X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lastrites
    Warrior
    • Apr 2017

And that is why JP recommends a bobbed hammer for use with their yellow springs, for increase in speed.

Comment

• Troutguide
      Warrior
      • Jan 2017

Which is why I bobbed it. I used the yellow springs. If I get light strikes I will go back to the original hammer spring.
      "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• bj139
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2017

Maybe you should cut even more more off for greater energy.

There must be a reason the military specified a larger hammer with a big tail.

There is usually a reason for everyting that has certain specifications.

I switched back to the milspec hammer spring for my SHTF AR since I have had many misfires with reduced springs.

I just received 2 Larue triggers and the hammer springs are massive, stronger than milspec. Got me thinking.
        Last edited by bj139; 09-14-2017, 02:05 PM.

Comment

• derek45
          Bloodstained
          • Jun 2017

the " big tail" was for the full auto sear

civilian hammers have the notch on the end ground off

JP takes it a step further

i have 3 or 4 of them installed,.....buy with confidence

JP is top notch stuff
          NRA LIFE

USPSA-IPSC

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

-Jeff Cooper

Comment

• bj139
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2017

Yes. I see. You can get greater hammer accelaration with less mass and with adequate reliability.

To the OP: I was led to this video by reading these posts. If JP uses sandpaper, it must be OK.

Another question about the OP: Why do this?

"I also opened up my buffer and removed the weight, cut it in pieces and reassembled with a small piece in the buffer held in the center with rubber tubing on either end. It now weighs ~1.75 oz."
            Last edited by bj139; 09-14-2017, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• Troutguide
              Warrior
              • Jan 2017

First let me reiterate that I am an AR novice so do your own research, I will post the outcome of these "experiments" when I finish the gun. It may not function at all and I will have to go back to stock components or it may be as good as some competition 3 gun builds.

I am trying to reduce reciprocating mass to reduce perceived recoil and smooth the action of the gun. Again reducing spring weight and using lighter comments allows the system to perform but with less muzzle movement. I mostly just want a light gun for hunting. This will also speed the action of the gun and make follow up shots quicker and because of less movement you can stay on target. You can buy light buffers but I have more fun trying to make this work with cheap components and redneck engineering. The silicone tubing was my idea to cushion the blow of the weight inside the buffer and balance it a little better rather than all the weight at one end or just sliding around.
              Last edited by Troutguide; 09-14-2017, 03:12 PM.

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                Warrior
                • Nov 2016

Originally posted by derek45 View Post

JP is top notch stuff
                This is 100% accurate.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by derek45 View Post

JP is top notch stuff
                  Yup. The hammer tail on Mil-spec Fire Control Groups has a hook on it that interfaces with the auto sear as part of the timing mechanism that is tripped by the bolt carrier.

The selector shaft deadens the tail of the disconnector, so when you hold the trigger down, the hammer is no longer arrested by the disconnector. It then only has the auto sear to get caught on, which happens under spring tension.

This gif shows you SEMI mode for a few cycles, then FULL:

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• bj139
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2017

LR,
                    Great GIF. So the BCG releases the hammer just as the BCG locks into battery?

Comment

• Troutguide
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2017

Trigger pre-travel adjustment set screw in place and blue locktite dried. I banged it around a good bit to make sure it is safe and it is 1/4 turn away from where it really felt good so thats where I left it. Fortunately the grip screw fit without needing a washer and the threads were full length so no additional work needed. Now I have a polymer lower with brass insert that I am not sure how to handle. Thinking a small set screw in the trigger body itself going down to lower would work, but that is for another thread. Barrel should arrive later today, lets hope.

Comment

• bj139
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2017

TG,

I have a Polymer 80 lower which does not have a grip screw hole going up into the trigger pocket.

I have an aftermarket drop in trigger in that one.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                          LR,
                          Great GIF. So the BCG releases the hammer just as the BCG locks into battery?
                          In the AUTO mode on a select-fire gun, the bottom leading edge of the tail on the bolt carrier trips the AUTO sear to release the hammer right after the bolt has locked into the extension.

It acts as the timing mechanism to allow controlled automatic fire on a locked breech.
                          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• AZBackcountry
                            Bloodstained
                            • Nov 2016

My adult son uses 3 different shaped ultra fine ceramic knife sharpening sticks. They are white and are ultra fine like my Spyderco knife triangle stones. He only hones facing function surfaces to a shiny smooth at the exact angle as manufactured. He is not even taking 0.0001" off so it does not effect safety. The sticks are flat so the surface stays flat and true. I re-blue everything. It totally takes all the grit feeling out of the trigger and make them break super clean. The picture is on my Grendel before I took it apart to install JP 3.5# trigger springs. There is some TW25B Grease on the Aero trigger parts but you can see the super smooth contacting surfaces. It makes a $50 trigger feel and function like a $150 trigger. It still is a single stage 3# trigger.
                            Grendel Trigger resized.jpg
                            Life is fun when your ammo budget is more than your house payment.

Comment

• Rugerfan.64
                              Warrior
                              • May 2014

I have two AR's that I have worked the triggers over on. I did a couple of things to them in combination ,

&

They work well for me , and have proven dependable at present.

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                                Warrior
                                • Nov 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                                In the AUTO mode on a select-fire gun, the bottom leading edge of the tail on the bolt carrier trips the AUTO sear to release the hammer right after the bolt has locked into the extension.

It acts as the timing mechanism to allow controlled automatic fire on a locked breech.
                                And of course this can ONLY happen as the bolt cams and locks in and the carrier basically screws into the auto sear for the final take up to trip the sear and release the hammer. Just another way stoners design was fairly brilliant in adding safety and adding a few milliseconds delay into making sure everything goes smoothly.

Comment

Working...
                                X