• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Profit Joseph Sith
    Warrior
    • Nov 2016

new proof research barrels $369 "coming soon" 10/8/2017

Is this news? If it is thought ya' all might be interested.

• jurassic
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

They're in stock now, so is the carbon version.

Comment

• 1911man
      Warrior
      • May 2015

For $827 you can get the Carbon Fiber barrel. That thing better shoot 1/4 MOA or something.

Comment

• jurassic
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

I bought the stainless version, they strongly suggested the JP bolt.

Comment

• Troutguide
          Warrior
          • Jan 2017

For $827 can hire someone to go poke holes in the target for me.
          "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
            Warrior
            • Nov 2016

Lol, trout.. yeah I actually posted this in stock as well in the build section I didn't realize someone best me to this news. Why it's in the build section idk..

Comment

• js8588
              Warrior
              • Jul 2017

I have absolutely no justification for one of these over, say, a Faxon 20 inch heavy fluted but damnit, I want it.

Edit: just showed it to my fiancee and she had the same reaction. Yeah, that's why I'm marrying her.
              Last edited by js8588; 09-12-2017, 08:22 AM.

Comment

• Sticks
                Chieftain
                • Dec 2016

When I become a consistent 1/2 MOA shooter, then I will say that a Proof Research barrel is justified. Until then, it just looks pretty, and pretty does not make you a better shot.
                Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• explorecaves
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

Walk for a few days in the mountains with one and then you will see the appeal....

Comment

• Brosome
                    Unwashed
                    • Apr 2017

Originally posted by explorecaves View Post
                    Walk for a few days in the mountains with one and then you will see the appeal....
                    This guy gets it. Even running around at DMR match the weight (or lack thereof) is noticeable after a day. They are also very accurate right there with the custom Bartlein, Krieger, ect tier one barrels.

Comment

• Joseph5
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2012

I do not have a Proof Reseach barrel but if you want a lite weight rifle their carbon fiber will save you a lot of weight. I paid $600 something for a Lilja AR24 barrel. One thing I have figured out from reading about a lot of peoples experiences here is that while you may get a consistent 1 MOA or less barrel on a bargain, you may also get a consistent never 1 MOA or less barrel or it is only accurate with one load. My Lilja does not care what I put through it. I have not yet found a commercial or hand load that I could not get a 1 MOA, 5 shot group with when I do my part. I have never shot steel case wolf through it and have no intention of trying it. Top end barrels provide consistent results and I would rather have that than taking a chance on getting a good discount barrel. I am not rich by any means and have to save to get the things I want but I have learned through experience it is better to get quality even if it takes longer.

Comment

• Brett
                        Bloodstained
                        • Feb 2017

I tend to agree with this for the most part. I have a "discount barrel" and while it does shoot very well with the right load, it is very selective and likes to be clean.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                          Chieftain
                          • May 2016

To add on here, the one thing that can't be discounted with the Proof CF barrels is the thermal properties. I was pretty impressed with how fast my 22" JP Grendel barrel cools with the thermal dissipator. I've been extremely impressed with how fast my Proof Cream S'more cools. Much faster than the JP - and after burning 30% more powder. I normally bring 3 rifles to the range with me and rotate them so a barrel doesn't get too hot. The Proof is ready to go again after a string through another rifle. However they do it, they've got it down. Heat really does get sucked away from the inner steel barrel. So less thermal drift and longer barrel life since one of the biggest enemies of barrel life is putting rounds through a hot pipe.

My mouse hovered over "submit order" for quite some time before I clicked it with an $827 barrel in the cart along with a JP FMOS carrier with high pressure bolt, but I haven't had a single regret. Well one - I don't have a range long enough to take advantage of it!
                          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• js8588
                            Warrior
                            • Jul 2017

Is this barrel (the $369 stainless non-cf barrel) a significantly more accurate one than the $300-ish fluted Faxon sbn "match" barrel? I don't baby my guns so I like the nitride on the Faxon but I'm not exactly worried about shooting it out either.

Comment

• jurassic
                              Warrior
                              • Sep 2014

They just became available in this version, but they are cut rifled and Proof Research has quickly gained a reputation as making stellar barrels. They sold out quickly at Midway.

Comment

Working...
                              X