• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Daughter-Father Grendel Hog Hunt

We knew hogs were coming to our place and so showed up early in hopes that this would be an early day. It was, only the hogs that showed up were not hogs that had showed up previously on the game camera.

This was the daughter's hunt. She called the shots, figuratively and literally. To my surprise, she lasted over 15 minutes watching these hogs as we hoped for more or bigger hogs to appear. Finally, she decided we should try to take them and that she would have me shoot the outlier and she would take the other two, a plan that almost worked. She did the countdown and make an excellent shot. She helped to track the wounded hog into the chest high grass until we lost the blood trail. Actually, she is a better blood tracker than me. She then had us come back this morning and do a second search for the lost hog. After that, she narrated the video.

I had hoped that we might get to take out a big old nasty boar together, but this was so much more interesting and I really got a chance to see her perform when the pressure was on. For her third time shooting, I thought she did very well.

We did learn a sort of Wizard of Oz lesson. A hog without courage will try to run as will a hog with no heart. A hog without a brain will not go anywhere, however.
    Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 09-11-2017, 02:08 PM.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Please inform your daughter that she is both an excellent narrator and hog slayer. Thanks, once again, for both entertaining and educational videos.
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

'No brainer'...LOL!

Comment

• jackwagon
        Warrior
        • Jul 2017

I thought when pigs fly was just a saying... wow.

Comment

• Les
          Warrior
          • Oct 2016

Good stuff Dad. She's sounds very professional.
          Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2013

Thanks! I was really pleased with how she conducted herself during the hunt and then afterwards as well.

Comment

• Kilco
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2016

That opener was really amazing. Couldn't believe it when all three went down at once.. just another example of the SST carnage.

Your daughter is one hell of a shot!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2013

She did very well. She got excited when I spotted the hogs coming in, but by the time she had her rifle up and watching hogs, she seemed to transform into a focused and experienced hunter. We spoke back and forth like I would speak with any of my hunting buddies, exchanging ideas on who should target what and when we thought we should go ahead and shoot. While she has hunted with me many times, this was only the third time she has had a chance to shoot a hog. She is certainly able to hold it together better than I could when I was at that stage of hunting.

On her next birthday, she will graduate to ground hunting, stalking, and using shooting sticks. That is when things are going to get really interesting.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Another great video DNS thanks for posting. Nothing wrong with being a proud PaPa, I'd sure be!

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                    Chieftain
                    • Oct 2016

I need a "like" button. My friend, these are the days that fleetingly pass us by, and you are reminding me to get out of the house with my son. Thanks for the lesson!
                    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• rickt300
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2017

That was awesome!

Comment

• just_john
                        Chieftain
                        • Sep 2012

It is obvious that there was a significant genome generational transfer! Absolutely awesome!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

Awesome video again. It just keeps getting better and better from you.
                          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Les
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
                            I need a "like" button. My friend, these are the days that fleetingly pass us by, and you are reminding me to get out of the house with my son. Thanks for the lesson!
                            They'll be grown before you know it.
                            Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• Wildcat
                              Unwashed
                              • Aug 2017

good shooting, both of you!

Comment

Working...
                              X