• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Archangel
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2017

Another new guy

Signing in, and saying hello. I'm another new guy. I've visited before, but just became a member. I'm hoping to learn a lot from all of you.
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

Welcome sir!! Glad you decided to jump in! Do you have a rifle already or looking to build/buy one?

Comment

• Archangel
      Unwashed
      • Sep 2017

I'm in the process of building an 18" or 20" hunting Grendel...but it is a SLOOOOOOOOW process.

Comment

• just_john
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2012

Welcome! What part of the world are you in? We are always glad to help.

Comment

• Archangel
          Unwashed
          • Sep 2017

I'm in Texas; just south of DFW.

Comment

• Archangel
            Unwashed
            • Sep 2017

I live out in the country, and my boys and I love to hunt deer and hogs, so I'm looking at a "practical" Grendel for field use.

Comment

• Troutguide
              Warrior
              • Jan 2017

Welcome from the other side of DFW.
              "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• just_john
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2012

And I'm about 20 min's east of Troutguide, KMON is about 20 minutes south of me and there are many, many more. There are a whole bunch of Grendelizers in the DFW area. SO, an additional and hearty 'WELCOME'!

Comment

• Archangel
                  Unwashed
                  • Sep 2017

Thanks to all of you! I appreciate the warm welcome.

Comment

• Archangel
                    Unwashed
                    • Sep 2017

I realize there's probably a thread on this subject somewhere, but as I mentioned earlier, my build is progressing SLOOOOOOOOW. I'm looking for an 18+" fluted barrel. The problem is that I'm in need of a .750 gas block and 5/8 24 muzzle threads while NOT spending a small fortune. I'm open to your advice and guidance. Anything ya'll got will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                      Chieftain
                      • Oct 2016

Welcome to the board!

There's a thread down the main screen about do it yourself. Check that one out, read down a page or two, you'll probably get more info about that very thing than you care to take in.

5/8x24 threads seem to be sort of universal, except for the ALexander stuff (AA), and should not pose a problem. There are several makers that you will find stand above the others, but so do their prices. In the case of the least expensive but seemingly reliable and accurate, BCA is pretty recently getting decent reviews. The .750 gas gusset is fairly standard. For the 18', MLGS seems to be the general desired option.

For what it's worth, the Grendel really shines at extended range, and every extra dollar spent on the barrel/bolt combo are worth their weight in returned benefit. If I had to wait and save more to buy more barrel I would. Just my two cents.
                      Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum ARchangel! Check out the Faxon Group Buy here on 6.5 Grendel forum. Very good barrels for the price, 1:8 twist QPQ Nitride finish 5/8-24 thread pitch.

Gentlemen, Esteemed Warriors, and Vile Unwashed of the Horde, here is the official kick-off for our group buy of mid-length 18" 6.5 Grendel barrels manufactured by our esteemed partner, Faxon Firearms. Hunters find this length a great compromise between velocity and handling. These barrels feature a medium-light profile

Comment

• Archangel
                          Unwashed
                          • Sep 2017

Thanks Kswhitetails and VASCAR2 for the info. One question; what is Easy Engraving rifling? It's on the Faxon barrel diagram.

Comment

• Archangel
                            Unwashed
                            • Sep 2017

Too, since we're talking about that barrel, is the 0.136 bolt face depth consistent with an AA bolt? Oddly enough, I have an AA bolt, so I'm really trying to navigate this convoluted 6.5 G I, II, and LBC labrynth.

Comment

• just_john
                              Chieftain
                              • Sep 2012

Yes, AA bolts are the .136 face depth. Have assembled several Grendels with AA barrels and bolts - you won't go wrong with them.

Comment

Working...
                              X