• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
    Thanks Kswhitetails and VASCAR2 for the info. One question; what is Easy Engraving rifling? It's on the Faxon barrel diagram.
    Here is a description of 5 R (Easy Engraving) barrels from Faxon's web site.

"Match Series starts with 416-R in 5R rifling. 5R is a hybrid rifling, with lands opposite grooves and reduced sharp angles that reduces jacket deformation increasing velocity and easy cleaning. After rigorous testing, the barrels are Nitride treated inside and out, locking in the bore, improving barrel life, and keeping the elements at bay."

Since there are no sharp corners or edge in the rifling is why the group buy barrel is described as Easy Engraving, allows the bullet to achieve the proper spin without deforming the jacket as much which may or may not affect concentricity of the bullet compared to other types of rifling.

The 5 R Easy Engraving rifling seems to give some of the benefits of Polygonal barrels but still using a land and groove button rifled barrel.
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 09-12-2017, 06:05 PM.

Comment

• Archangel
      Unwashed
      • Sep 2017

I appreciate the tutorial! Funny what you don't know you don't know. Thanks VAS.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
        Too, since we're talking about that barrel, is the 0.136 bolt face depth consistent with an AA bolt? Oddly enough, I have an AA bolt, so I'm really trying to navigate this convoluted 6.5 G I, II, and LBC labrynth.
        Welcome aboard. Those are all chamber variants, not bolt depth measurements.

Due to the rim thickness of the cartridge, the .136" face depth, 2.810" bolt length from a reputable source is the way to go. Barrels chambered for that face depth are Grendel bolt compatible.

AA, PF, Lilja, JP, Satern, Les Baer, Faxon, Ballistic Advantage, and now LaRue have all used that face depth.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Texas
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum archangel -- is it Michael or Gabriel. GOD bless Texas!

Comment

• newb
            Warrior
            • Feb 2015

Welcome.

I know you said you are looking to learn.... but remember: we all have something to learn and we all have something to teach....

Comment

Working...
            X