very awesome.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Les
      Warrior
      • Oct 2016

You get some wonderful opportunities. Good job.
      Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• Wildcat
        Unwashed
        • Aug 2017

jealous of your hunting opportunities! love watching the videos. thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Texas
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2016

Thank you for the excellent videos!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Wildcat View Post
            jealous of your hunting opportunities! love watching the videos. thanks for sharing.
            Thanks, but it is an unpaid working hobby. Sort of like with any job, opportunities are often earned or gained through contacts...and all that takes time. However, if you want to be jealous, be jealous of me having an understanding wife!
            Kill a hog. Save the planet.
            My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Les
              Warrior
              • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
              Thanks, but it is an unpaid working hobby. Sort of like with any job, opportunities are often earned or gained through contacts...and all that takes time. However, if you want to be jealous, be jealous of me having an understanding wife!
              Most usually are especially when they figure out how much it means to us, and mine can't stand firearms.
              Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• Troutguide
                Warrior
                • Jan 2017

My wife's understanding only goes so far. An occasional hunting trip is one thing but it's not like she would be okay with me taking off a few nights each week for "fun".
                "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

Working...
                X