• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IescapedCali
    Warrior
    • Sep 2017

Hello, from Nevada.

Good morning, Unwashed Horde! I've been lurking in the shadows over the past year or so, but decided it was time to jump in with y'all. I've been impressed with the group's support of each other, as well as the participation of the developers of this cartridge. Truly an impressive group.

As you may have guessed, I'm a transplant, here in America. Having grown weary of big-brother's overreach into my wallet and elsewhere, I transplanted my family into Northwest Nevada, where the range is open, and like-minded citizens abound.

I've started a slow-budget Grendel build, and I think I'm about to order a BCA side-charging upper, with a 20" stainless barrel. I plan to enjoy it on the range, but also to carry it deer hunting, where 350-400 yards is considered "normal". My other toys include my grandfather's Savage99 (serial # suggests 1936 manufacture), in .300Savage, a Model 70 Winchester in .30-06, and a Savage99 in .243.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forun IescapedCali! I agree this is a great forum with a lot of knowledgeable members and a great place to enjoy exchanging info about firearms.

Comment

• just_john
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2012

Welcome to the Clan from the Great State of Texas! I have a certain warm place in my heart for the 99's, took my first deer with one in .308. Glad to see that you made it to the civilized side of the Rockies!

Comment

• Kilco
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2016

Welcome to the horde!!

300 savage is a absolutely great round! Many deer have fallen tonits awesomeness.

You will enjoy your Grendel a lot. I've been contemplating picking up one of those BCA side charger myself.

Comment

• bj139
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2017

Welcome to the forum, IescapedCali.

Great user name.

I have the BCA side charging upper on my 16" BCA Grendel and it works fine.

I bought an ambi charging upper from Omega Manufacturing which I plan to use with the 20" group buy barrel here when it arrives.

I can only use manually operated rifles for deer hunting here in PA so side chargers are more like bolt actions.

Comment

• newb
            Warrior
            • Feb 2015

Welcome!

Congrats on the escape from occupied territory....

Comment

• IescapedCali
              Warrior
              • Sep 2017

Thanks for the kind welcome, everyone. I'll try not to be a pain in the butt. I tend to do more reading than posting, as I'm sure any question I have has already been asked, so I promise to go looking. Once I know more, and do more, I'll be better equipped to form a coherent question.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard. I heard an interview last week with a guy who helps people escape like he did. Former Police Officer who ran for office and couldn't get in due to the way the communists have the State rigged to favor themselves, while enacting legislation that is pro-criminal, anti-family.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Texas
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum IescapedCali. I guess having lived in Texas most of my life, I am really spoiled by the freedom and like mindedness of reasonable people.

Comment

• IescapedCali
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2017

So, I just ordered the BCA side-charging, complete upper with 20" SS barrel. They said my sandwich should be ready to ship by the end of next week. Anyone have experience to suggest what this would like best to be fed?

Comment

• bj139
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2017

I shoot Wolf steel and Hornady AMAX and they both work fine in my BCA side charger.

Put a drop of blue loctite on the charging handle or it will loosen.

I had a BCA 16" barrel on the side charger that they replaced due to grooves in the chamber.

I shot a 0.902MOA group with that barrel and the replacement is so far not as good.

Maybe it will improve with shooting.

Comment

• IescapedCali
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2017

It shipped! I have a habitat in which to keep it. Just got to pick up some feed, and a scope mount. Fortunately, my brother "needs a different mount" for his scope on his AR, so we will see if it's serviceable for my purposes. Then, out to the range to get acquainted.

Comment

• IescapedCali
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2017

It has arrived. Added an older Redfield 3-9 Widefield scope, that was sitting in the closet, with a Nikon mount. The BCA upper seems to fit the Anderson lower pretty well. All the parts that should move, seem to move smoothly and solidly, and the things that shouldn't move, don't. I bought some Wolf 100gr FMJ, and some Hornady 123gr ELD. Range trip tomorrow, early.
                          Last edited by IescapedCali; 10-14-2017, 07:19 PM.

Comment

• karaRobert
                            Unwashed
                            • Sep 2017

welcome aboard!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X