• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ben6.5
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2017

First 6.5 Grendel

This is the first barrel on my Grendel reamer. After some research as to why it won't chamber AA 123 ammo I have come to the conclusion I should have bought the Grendel reamer with the parralell throat. Just going to have to use the throat reamer for now. image.jpeg
  • rabiddawg
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2013

Fwiw, if it has a parallel throat it's not a 6.5 Grendel.

Care to share why your research led you to your conclusion?

What reamer did you use?
    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• ben6.5
      Unwashed
      • Sep 2017

I used the standard Saami reamer. I found several things talking about the standard reamer and the parallel throat reamer. I tried calling AA to no avail. I checked the length of some hornady black 123 gr ammo vs AA 123 gr scenar. Base to ogive was substantially longer. Don't have numbers in front of me but it was in the neighborhood of .040. Any info that could be shared would be great. Thanks

Comment

• rabiddawg
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2013

To be clear, I'm no machinist. I'm mainly bumping the thread hoping some of our experts chime in.

I didn't word word my question properly. What I should have asked was; who made your reamer?

There have been issues with certain reamers that are called 6.5 Grendel but technically are not.

Mark Twain

Comment

• ben6.5
          Unwashed
          • Sep 2017

PTG standard Saami spec
          Last edited by ben6.5; 09-09-2017, 03:29 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Bingo

Comment

• rabiddawg
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2013

Ben you are not the first person who has had an issue after using the ptg reamer. From what I've read here the one to use is Manson.

Mark Twain

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by ben6.5 View Post
                PTG standard Saami spec
                I use the Manson SAAMI reamer that is verified with optical comparator before it's allowed out the door. There are no issues with it, and I've fixed other chambers with it before that had really short throats.

I personally refuse to let a smith use PTG reamers even when I'm doing a .223 Wylde chamber after my experiences with incorrect, short throats that would blow primers with .223 ammunition even. I've also heard complaints from manufacturers about the reamers they thought they were getting, then got another. Companies don't want to talk about it because they rely on certain tool makers for many of their other critical tooling like bore cutters, buttons, etc., so it's a touchy subject.

I was going to do a .338 Federal on a GII a few years ago as an experimental test bed for some other projects, and the smith said he had a PTG reamer he would use. I said no way for my project, and he didn't want to order another, so I never moved forward with it.

Looks like you didn't get a SAAMI spec reamer.
                Last edited by LRRPF52; 09-11-2017, 03:56 PM.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• ben6.5
                  Unwashed
                  • Sep 2017

I actually found several issues and have it chambering like a champ. I did take the throat out but still had some issues. Ill probably take it to the range this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                  X